You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Help improve the product ...

Is this on purpose, that the two checkboxes in Preferences >> Miscellaneous are checked and unavailable contrary to the retail version? Does this mean, crash reports are uploaded without my consent? Or maybe I overread this in the EULA?

helpimprove.jpg

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

I am seeing the same behaviour. Apub RC1 1.9.0.902

Asus ROG Strix G17 Notebook:
AMD Ryzen 7 5800H 3.80 GHz with Radeon Vega Graphics | 32GB DDR4 3200mHz RAM
Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB Gfx | 2x 2TB SSD NVMe PCIe M.2 3x4 | Windows 11 Version 22H2 Build 22623.870

• Staff

Yes, crash reports are and this is currently by design, as part of the optional Beta process. Access to the latest builds is in return for an implicit agreement to help us improve them when they crash. 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Thanks for your reply. So we could refrain from posting beta crash reports here, because you get them anyway? Just curious.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

5 minutes ago, Joachim_L said:

So we could refrain from posting beta crash reports here, because you get them anyway? Just curious.

Good question, which Mark will answer (probably).

My understanding, though, is that even if the crash reports are uploaded automatically, there is nothing that links them to the crash description that you'd post in the forums. The description of what you were doing is important for debugging and fixing the problem.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

2 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

The description of what you were doing is important for debugging and fixing the problem.

So it could be spared to upload them anyway when they are more or less useless?

------

• Staff
7 minutes ago, Joachim_L said:

So it could be spared to upload them anyway when they are more or less useless?

statistically no. If we get a lot of crashes in one location that is the one to look at first. MANY (most) users download the betas and never post on these forums, so their most important input/help is their crashes.

Proper descriptions made here, with an associated uploaded crash are always better than  anonymous crash reports, but when you have nothing else a crash report is a starting point, and a lot of similar ones more important than a single one.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

1 hour ago, Joachim_L said:

Thanks for your reply. So we could refrain from posting beta crash reports here, because you get them anyway? Just curious.

No, the uploads are completely anonymous (unless you offer to include your email address, via the Preferences), with no option of attaching additional info. So it's still it's still incredibly useful for you to upload crash reports to a forum post, that describes what you were doing. That way we can try to reproduce, we can talk to you, and we can investigate the crash report.

With the uploaded reports, we can look at the most significant crashes, and prioritise fixes that way, but generally I use that more for the retail builds, as the beta builds tend to be a little more "crashy" and therefore the reports are a little "noisier".

5 minutes ago, Mark Ingram said:

No, the uploads are completely anonymous (unless you offer to include your email address, via the Preferences)

I can't disable sharing my e-mail in the beta - ghosted.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.