You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Textflow 2 frames - Fontsize and color changes?

Hi, I am working with Publisher 1.8.6 on my new Mac mini M1 Big Sur. When I connect two text frames (text flows to the next frame) the fantasize changes to a smaller size and the color ist RGB instead of CMYK. I am using text stiles to format the text, but this does not help. Even if I try to adjust the fontsize manually, it remains bigger in the first and smaller in the second frame.

How can I fix that?

Michael

Mac Mini M1 | Big Sur 11.2.3 | Affinity Publisher, Designer, Photo 1.9.2

A common cause of this is using the wrong handle to resize a text frame. On the lower right of the frame there are two handles, one on the corner of the frame and one detached from the frame and located diagonally down and to the right.

That detached handle will resize the frame and scale its contents, and can cause the effect you've described.

If that's what happened, all you can do is copy the text, delete one or both frames, recreate the frames, and paste the text back in.

(There is also at least one bug associated with Placing some IDML files that causes similar incorrect behavior.)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hi Walt, thank you for the quick response. I know the function of the two handles. The way I insert the text is:

a. 1. Frame: Sample-text is formatted, I mark the text and overwrite it with plain text from the clipboard. Text is too much for the frame. Size, color etc. is OK (10.5 pt, color 100% K)

b. I click on the lower right red arrow, then click an drag for an new textframe

c. Text flows into the 2. frame: Alle tat in this frame is 7.9 pt, color RGB-black.

If I mark all text and increase the font size manually or add an text stile, the font size in the 1. frame remains bigger as in the 2. frame. Even if I reduce the frame size: the text that flows now into the second frame becomes smaller.

I create a new document. The behavior of the frames is as normally expected. When I copy a text frame from the problem-document to the new one, the text keeps its size over all frames.

Is there any preference in publisher or basic setting that can cause this incorrect behavior?

kind regards

Michael

11 minutes ago, Michael_ said:

Is there any preference in publisher or basic setting that can cause this incorrect behavior?

No.

I'm not sure what's going on there.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

• Staff

Hi @Michael_,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble!

I suspect the text frame that you're editing has a corrupted 'scaling' value applied, meaning any linked text frames are having unwanted scaling values applied to them without your knowledge/intent.

This is a known issue and is with our developers to be fixed. So far we've been unable to find a 'workflow' that can cause text frames to reliably end up in this state - however as you've mentioned it is text frame specific, so copying your text and pasting into a new text frame should resolve this for you!

As mentioned, this is logged with our developers and we hope to have it resolved in a future update :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

Hi Dan, thank you for your answer and sorry for my late response. I've had some trouble with my Mac mini M1. 

I have already begun to copy all pictures to a new document because presumed, the complete file was defect. Even if I inserted the text into a new frame, the ill behavior won’t change. Unfortunately my file has 180 pages with approximately 250 picture - some kind of coffee table book from my last vacation in Denmark. 

Good to know that this failure is logged in. I am looking forward to a future update 😀

Kind regards

Michael

• 2 years later...
1 hour ago, SAFolkers said:

Is there any update with this issue? I am having a lot of trouble with it also!

There has been progress in identifying some of the causes when it's due to a bug (as opposed to when it's caused by the user using the wrong handles to resize a text frame, which also can happen). The most recent complete discussion I've seen is here:

Note that it identifies two issues (besides using the wrong Text Frame handles to resize). One involves importing IDML files. The other, very simple one, involves changing the document DPI after Text Frames have been created.

No fixes exist for either problem, yet, but if your problem is related to changing the document DPI, or using the wrong handle to resize Text Frames, the workaround is simple: don't do that :)

-- Walt
PC:

Hi @SAFolkers,

Do you have a file you are able to upload exhibiting the issue so we can take a look...

Personally, I believe this is possibly one single issue (though I could be completely wrong and I know others will disagree). I don't think it has anything to do with IDML files and believe it is a Publisher only bug and while there are potential issues if scaling a Publisher frame text box as well I don't think that is the issue here, though without seeing the file it's not possible to know for sure.

In the course of trying to figure out the root cause of the issue using both Publisher only as well as IDML files opened in Publisher, my assessment (rightly or wrongly) of the issue is that there is nothing wrong with the IDML files (based on an analysis of the IMDL XML data), they are simply a 'victim' of the Publisher bug and it is reasonably easy to rectify the issue regardless of whether the source file is Publisher only or an InDesign file opened in Publisher.

I appreciate in your particular case there may be no InDesign files invloved so this is more just for reference...

A quick look at a sample file with the issue should hopefully highlight what is quite a simple issue to rectify (in theory) so happy to take a look to see if this is the case or if there is something else going on here... :)

Affinity Designer 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1.2344
Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.6.8, Magic Mouse