You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I can't snap objects to a diagonal line in Affinity Designer

As a hobby, I make metro maps in Affinity Designer. I frequently work with 45 and 90 degree angles, and I rely heavily on the snapping feature.

I just started a new project, and for some reason objects aren't snapping to the center of a diagonal line. They snap to the center of a horizontal and vertical line, but when I move a circle over to a diagonal one, nothing. No lines, nothing happens. I've tested every single snapping setting and nothing has worked. I attached the grid settings, as I was told that was most likely the root of the problem. Is there anything I've done that's caused this and how do I get it to snap again?

Capture.PNG

You can use the distribute options to place a node at the mid point of a line/curve. If the line is diagonal use both the horizontal and vertical distribute options. From there a circle should snap to that node. You have to have the top node, bottom node, and the node you want centred to be able to use the distribute options.
image.png.47382c7934a215d24bfe9b1146c8e32e.png

image.png.0acb7fca516c0e651f8c66cebb553458.png

image.png.7f9a4b34227d4e116e9ab74a9242d53b.png

Thanks @Alfred 😉

If you want the node to be placed anywhere else on the line just use shift and drag the node to any point on that 45º line.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions