You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo Mesh Tool

Sammas

I am working with a class licensing of Affinity Photo 1.8.6 and my students are having problems with the mesh tool, we are working on a font based project where they apply the mesh tool to words. It is continuously freezing, it will freeze and no longer let the student morph the word, select a different word, select or change anything else. If you try to save it will not save, they only option is to force quit the program and bring it back up choosing to restore unsaved work, often losing part of it in the process. I have spoken with my IT dept and they cannot pin point the issue, they believe it is based in affinity and not the computers. Any help would be appreciated!

They follow the steps, add text (choose font, colour, etc.), apply mesh and sometimes it will work, sometimes it will freeze. 

• Staff

Hi @Sammas,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
I've tried to reproduce the issue here but wasn't able to make it go wrong yet. Can you give a few more details please? What's the size of the document the students are working with? Are they using large font sizes? Or a large number of mesh distortion points? Any chance you can attach a sample document with the text in place that may have been saved earlier before starting causing issues? What macOS version(s) are the students using? Is it happening on the same macOS version or are the students with issues using different versions of macOS? Thank you.

I had them create a file size:

8.5 x 11 inches

300 dpi

While most do not use multiple points within the mesh tool (this is the first time most of them have used the program), they are adding the mesh tool to a lot of words within the document (normally around 30 - 50) as the project is entirely word based. 

The MAC OS they are using is Catalina 10.15.7.

I have files that have had the issue, however I cannot duplicate the issue on my computer when I try to, it seems to happen at random. It will work fine for them, then bam it freezes, and I have watched them and cannot see anything they would be doing differently to cause that (its always I added this word and then clicked mesh tool and this happened). It also sometimes happens when it rasterizes after selecting the mesh tool, it will 'select' a random part of the project, and you cannot unselect no matter what you do. In both of these cases, force quitting the program and opening the recovery file seems to be the only thing that works.  I'm at a loss at what to do next, I am trying to observe them to see if it is a user issue and I cannot find anything yet.