You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AP colours and PSD compatibility (bug)?

Hi all,

I think this a bug, on 2 parts.

I have file (unfortunately with me featured in it) that I need to adjust. This file was edited in the latest version of Photoshop CC, and it's showing up all wrong in AP.

I'm running Big Sur 11.1 on a Mac mini (2018). I also tried opening this file on a 15" MBP (Late 2013 running Mojave 10.14.6) with the same result.

As shown in the attached screenshot, I have 4 programs open, with only 2 programs showing the file correctly.

The top left is Gimp (GIMP 2.8.18) (which I only opened the file in for testing). It doesn't work, and the colours are wrong, but the white border is missing

Next down, is Pixelmator (Version 3.9.2 Classic (201201.1932)). This opens the PSD file exactly as it should. This is what I was hoping for with AP.

Next down, is the JPG in MacOS Preview program.  That's what it should look like.

Then, on the right, we have AP (1.8.6)  which is just all wrong - worse than Gimp. Colours wrong, and the white outline border is missing.

If it was a simple colour calibration or ICC profile import, I'd be happy (as it was originally created on a PC), however I don't know what to do in this instance.

I have included the PSD file for testing if anyone can shed some light on this problem? Have I found a PSD feature not yet implemented in to AP

Many thanks and keep up the good work team! :)

Steve

622219188_Image21-1-21at13_50.thumb.jpg.1dd4541595c420ffb5fa1d9737fa71ae.jpg

weekends_stevemonro.zip

8 hours ago, vr_driver said:

This file was edited in the latest version of Photoshop CC, and it's showing up all wrong in AP.

When I open it in Photoshop CS5.5 while attempting to keep it editable, it's not displaying correctly either.

Obviously APhoto doesn't know (yet) what to do with these complex new Smart Objects.
Go to Affinity Photo > Preferences > General and uncheck "Import PSD smart objects when possible", as this is apparently a case of "not possible".

Next down, is Pixelmator (Version 3.9.2 Classic (201201.1932)). This opens the PSD file exactly as it should. This is what I was hoping for with AP.

Looks to me from your screenshot as if Pixelmator doesn't attempt to interpret these Smart Objects either, much like APhoto in the "not possible" mode.

Next down, is the JPG in MacOS Preview program.  That's what it should look like.

Preview only displays Photoshop's flattened "PSD backward compatibility layer".

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

10 hours ago, loukash said:

Obviously APhoto doesn't know (yet) what to do with these complex new Smart Objects.
Go to Affinity Photo > Preferences > General and uncheck "Import PSD smart objects when possible", as this is apparently a case of "not possible".

Ah, that did the trick! I hadn't even thought this would be the culprit. Great thinking!

AND.... all the colours are correct again! So weird!

Thank you so much!!

I have CS5.5 too on the laptop, but it did the same as you mentioned. 

I'm glad there is a work around. I'll mark it as solved.
*Happy Dance*