You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I saw that Affinity runs a Facebook and Twitter account but I would also suggest that they should run a Google+ community. I don't think it is all that important to have a Google+ profile as much as it is to run a community page. I subscribe to several communities of graphics programs on there and I find that they work better then Facebook groups.

They are wonderful for displaying artwork, posts can be categorized easily, and it has a notification system that works across all Google products (YouTube, Gmail, Google search.) Despite the stigma that supposibly no one uses Google+ I find that the communities are at least as active if not more so then their corresponding FB groups.

Yeah, I am welll aware of Google+'s lack of engagement in general but it's communities features is actually used quite heavily. Just look at the involvment between the iDraw groups in FB and G+:

Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/iDrawusers/

Google+:

https://plus.google.com/communities/106357204714127901725

It's not uncommon for the G+ group to get 10 comments per post. Also check out how they sort the topics. There is a section for types of illustration, discussion area, the ability to view just the photos by themselves, planned events, etc.

• 2 months later...
  • Staff

I doubt that the majority of people who use OSX and iOS (people who are fully subscribed to Apple land) will also use Google+.  I only use it because I have an Android phone, and it comes as part of the package... and then I don't use it particularly.  Mainly use Facebook (if anything - I'm not a teenager and still know how to talk to people face to face).

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

There were a couple of people who showed interest in G+ communities so I just thought I would let them know about it. Speaking as someone fully entrenched in Apple land I like G+ since it has the same clean type of interface that Apple is known for. In fact I think the interface was made by an old Apple employee if I remember right.

Facebook is a pretty decent social network but their groups feature I don't think is as good as G+ communities. If you don't believe me try using it for a while and see how it stacks up to the Facebook group.