You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi,

i am completly confused with color profiles @ this point 🤯

• I shoot in RAW and the color profile on my camera is set to Adobe RGB.
  • I also use a calibrated EIZO Monitor, here i also use the Adobe RGB (Monitor) Profile
  • In 99% my Photos are for Web Use, but I want to keep the larger color space in case I need it for printing someday 
  • In the Affinity Photo Settings -> Color i have set both RGB-Profiles to Adobe RGB, i belive this setting is for viewing on the Monitor, or should i choose here the  Eizo Color Profile (Adobe RGB) from my Monitor instead?

finally i am not sure how i should work and finally export my Pictures for Web Use, should i:

- Export as jpeg with an embeddet sRGB-Profile?
- Export as jpeg without any Color Profile?
- Change the Color Profile of the document in Affinity Photo to sRGB IEC61966-2.1 before exporting and when yes, do i include the same profile in the jpeg export settings?

1 minute ago, Adrenochrom said:

I shoot in RAW and the color profile on my camera is set to Adobe RGB.

That setting applies only when your camera is creating JPG images. RAW images have no standard color profile.

2 minutes ago, Adrenochrom said:

In the Affinity Photo Settings -> Color i have set both RGB-Profiles to Adobe RGB, i belive this setting is for viewing on the Monitor, or should i choose here the  Eizo Color Profile (Adobe RGB) from my Monitor instead?

The setting in Affinity is for the document's color profile. This is separate from, and has no relationship to, the monitor color profile, which you would set only in your system settings.

This Affinity Spotlight article might be useful: https://affinityspotlight.com/article/display-colour-management-in-the-affinity-apps/

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

You're welcome.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, Aktive Pupille said:

finally i am not sure how i should work and finally export my Pictures for Web Use, should i:

- Export as jpeg with an embeddet sRGB-Profile?
- Export as jpeg without any Color Profile?
- Change the Color Profile of the document in Affinity Photo to sRGB IEC61966-2.1 before exporting and when yes, do i include the same profile in the jpeg export settings?

For web use, you have to beware that some browsers don't do proper colour management. For the most consistent results you need the rgb data to be usable "as is" without relying on an icc profile.

Non colour managed browsers assume sRGB, so you will need to convert your document to that colour space prior to export. It wouldn't hurt to also embed the sRGB profile at export. When converting the document it's best to work from a copy as it's a destructive process.

Always convert images from Adobe RGB to sRGB before saving for web use. Most monitors and devices cannot show all the colours in the Adobe RGB colour space.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

2 hours ago, BofG said:

For web use, you have to beware that some browsers don't do proper colour management. For the most consistent results you need the rgb data to be usable "as is" without relying on an icc profile.

Non colour managed browsers assume sRGB, so you will need to convert your document to that colour space prior to export. It wouldn't hurt to also embed the sRGB profile at export. When converting the document it's best to work from a copy as it's a destructive process.

I always checki the final result on an iPad Pro.

Exporting JPG files with the integrated sRBG color profile is far too colorful for me. Without a color profile, the colors have a kind of washed-out look for me, in direct comparison to the original.
I export with a compression rate of 85%

on my cheap old monitor there was no such difference ;-)

From what I understand of iOS, there is no colour management so it's essentially limited to sRGB. If you view a wide gamut (e.g. Adobe RGB) image you'll get muted colours compared to the true representation. An sRGB image should display correctly.

1 hour ago, BofG said:

From what I understand of iOS, there is no colour management so it's essentially limited to sRGB. If you view a wide gamut (e.g. Adobe RGB) image you'll get muted colours compared to the true representation. An sRGB image should display correctly.

iOS has had native colour management for the last 5 years and almost all recent Apple devices have a display with approximately P3 gamut.

19 minutes ago, anon2 said:

iOS has had native colour management for the last 5 years and almost all recent Apple devices have a display with approximately P3 gamut.

I'm a bit out of date then, I did have a quick look online but couldn't find anything recent and specific.

In general though for web use it's still going to be best with sRGB. Lots of old devices out there, and ones which struggle to even get to the sRGB gamut.

• 1 year later...
On 1/21/2021 at 9:23 PM, BofG said:

I'm a bit out of date then, I did have a quick look online but couldn't find anything recent and specific.

In general though for web use it's still going to be best with sRGB. Lots of old devices out there, and ones which struggle to even get to the sRGB gamut.

This advise is outdated in 2022 (or since about 2017).

all relevant OS (windows, MacOS, IOS, Android) and web browsers (Edge, Chrome, Safari, Firefox) support color management and DCI-P3 for at least 5 years, as video / HDR has driven this in AV devices for years (DVD, BlueRay, BlueRay ultra (4K), almost every full HD and 4K monitor with HDMI and BlueRay logo.

Of course, some apps are still assuming sRGB today, like MS explorer and photo App, but images are viewed predominantly on mobile devices, either on browser or social media apps. All I tried work with DCI-P3.

Some more info 

http://www.acousticfrontiers.com/uhd-101-v2/

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

It isn't so much the software, either OS or Browser, supporting the DCI-P3 as it is that there is old hardware running a recent OS and using an up to date Browser.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

6 hours ago, NotMyFault said:

This advise is outdated in 2022 (or since about 2017).

The thing I mentioned was the devices themselves physically being unable to hit the full gamut.

Take a look at what a few current low-end laptop screens can reach and it might shock you. Some are less than 70% of sRGB.

25 minutes ago, BofG said:

The thing I mentioned was the devices themselves physically being unable to hit the full gamut.

Take a look at what a few current low-end laptop screens can reach and it might shock you. Some are less than 70% of sRGB.

If you are talking of low end windows laptops, maybe.But these devices will show wide-gamut images generally correct, only capped to srgb colors. This means only colors outside the srgb range will look slightly different, probably unnoticeable for most viewers. They wont look totally strange, or desaturated or overly saturated in general. If you see a general issue with every image, the color management is mis-configured. 

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.