You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Snapping not working as expected

Hello,

I'm new to Affinity Designer, and I'm having trouble snapping two object points together. I'd like to place the upper left point of a rectangle onto the right hand point of a star (see image). As I approach the objects the vertical bounding boxes align, but nothing happens on the horizontal. I've tried changing the objects to curves, tried every option in the snapping manager, but nothing works. Even trying to place a guide at the right hand point of the star doesn't work.

Any ideas?

snapping.PNG.98f8731816eb741abef99e89a85b40ef.PNG

Welcome to the forums @Josh101

Try switching to the Point Transform Tool and dragging one the point to another – you will have to use it in 'Translate Mode' which is activated differently on different OSes (on Windows it’s hold the right mouse button while you move the point).
See attached video (I try to show where you can find the Translate option on the Status Bar at the bottom of the screen but the document scrolls)..

Thanks @GarryP. That gives me what I need. The right mouse button thing confuses me, because when I try it a context menu opens and that's all. But it works just dragging the point where I want it.

I'm still confused why the snapping options don't work with the move tool. Maybe I'm just too used to using other apps like Inkscape, and Designer approaches these same problems differently.

You’re welcome.

I too often have a problem using the right button thing but that’s probably because I’m not used to using it much.
I think it is used on Windows machines as an alternative to using a modifier key on Macs which Windows machines don’t have.
Probably not ideal but if we don’t have enough modifier keys then something else must be used.

I think the Move Tool and Point Transform Tool have different ways of working as, if one tool did everything that both tools do, then that tool would get ‘bogged down’ with functionality and may be harder to use.
As it is, you can think of the Move Tool working on the layers and the Point Transform Tool working on the points in those layers, which seems a reasonable split to me.
Just something we need to get used to, but that comes with practice.