You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Unable to control which side text on path chooses

I'm running into a lot of difficulty in setting which side of a curve the text on a path feature chooses. I've linked a video, as I feel it's probably easier to demonstrate.

https://youtu.be/SluRwNK3bUk

I have a curve and I'm trying to type on the inside of it to hug the ellipse above it, but no matter where I seem to click near the curve, the text wants to go on the outside. As you can see I manage to make it work with the pen tool curve above the main piece, but the curve that I want to use isn't performing in the way documented from the help page. Is there something wrong with the path that needs to be addressed, or what am I doing wrong in this instance?

Feature request to the developers: A handle allowing people to easily switch the side of the curve the text is on would be helpful.

Thanks ahead of time for all the input provided!

Forgive me, but this has gotten even more frustrating than before. The curves from the above example came from Affinity Photo. Realizing that Photo doesn't support text on a path yet, I moved to Designer. I decided to ditch the existing curves, and make new ones, thinking that may solve this issue. Well, it did and it didn't, as each curve seems to work totally different in relation to this feature. As displayed from the video, I end up basically having to type the opposite of what I wanted and move the curve to the place in the graphic where it needs to go, as I can't seem to affect which side of the line the text decides to fall on.

https://youtu.be/ZIHmzoWjoyc

I am a mere beginner at Publisher and don't have Designer so if this is tripe kindly ignore
I drew an arc and clicked on it with the Artistic text tool
Typed in some text and it jumped around a bit
Checked the right margin in the Paragraph panel and set it to 0
The text aligns with the path, if the curve has a stroke width it doesn't compensate so to get it above the line you need to reduce the Baseline value in the Context Toolbar
Likewise if you want the top of the text to hug the arc then increase the Baseline value
If the image represents what you want to do then the attached .afpub file may help, look at the Baseline, right margin, letter spacing and stuff
Good luck

TextBelow.png

TextBelow.afpub

Microsoft Windows 11 Home, Intel i7-1360P 2.20 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Intel Iris Xe
Affinity Photo - 24/05/20, Affinity Publisher - 06/12/20, KTM Superduke - 27/09/10

4 hours ago, Hunnicutt said:

a lot of difficulty in setting which side of a curve the text on a path feature chooses

If it's on the "wrong" side, click on the Reverse Text Path button in the context toolbar.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2