You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Apologies if this has been asked I felt sure there would be help elsewhere but have searched and searched, 

Is there a Frame Tool in Affinity Photo? I feel I must be missing something obvious. 

I am thinking of an equivalent to the Photoshop function where you can get simple quite quick ways to make a stroke edge around a shaped box (containing a photo) within the canvas?

Thanks

Edited by ChrisElizabeth6
clarity

Hi,

one simply way is to use the rectangle tool (blue rectangle on the left) to draw a rectangle to the place of your choice.

Then set fill to "none" and increase stroke size as needed. Select frame color to taste.

Regards,

Timo

image.thumb.png.382a94d59fbb9a0f0c1601b0968a12cc.png

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

Thank you Timo

I have got to what I wanted playing with the shapes, if anyone else is interested to read the steps- make the shape of your "frame" with the shape tool (U), place your photo into the document, drag the shape to be a child layer of the photo, then use Effects (on the photo rather than shape- so upper most layer in the group) to add an Outline to act as the edge of the frame. 

This is one of those tasks that is easier if you can stop yourself from copying the Photoshop steps and just roll with Affinity's strengths, I'm very much still getting used to the differences 

Screenshot 2021-01-22 at 10.07.14.png

20 minutes ago, ChrisElizabeth6 said:

drag the shape to be a child layer of the photo, then use Effects (on the photo rather than shape- so upper most layer in the group) to add an Outline

If you drag the photo to be clipped to the shape (instead of dragging the shape to crop or mask the photo) a stroke applied to the shape will remain visible, obviating the need for an Outline effect.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 1 year later...

I would also be interested in this functionality.

I don't need to mask or clip the images - I would like to use the frame tool to scale the images to the desired size and position in the canvas. It's really easy to do this in Affinity Publisher but I can't see a similar tool in Photo.

13 minutes ago, Ben Lime said:

I would also be interested in this functionality.

I don't need to mask or clip the images - I would like to use the frame tool to scale the images to the desired size and position in the canvas. It's really easy to do this in Affinity Publisher but I can't see a similar tool in Photo.

If you have both Publisher and Photo: Simply copy a picture frame from Publisher and paste it into a Photo document. Then save it as an asset.

Or use the asset library published here:

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

8 minutes ago, Ben Lime said:

It's really easy to do this in Affinity Publisher but I can't see a similar tool in Photo.

There is no Picture Frame Tool in Photo. You could edit your document in Publisher, which has it.

Or, perhaps, you could make a document in Photo with the canvas size you want, and then use File > Place to add your image to it. At that point you can scale the image as you order it but dragging the Place Image cursor, or later by using the Move Tool to dragon it's corner handles, and position it where you want on the canvas.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1