You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

PDF Export from Publisher using Apple M1 Silicon

I regularly create PDFs for my clients to proof projects. Most will mark up the PDF, send it back, and I review their edits in the Comments tab.

Since I recently purchased a new Apple Powerbook with the Apple silicon, my clients can no longer use the markup feature in Adobe Acrobat. Specifically any of the highlight, underline, or strike out options.

I'm also concerned that Publisher will not create a properly formatted PDF when it comes time to send a file to the print vendor.

In looking new PDFs versus old ones I've exported from Publisher, I see that the encoding software is now listed as "PDFlib+PDI 9.1.2p1-i (generic)", while in the older, pre-M1 exports, its listed as "PDFlib+PDI 9.1.2p1-i (OS X/macOS)". I assume this may be a compatibility issue with Acrobat.

I saw this article from back in the Fall: Acrobat M1 Compatibility 

Is there a fix or a workaround for this issue?

Thanks for the extensive test. I was able to do the same with a new document.

I did some more tests on my files, that were originally created on my old MacBook and moved over to the new machine. Once opened in Acrobat, some text was able to receive the markup, but other text was not. Even the on the same page.

I took one of the smaller Publisher files, collected the assets, and I sent them to my old MacBook (Intel silicon, running Big Sur). After one-by-one reconnecting the linked images, Publisher on the old machine was able to generate a fully working PDF, capable of being marked-up. In a small file this workaround is bearable, but anything with a large number of assets is a real pain.

Again, thanks for taking the time to do the test.

Still working through this issue, but it would appear it is font-related. Oddly, it effected some weights within a specific font family (Futura) from the same foundry (Bitstream). I've used this font a lot over the years, without any issues. It seemed to effect the Condensed versions more than the others. It also did the same thing with condensed faces in Helvetica.

20 hours ago, dferber said:

Still working through this issue, but it would appear it is font-related. Oddly, it effected some weights within a specific font family (Futura) from the same foundry (Bitstream). I've used this font a lot over the years, without any issues. It seemed to effect the Condensed versions more than the others. It also did the same thing with condensed faces in Helvetica.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

• Staff

@dferber sorry to hear you're having trouble!

We've seen a few issues with PDF export on the new M1 machines, could you please try the latest beta version and let me know if this produces a PDF that's able to use the Mark-up features in Acrobat?

Many thanks in advance :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

3 hours ago, Dan C said:

@dferber sorry to hear you're having trouble!

We've seen a few issues with PDF export on the new M1 machines, could you please try the latest beta version and let me know if this produces a PDF that's able to use the Mark-up features in Acrobat?

Many thanks in advance :)

I ran a test on a copy of a project I was having trouble with, and the exported PDF is working for both myself and my client, who was kind enough to test it for me.

Thanks for the help. Do you have any idea when the updated Publisher will be released?

• Staff

That's great news, many thanks for trying that and for letting me know!

We don't have any public dates yet but as certain apps are in the 'release candidate' phase we hope for this to be available shortly :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!