You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

individual character spacing / kerning

Is there any way to space characters differently within a word?  I am used to being able to do this in CorelDRAW and it's something I REALLY miss, and am wondering how others work around this.  The issue is not just the spacing between the letters, but (obviously) some character combinations need more spacing than others.  See the attached.  Is there another way to deal with the R / Y spacing looking too far apart in relation to the other spacing, without converting to curves and manually moving the Y over?

Untitled.afdesign

• Staff

Hi Busenitz,

You can adjust the Kerning in the Character panel (click the Character button on the context toolbar for Artistic/Frame Text tools). Place the cursor between the letters you want to adjust and input a value (or use the arrows). You can also press ⌥ (option/alt) and the ←→ (cursor keys) to adjust it.

If you're using the latest Beta, you can access the Character panel trough the menu View ▸ Studio ▸ Character (The Character and Paragraph panels were revamped in the latest Betas and are now part of the Studio panel). The kerning controls are under the Positioning and Transform section.

Ok, I am not sure what I am doing wrong, as with the cursor between the R and Y,  any inputs in the character panel effects the entire word.

However, when I put the cursor between the R and Y and use the keyboard opt+arrow, it does what I'm wanting.  MUCH easier, plus it lets me retain the text!!

THANKS SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

character kerning is completely ignored with every mac postscript type 1 font in affinity designer 1.6.1 and affinity photo 1.6.7.

when kerning is set to “auto” in the character tab, the value is always 0 with any mac ps1 font.
ttf and otf fonts are kerned correctly.
try this text, containing some critical character combinations like VO, LT, Vo, To and Te.

VOLT Vogel Top Test

needless to say, that it is essential for serious type setting that character kerning works properly.
as i mostly rely on affinity designer for my work, i’m hoping for a quick fix.

thanks, markus

1 hour ago, A_B_C said:

This seems to be true … just checked it with a few fonts. But they don’t kern in Apple’s Pages as well, though they do in Indesign. Hmm … :/

kerning is fully correct in indesign on my mac.

its just an afdesign/afphoto issue.

Yes, as I said. Indesign does it correctly. But it is not only an Affinity issue. Apple Pages, for instance, is affected as well. But of course, the Affinity suite should apply correct kerning, even with PS1 fonts. :)

Pages.thumb.png.6fad61bf8c4bb4ed3853ab359ede880e.png

think, we should compare proper behaviour of affinity designer and affinity publisher with bricky illustrator and indesign.

pages may be compared with word or something like this.
as apple dropped usb-a ports on their macs, they probably dropped ps1 font support for the same "reasons" on their apps.

but as ps1 fonts are still widely used on mac, mainly because of all the expensive fonts being purchased over the last decades,
its a necessity for a pro(ductivity) tool to support them. (the same applies to usb 3 type a for all the harddrives being bought.)
to do so is not legacy suppot – its securing investment.

Agreed. Maybe you misunderstood my post. I just meant to add some information for the developers, pointing at the fact that there are more apps affected by this issue. Maybe the Affinity apps and Pages use the same library here, I don’t know. :)

As regards ID, it will can/do a ps Type 1 fonts properly, but do make sure that the text run or style is not using Optical Kerning. With optical kerning in use, it bypasses any font metrics that may accompany the font. As well, Adobe applications do not use the OS font subsystem. Adobe uses its own font subsystem including the rendering.

It's been a million years since I used a ps Type 1 font, but as long as all the pieces are there (a type 1 font has more than a single file and are not cross-platform, though Adobe applications on a Mac can use the PC variety if placed in the proper folder).

Not to say Affinity products properly utilize these fonts. I would have to dig out a computer with a floppy drive even to get at mine to test if Affinity products on a PC does work properly with them.

ps type 1 fonts are ancient technology. I haven't had a job come here since about 2005 that even spec'd or used them. And quite simply, I wouldn't use them as-is anyway. If I had some ps type 1 font I had to use, I would convert the dang things to TT or OTF.

thats another discussion. and i can agree with some of your arguments. apart from that:

every affinity program should be able to handle any (type of) font correctly,
that ist supported by the operating system or can be loaded via font activation tools.

if it can’t, there should be intelligent error handling, like displaying a message (as with missing fonts)
or even not showing fonts in the font selection box that are not/badly supported – which of course is not my preferred solution.

i know: font handling is not yet fully featured in the current versions of affinity designer and affinity photo.

so i’m still badly missing:
__  text search (cmd-f)
__  an option to "display invisible characters"
__  a dialogue "used fonts in document"
__  a dialogue "missing fonts in document"
__  both dialogues with an option to replace fonts
__  and much more … (just to name a few).

as fully featured font handling is a must with affinity publisher i’m looking forward to its (beta) release,
where i expect these important features to also move into affinity designer and affinity photo.

but thats also another discussion, …

On 6/4/2018 at 4:10 PM, A_B_C said:

Agreed. Maybe you misunderstood my post. I just meant to add some information for the developers, pointing at the fact that there are more apps affected by this issue. Maybe the Affinity apps and Pages use the same library here, I don’t know. :)

alright—got it :-)

On 6/4/2018 at 3:29 PM, MikeW said:

Not to say Affinity products properly utilize [PS Type 1] fonts. I would have to dig out a computer with a floppy drive even to get at mine to test if Affinity products on a PC does work properly with them.

Many of Dieter Steffmann’s fonts were available as PS Type 1 at the wonderful MoorStation TypOasis, but it seems that the site did a disappearing act about a year ago. I probably still have a few of his and others’ Type 1 fonts stashed away somewhere.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 7 months later...
On 6/6/2018 at 11:24 AM, Alfred said:

Many of Dieter Steffmann’s fonts were available as PS Type 1 at the wonderful MoorStation TypOasis, but it seems that the site did a disappearing act about a year ago. I probably still have a few of his and others’ Type 1 fonts stashed away somewhere.

When I was looking for some of Graham Meade’s (GemFonts) fonts this morning, I made the serendipitous discovery that typOasis has resurfaced. yes.gif

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.