You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How is the update process from 1.x to 2.x going to look like on Windows Store bought versions?

I guess the subject says it all. Right now if we get an upgrade it's free because it still hasn't reached 2.0. What happens if we purchase the programs in Windows 10 Store and the update from 1.x to 2.x goes live?

Just a question. Because I'm thinking of rebuying the software on Windows 10 Store (for automatic updates).

Version 2.0 will be a new purchase (and a separate installation) for all of us, regardless of which store we buy from.

I’m with @BofG on this: an Affinity Store purchase looks like the safest route.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4 (iPad 7th gen)

3 hours ago, Alfred said:

an Affinity Store purchase looks like the safest route.

Additionally, the sandboxing applied to Windows Store purchases causes some loss of functionality, as you can't easily link to the Affinity applications from other programs.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4

@stranded Don't know about Windows, but I originally bought my Photo from the Mac app store.   Then I bought Publisher and Designer from the Serif store.  The difference was so notable that I deleted the Mac app store version of Photo and bought it all over again from the Serif store. The beauty of having one's purchases all from the Serif store will evidently be really obvious (so it seems) when retail v. 1.9 is available.  It is going to be a major asset to have all our purchases on file in one location for rapid download and installation in other devices we may buy with the same operating system.  At least that is what I THINK I am reading!   Also, whenever there is an update we are automatically notified, rather than having to go searching for it.  Same price, but whopping advantages in my book!

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

1 minute ago, jmwellborn said:

The beauty of having one's purchases all from the Serif store will evidently be really obvious (so it seems) when retail v. 1.9 is available.  It is going to be a major asset to have all our purchases on file in one location for rapid download and installation in other devices we may buy with the same operating system.  At least that is what I THINK I am reading!  

If you're referring to the synchronization of content (brushes, styles, etc.) purchased from the Affinity Store between the Affinity applications and across different machines, that should work even for applications purchased from the Mac App Store or the Windows Store.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

2 hours ago, jmwellborn said:

Same price

... and money to developers.

5 hours ago, stranded said:

the update from 1.x to 2.x

This is not "Update", but "Upgrade". Therefore, it will be paid for, and it will be de facto a completely different (perhaps data-compatible?) product.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

5 hours ago, BofG said:

I imagine it won't be any time soon

Serif should release another version 1.10 as soon as possible after the release of version 1.9, so as not to give users too much hope for the soon and immediately following version 2.0. I think a lot of users expect this after version 1.9 (see the recently frequently asked questions about version 2.0). 

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

11 hours ago, Pšenda said:

Therefore, it will be paid for, and it will be de facto a completely different (perhaps data-compatible?) product.

I'd expect it to be backward but not forward compatible i.e. v2 can read v1 files but v1 can't read v2's.

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

• Staff
12 hours ago, Pšenda said:

Serif should release another version 1.10 as soon as possible after the release of version 1.9, so as not to give users too much hope for the soon and immediately following version 2.0. I think a lot of users expect this after version 1.9

I agree this would help people understand. Remember the first sold version was not 1.0 it was Designer 1.3 and Publisher launched as 1.7, so 1.9 is just a number meaning more than 1.8

I hope it is acknowledged how many new options and features have been added to 1.x since each launched and this approach is considered when looking at 2.0 for the first time. The new features included when 2.0 is launched are not going to be the end of development for 2.x but just the start. Each application will not get all of the new 2.x features on launch, but they will develop over time just like the 1.x range did. Importantly in my opinion you only should buy 2.x when the added features are enough for you to justify the expenditure. Then any more features you get in updates after that are a bonus.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

6 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

Importantly in my opinion you only should buy 2.x when the added features are enough for you to justify the expenditure.

In my opinion there’s nothing wrong with buying 2.0 even if it doesn’t have the added features you’re looking for, as long as you don’t use that purchase as an excuse to complain about it!

Alfred spacer.png

17 hours ago, Alfred said:

as long as you don’t use that purchase as an excuse to complain about it

What?

No complaining about unfixed bugs or missing features?

You may as well shut this forum down.

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

4 hours ago, carl123 said:

No complaining about unfixed bugs or missing features?

That’s not what I said, Carl! Please re-read my previous post.

Alfred spacer.png

OK then, I guess we will see when the time comes. I don't like the fact that I can't change my e-mail on the Serif purchase and had no idea I wouldn't be able to before purchasing. As for the standalone versions they should have some sort of updater included because it's a pain to update those programs one by one.

Windows Store version is just more convenient I guess but I do have my copies of all Affinity programs on my Serif account.

3 minutes ago, stranded said:

I don't like the fact that I can't change my e-mail on the Serif purchase

But it shouldn't cause any issues, as it is not used for anything except validation of the product key when you install the product. No email is sent using it, so just think of it as part of a two-factor authentication token,  not as an email address.

-- Walt
PC:

6 minutes ago, stranded said:

Windows Store version is just more convenient

Not if:

1. You need to revert to an earlier version of the application for some reason. Or
  2. The Microsoft Store is misbehaving for some reason, and not performing updates. Or
  3. You need to be able to access the program to invoke it from another program. Or
  4. Microsoft decides to add some other sandboxing restriction that impacts the operation of the program.

-- Walt
PC: