You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello. I am trying to follow along with a paid tutorial and the author is unable to replicate the issue but it is affecting a few of us. So there must be some type of common issue among us.

The issue that we are having is trying to set up custom macros. The process is to go to View→Studio→Reset Studio.

This is to get all the students on the same page as far as the program looks, even though this is annoying because I had it set up the way I liked it. I wish we could make profiles for that.

Then we add the Library and Macro tabs back in (sigh…). In this case, I create a new category in Library called SimonFosterSpecialEfftects. With it selected (by clicking on it and the left-ish arrow facing downwards), I switch back to the macro tab and press the record button. This is a paid tutorial so I don’t feel it’s right to really share anything like video recordings, so I’ll do my best to describe the process in full.

We begin by importing an image from the resources into the project. Then, we undock the adjustments panel and drag it onto the canvas to be able to use it while still being able to see everything else. Then you begin by hitting the record button on the macro tab to begin.

We will be adding four adjustment layers to this project. The first is the Selective color adjustment. Then we just “x” out of the dialog box and move to the next one.

The next one is the channel mixer adjustment and the same as before, you just “x” out of the dialog box and move to the next one.

The next one is the hsl adjustment layer, same process and the final is a curves adjustment layer.

From here, we are just renaming the layers but this is where I think the problem may be starting. With the top layer selected still, when you select the selective color adjustment layer it brings up a dialog box asking you which option you want to choose.

The option that he has us choose is the “Select Layer 3 below current” option. When you do this, you are able to rename the layer. I don’t think it matters, but just to be thorough we name the layer to Spot Color Tweaks.

From here, we select each of the following adjustment layers and rename them. Each time, you see this dialog box open and it says “Select the layer 1 above current”. I haven’t had any problems with this so far and most others haven’t either.

Now going back, we select the Overall Color Shift layer we get the dialog box saying "Select layer named "Overall Color Shift"

Then a dialog box appears saying that there are six options all greyed out all saying cannot select layer for a number of options. (unnamed/not siblings, is not parent, is not child of current, etc). I wish I could include screengrabs here. But I can't proceed further from this point. I can select the cancel option but that is it. The Select button is also greyed out. 

And this is where I get stuck at. I cannot get the dialog box to open no matter what I do with the macro recording on.

If I turn off the macro recording, the dialog box opens fine. And again, the instructor is saying that he has used multiple versions of Affinity Photo including 1.7 and 1.8.5 and he is able to cancel out of this the macro box and the other boxes open up fine.

Just looking to see how I can resolve this and also share with the class. Thank you all for looking and please let me know if there is any more information I can give. 

2 hours ago, Bill Bourque said:

I wish we could make profiles for that.

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

In 1.9 you will be able to do that.

I can't help with your real questions; sorry.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Try this approach
Start macro recording
Add a Selective color adjustment layer
Rename it in the Layers panel
Add a Channel mixer adjustment layer - don't bother to “x” out of the dialog box
Rename it in the Layers panel
Repeat for the other two
--These are the actions, pun intended, above the red line in the image below, the following are below the red line
Select one of the adjustment layers
Make the adjustments
The error box MacroError.png.4414da4b11e9b23e2c36c76ec68eb64c.png will appear, click cancel, the adjustments will be remembered
Repeat for the other adjustment layers
Stop recording

I don't understand the process though, why create the adjustment layers, rename them then modify them? Why not make the adjustments as soon as the adjustment layers are created?

The attached macro may help

NewLayersRenamed2.png

NewLayersRenamed.afmacro

Microsoft Windows 11 Home, Intel i7-1360P 2.20 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Intel Iris Xe
Affinity Photo - 24/05/20, Affinity Publisher - 06/12/20, KTM Superduke - 27/09/10