You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Inconsistency when using Bullets style

As shown in the attached image, I created a bullet style and adjusted the tab stop to where I was satisfied. But the first line of text kept indenting to what I later learned was the tabstop setting in the Bullets and Numbering panel of Paragraph.

Am I missing something subtle or is it a bug? Because it seems like the B&N tabstop should be the same as what I set with the ruler tabstop.

tabstops.jpg

Why do you expect them to be related?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

But the one is general, and the other is specific to Bullets and Numbering. The specific situation overrides the general situation.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

The problems I have with that are: there's no way to set the B&N tabstop by eye (which is how I like to work) and I don't see why B&N can't just work with the text ruler tabstop. Where's the advantage to it being a specific setting? As a workaround, the tabstop could be set by eye or clicking on it could bring up a field for entering the precise position.

Anyway, I thought it was a bug, but it turns out they like it that way. So I'll adapt.

I don't think it's a bug, but only Serif can say for sure. They'll be here at some point.

In the meantime, I may be able to suggest a workaround, once I'm back at my computer.

-- Walt
PC:

Best workaround I can offer, I'm afraid: Set your tab stop visually using the Text Ruler, as you prefer. Then go to the Paragraph panel, Tab Stops section, which will give you the numeric value. Copy it and use that for setting up your Bullets & Numbering tabstops, which only accept numeric values as you've mentioned.

-- Walt
PC:

16 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Best workaround I can offer, I'm afraid: Set your tab stop visually using the Text Ruler, as you prefer. Then go to the Paragraph panel, Tab Stops section, which will give you the numeric value. Copy it and use that for setting up your Bullets & Numbering tabstops, which only accept numeric values as you've mentioned.

It ain't pretty, but it'll work. Thanks again!

You're welcome.

-- Walt
PC: