You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[Publisher] Creating a 148*210mm spread creates a 210*420mm spread

Hi all,

seems like I'm stumbling on problem upon problem today. When I create a new 148*210mm master spread, it ends up creating a 296*420mm spread. See attached images, first is the "new spread" dialog box, second is the "spread properties" dialog box of the newly created spread.

What is happening...? Any help will be most appreciated.

Hadrien

edit changing "page preset" back to A5 does not change it. When I click ok and open the spread properties again, it's back to "custom" and dimensions are unchanged.

Here's the file : guide_pv_002.afpub

spread_creation.PNG

spread_created.PNG

Facing means 2. But you still have the option to make a single Master page. You'll see the difference, when you create a non-facing document. With a non-facing document the options are greyed out.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

2 hours ago, Joachim_L said:

Facing means 2. But you still have the option to make a single Master page. You'll see the difference, when you create a non-facing document. With a non-facing document the options are greyed out.

Thanks, but this is was not my question ? I know facing means two pages, that is what I intended to create : two pages, each one A5, that together make up an A4. The issue is the spread size changes after creation, or rather it's created with the wrong size in the first place : 296*420mm is A3 !

I'm having a similar problem: I am trying to create a four page A5 booklet (i.e. printed double-sided one sheet of folded A4). I have created the document with 'facing pages' and with the pages defined in the spread as A5. However although the first and last pages appear a the correct size, no matter what I do the sheet occupied by the pair of centre pages is resized to to 160mmx220mm. I can't find a solution in the Help document.

3 hours ago, Alasdair B said:

I'm having a similar problem: I am trying to create a four page A5 booklet (i.e. printed double-sided one sheet of folded A4). I have created the document with 'facing pages' and with the pages defined in the spread as A5. However although the first and last pages appear a the correct size, no matter what I do the sheet occupied by the pair of centre pages is resized to to 160mmx220mm. I can't find a solution in the Help document.

Is this new for you ? I can't create an A5 document now but I could a few weeks ago. Is this human error ? I'm questioning every click now

I think this may be a new problem with Publisher but I am not certain.

I tried creating the document again from scratch and it worked right this time but I still don't know what was wrong with the previous file. However when I exported the booklet as a PDF this came out with the front and back covers printed as separate pages (i.e. 3 pages total instead of 2). I worked around this by creating the PDF with another programme (PDF Factory) but it would be nice to be able to produce a correct PDF booklet file directly from Publisher.

• Staff

Hi @Hadriscus,

Your first screenshot shows 'Master B' being created at A5, then you second screenshot shows 'Master A' at a different size.

Can you please check the size of Master B and let me know if this is showing as an A5 sheet for you?

It's likely that this document was originally created as A4 and likely resized to A5, as the 'Master A' (which is generated when creating the file) would have been for a double spread (ie 2 pages) at A4 size.

The document that you've uploaded here shows that only one master page is available, albeit at the incorrect size.

You can select this Master Page, then navigate to File > Spread Setup, here you can change the dimensions for the Master Page.

However - I have tried these steps on the document you've provided and I can certainly see that the Master page is not updating as it should!

I'm unable to create a new document that exhibits the same issue though, as in any new document the above workflow can be followed and you're even warned that the master page no longer matches the spread size.

Can you recall the last few steps taken with this file, specifically in regards to the Master Page?

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

21 hours ago, Dan C said:

However - I have tried these steps on the document you've provided and I can certainly see that the Master page is not updating as it should!

That's my experience. The difference in names is just because I took them at different times, trying whether or not it would behave differently with one and two master pages... I alo tried renaming them at one point. I should have thought this would create confusion, sorry.

I almost didn't do anything with this document, it's almost empty. I just created a cover page with a linked picture and a title, then a master page with two text frames, and finally created a double page and applied that master to it. It was at this point I realized the page was way bigger than it should be.

To say the truth, I am encountering a lot of glitches with master pages generally (having to do with editing detached mostly), but they're hard to reproduce and I'm never sure whether it's a single issue or several stringed together. I'll try to be more thorough and report those as well in the future.

• Staff

Many thanks for letting me know - after some further testing it appears that it's the Presets that are actually being ignored here, as you can manually enter any size for your master page in the document you've provided and the master page size will update accordingly.

I even typed in the physical size for A5 and this was accepted, though it still shows as a 'Custom' size.

I've personally never seen a document exhibit this behaviour in Affinity previously, so I'm certainly confident that it should not happen again. I have however logged this document with our development team for further investigation, to see if we can understand where the app went wrong!

I'm very sorry to hear you feel this way regarding master pages, it certainly would help if you could collect/provide as much information as possible regarding this so we can investigate for you - as the Master Pages in Publisher can be a little daunting when unknown.

We also have made improvements to Master Pages in our beta versions, which can be found here -

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/62-affinity-publisher-beta-forums/

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

7 hours ago, Dan C said:

I'm very sorry to hear you feel this way regarding master pages, it certainly would help if you could collect/provide as much information as possible regarding this so we can investigate for you - as the Master Pages in Publisher can be a little daunting when unknown.

We also have made improvements to Master Pages in our beta versions, which can be found here -

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/62-affinity-publisher-beta-forums/

Some of it may indeed be due to my own limited knowledge, I just don't know how much. I'll try to round up problematic files and submit them. Meanwhile, thanks for investigating these.

• 3 weeks later...

@Hadriscus @Dan C

I had the same issue, only reversed, and I found out that the reason is the DPI in the document setup. When it is set to 300 dpi, pages get the correct size when resized. I usually set mine to 600 dpi, because it prints nicer, and the pages get half the size at both width and height. I can see you document is 150 dpi, that's why yours gets doubled. Of course this is not how it's supposed to work. I've just searched if this is a known bug or I should report it, when I found your post.

• Staff

Hi @Annabella_K,

I can confirm that DPI was not the cause of the issue being reported above, Hadriscus provided a document that was in a partly corrupted state and this isn't something we've been able to replicate, or had reported since.

Can you please confirm for me, do you have an .afpub file where you're unable to set the correct size for your document spread? That was the issue being reported above, OP entered one amount but Publisher always used different values for one document only.

If this is not the issue you're seeing, then I'm not entirely certain what you're reporting here - as changing the DPI when resampling can change the size of your canvas, as explained here - 

This is expected behaviour in Affinity, as DPI can control your canvas size.

1 hour ago, Dan C said:

Hi @Annabella_K,

I can confirm that DPI was not the cause of the issue being reported above, Hadriscus provided a document that was in a partly corrupted state and this isn't something we've been able to replicate, or had reported since.

Can you please confirm for me, do you have an .afpub file where you're unable to set the correct size for your document spread? That was the issue being reported above, OP entered one amount but Publisher always used different values for one document only.

If this is not the issue you're seeing, then I'm not entirely certain what you're reporting here - as changing the DPI when resampling can change the size of your canvas, as explained here - 

This is expected behaviour in Affinity, as DPI can control your canvas size.

Hi @Dan C

OK, I probably didn't describe the issue properly. It happens in every single document I use 600 dpi. Steps to recreate:

1. Create a new document with 600 dpi. My units were in millimeter.

2. Add either a new master with a different page size, or try to resize any of the pages or master pages. I only set the dimesnions (with a preset), I left the Scaling on the default settings.  If you only resize one page, you can quickly see when flipping pages that it's not the right size, because it's gonna be tiny compared to the rest. But if you check the size again in the Spread Setup, it clearly shows it's half of what it should be.

3. Set the dpi to 300 dpi. Try to resize again with the same method -> it works.

But you are right about that if I type the dimensions manually, and not picking a preset, then it works with 600 dpi too. It didn't work for me in the previous Publisher version, hence I didn't even think about trying that again,  so thanks for pointing that out. 👍 So the problem seems to be the combination of two things, but it's good to know that it can be done in this way now. 😀

• Staff

Many thanks for the steps provided @Annabella_K - I can confirm I've been able to replicate this issue using this information and therefore I'll get it logged as a bug with our developers now!

As you've mentioned, this only appears to affect preset page sizes and manually inputting the values is a useable workaround for the time being.

Many thanks once again :D

Hah, I love seeing issues being sorted out.

I can't say how to replicate the corruption in my file -I guess it could have happened at any point, although like I said it was just, uh... prep work ? I hadn't actually made anything with that layout yet, just the master pages with some elements on it... really basic stuff, so I don't where it could have gone wrong. If it happens again you'll hear from me (not in a confrontational way, I mean I'll just ping you).

• Staff

Thanks for letting us know @deebz - please try to keep each thread and issue separate, as cross posting in different sections of the forums may increase the time it takes for us to respond, as multiple teams will have to coordinate to respond to your raised thread.

Unfortunately as you've mentioned our QA team are very busy, so I have replicated the reported issue in your thread and I will get this logged with our developers now, but please try to refrain from cross posting bug threads in the Questions section of the forums in the future where possible. Many thanks :)

On 1/22/2021 at 1:46 PM, Dan C said:

It's likely that this document was originally created as A4 and likely resized to A5

@Dan C, is there a practical reason that APub doesn't allow us to edit document dimensions after its initial creation – but instead demands us to adjust spread properties, without a chance to get new pages directly in their desired dimension? Even applying a master page incl. size feels like a cumbersome workaround only.
By the way: same for margins.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

• Staff
13 minutes ago, thomaso said:

is there a practical reason that APub doesn't allow us to edit document dimensions after its initial creation – but instead demands us to adjust spread properties, without a chance to get new pages directly in their desired dimension?

As far as I'm aware there's no architectural reason meaning the new page dialog could not also offer page sizes and I can certainly see how this would be helpful.

Therefore I will log this as an improvement with the devs now :)