You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Photo, horrible performance.

Lurri90

Hi, I recently formatted my PC and installed the latest Affinity Photo.

When I hover the mouse over the tools it's like the program grinds to a halt, mouse starts lagging over the UI, 5 fps style.

It's worse the heavier the tool I'm using, e.g. if I use gradient tool it lags even more and eventually crashes.

I'm running Ryzen 3900x and RTX 3080, should make light work of a photo program.

I also tried previous version but it's the same behavior.

It was fine on this computer when using some older version I can't remember. I thought it was fair to let you know that is happening in the latest versions.

Should I got back to some 1.7.xx version?

Edited by Lurri90

I would check that the Renderer in Preferences of Affinity Photo is set to the GPU.
Next thing would be to reinstall drivers, even if its the same brand, changing and upgrading the GPU should always be accompanied with reinstalling the drivers.

Sketchbook (with Affinity Suite usage) | timurariman.com | gumroad.com/myclay
Windows 11 Pro - 22H2 | Ryzen 5800X3D | RTX 3090 - 24GB | 128GB |
Main SSD with 1TB | SSD 4TB | PCIe SSD 256GB (configured as Scratch disk) |

8 minutes ago, myclay said:

I would check that the Renderer in Preferences of Affinity Photo is set to the GPU.
Next thing would be to reinstall drivers, even if its the same brand, changing and upgrading the GPU should always be accompanied with reinstalling the drivers.

I'm such a nerd that I reformat the entire system if I install something new like a GPU :)

The renderer was set to the GPU, however setting it WARP fixed it (I'm guessing that's CPU).

Next time Nvidia comes out with new drivers I'll try switching back to GPU and see if it's better.

Edited by Lurri90

woha neat.
It might be possible to switch back from Warp to the GPU now since it would trigger the GPU again.

The Customer Betas (Release candidate 2) should be much faster for Windows systems than the older versions, there is an Hardware acceleration option to enable OpenCL compute acceleration and there is a benchmark tool integrated which resides under Help and then Benchmark.

Sketchbook (with Affinity Suite usage) | timurariman.com | gumroad.com/myclay
Windows 11 Pro - 22H2 | Ryzen 5800X3D | RTX 3090 - 24GB | 128GB |
Main SSD with 1TB | SSD 4TB | PCIe SSD 256GB (configured as Scratch disk) |

• 1 month later...

I have had nothing but problems with the 1.9 update. Focus merge does not work correctly when I am utilizing 2 screens. It crashes and blinks my screens out. Comes back on to sit indefinitely halfway through the merge process. So frustrating! Never had a problem with the software until the update. I went through the different tutorials and changed settings back and forth. The best solution was to turn off my second screen while doing focus merge. Please fix this.