You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Vector Brush Not Functioning - iPad Beta 1.9

The vector brush within the Designer iPad Beta 1.9 is still not functioning correctly.  When I touch the tip of the Apple Pencil on the screen, the brush spins uncontrollably or creates a "blob" on the very tip of the brush stroke.

This was an issue on the current released version, and has been an issue (from what I can see in the forum) for years.  Can this PLEASE  be fixed before the beta version is released?  This is a HUGE issue when trying to draw precise drawings using the vector brush. You cannot have a stroke that is not precise every single time the pencil touches the screen, or be required to edit every single stroke that you create within a file.  Currently the vector brush is not usable because of this issue.  See attached video showing the problem.

Please fix this issue. It is a function that EVERY other vector drawing app out there has fixed. I've tried them all and none have this issue when using the apple pencil to draw with a vector brush.

6 hours ago, lafasta said:

Can this PLEASE  be fixed before the beta version is released?

Hi lafasta, I’m not seeing any blobs either. Try setting the brush Controller to Pressure (in Context menu), or better yet, to  Brush Defaults, rather than None. That way the brush should perform as intended.

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

From what I understand, the problem can be reduced with a faster and more decisive action of drawing. 
Another alternative is to use a little stretch stabilization. 
In fact, compared to raster strokes, there is a bit of "movement" when you hold the pen over a point and create two nodes. 

I don't know if it's a solvable problem.

Ciao
Fabio

• Staff

Hi lafasta,

This is a bit of a tricky one. As I understand it (Matt may be able to give a better description) the issue is that you've got quite a large brush size, compared to the length of the stroke, and as they're texture brushes they have a start and an end section of the texture image. The direction of which is decided by the node's handle position) so if you end up hesitating in an area of the image it will constantly change the direction based on the very tiny movements your Pen is making on the screen.

6 hours ago, Sean P said:

Hi lafasta,

This is a bit of a tricky one. As I understand it (Matt may be able to give a better description) the issue is that you've got quite a large brush size, compared to the length of the stroke, and as they're texture brushes they have a start and an end section of the texture image. The direction of which is decided by the node's handle position) so if you end up hesitating in an area of the image it will constantly change the direction based on the very tiny movements your Pen is making on the screen.

Ok thank you, your explanation make complete sense, BUT how do we fix it. And it's not so much that there is a start and end section to the brush, but that the brush section actually SPINS around and around in a circle even if I leave the pencil completely still before dragging to create a stroke.  This is actually what causes the circle/rainbow shape at the beginning of each stroke.  If the spinning action could just be stopped, I think that would actually solve the problem all together.  Or maybe the sensitivity of the angles for the vector brush could be lowered so the spinning stops? I'm not an app developer so these are obviously novice suggestions, lol.

I think what makes this more of an issue is that I don't have this problem on any other vector based app I've tried on my iPad, and it really makes using the vector brush with textured brushed pretty much impossible. I love the affinity products so much, but it seems incomplete without the vector brush function. 

I'm really hoping there is a fix to the "spinning" issue to the vector brush before full release. It would be a shame to wait months or years more for it to be fi

3 hours ago, HarryMcGovern said:

Same here.

no matter what brush type. No matter what size. It’s just more noticeable at larger sizes.

Same here too.
Sean’s explanation describes why this is happening but I agree, it shouldn’t be doing this.

A workaround would be to use the rope stabiliser as it appears to delay drawing the start of the stroke until the pencil has moved a few mm, (Fractions of an inch for the non metric readers🙂), thus establishing the initial direction . This prevents the 'spinning' action we are seeing without the stabiliser..

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

5 hours ago, DM1 said:

Same here too.
Sean’s explanation describes why this is happening but I agree, it shouldn’t be doing this.

A workaround would be to use the rope stabiliser as it appears to delay drawing the start of the stroke until the pencil has moved a few mm, (Fractions of an inch for the non metric readers🙂), thus establishing the initial direction . This prevents the 'spinning' action we are seeing without the stabiliser..

The window stabilizer will also work if you're moving relatively fast.

That said, this is not a 1.9 bug, or even an iPad bug. This behaviour happens on all previous versions, and it also happen on Windows, both on a desktop PC (with a graphics tablet such as a Wacom Intuos) or a tablet pen (such as a Surface Pro). It even happens with a mouse, and I'm pretty sure it also happens on macOS.

Fixing this will need a rework of how the pen and mouse input works, so it won't come on 1.9. I think it used to be worse in 1.7 and before, I believe some work to address this has made on 1.8, but not enough to fix it for good.

13 hours ago, LCamachoDesign said:

The window stabilizer will also work if you're moving relatively fast.

That said, this is not a 1.9 bug, or even an iPad bug. This behaviour happens on all previous versions, and it also happen on Windows, both on a desktop PC (with a graphics tablet such as a Wacom Intuos) or a tablet pen (such as a Surface Pro). It even happens with a mouse, and I'm pretty sure it also happens on macOS.

Fixing this will need a rework of how the pen and mouse input works, so it won't come on 1.9. I think it used to be worse in 1.7 and before, I believe some work to address this has made on 1.8, but not enough to fix it for good.

That's really to bad to hear.  I also tested this with the "pencil" tool today (not the vector brush) and the same thing happens, although less noticeable because it's a solid stroke.  I was really hoping this issue would be fixed when the app was updated next, especially since it seems to be an ongoing issue for years, like you mentioned.  But I guess that was just wishful thinking. It's a real shame because it's really the only thing keeping Affinity Designer from being a really great vector drawing app.  Fingers crossed maybe they'll surprise us!    

• 5 months later...

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.