You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How do I fill the empty/transparent parts of the text/font?

I would like to fill the clear parts of the text with white and the main part of the word LOVE with purple but I have no idea how to do it. I tried to colour it in on a separate layer behind it but I couldn't resize it then without it going all wrong. I'm still really new to this program and I have 0 experience or knowledge in design, so any help and advice would be massively appreciated!

Screenshot 2021-01-20 at 23.32.19.png

Welcome to the forums @holyroller93

In this case, convert the text to Curves and then, using the Node Tool, select and delete the nodes of the inside curves of each letter.
My attached video shows the start of the procedure.
Duplicate your text, use the procedure I mentioned on the duplicate, and then reposition the duplicate under the original text to create the background.

Wow! Thanks for the perfect reply and the video. That really helped me.

Just one more question... How would I get the centre of the letters like P and A to be hollow or clear and show what's beneath them. I fooled around clicking LAYER > GEOMETRY > DIVIDE because I'd seen that online too but I can't figure out how I can leave that little bit empty. I hope my screenshots help explain what I've done and what I'm trying to do...!

Thanks again

Screenshot 2021-01-21 at 13.41.11.png

Screenshot 2021-01-21 at 13.43.34.png

Garry P! Thanks again! You helped me and made me learn so much! Those videos were great.

I was wondering if I could push it with one last question...

I can put a border around the lightning bolt but how would I put the same boarder around the text too? As if it was all one image? Almost like a bleed line round the edge?

Screenshot 2021-01-21 at 17.28.44.png

Edited by holyroller93

There are probably many ways to do what I think you want but they will all have different pros and cons.

Option 1 – Group and Outline
If you don’t mind part of your design being rasterised upon export then you could Group the whole design – or a major part of it – and then add an Outline Effect to the group. The group will be rasterised upon export and the outline will have rounded corners but if that’s not a problem then this could be the quickest method.

Option 2 – Duplicate, Mass expansion/merging/addition with Stroke
Take a duplicate of the parts of the design the outline is supposed to be around and then keep expanding to curves, merging and adding the shapes together until you achieve a shape which is essentially the silhouette of the original (see attached image). Then add a Stroke to this duplicate.

Option 3 – Duplicate, Mass expansion/merging/addition with Contour
Only works with 1.9 but get the silhouette as with option 2 and then use the Contour Tool to make the silhouette larger.

Try each one and see which you prefer. You might get an idea for a different method while you are experimenting.

Screenshot 2021-01-22 092956.png