You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo Windows Customer Beta - 1.9.0.900 (RC1)

Click here to download the latest beta

Purpose: New features, performance, fixes
Requirements: A valid product key (for Affinity Store purchases), or an installation of the full retail version from the Microsoft Store

As this is a beta it is considered to be not suitable for production use. This means that you should not attempt to use it for commercial purposes or for any other activity that may be adversely affected by the application failing, including the total loss of any documents. We hope you enjoy the latest build, and as always, if you've got any problems, please don't hesitate to post a new thread in this forum and we'll get back to you as soon as we can. Thanks once again for your continued feedback. 

If you have a general question about the software, please head over to the Questions Forum, or if you have any suggestions, please head over to the Feature Requests forum.

Changes

• Added Linked Layers
  • Changed Adjustments to not automatically apply when expanding a category
  • Added Astrophotography Bad Pixel Map
  • Fixed Astrophotography workspace not saving/loading/refreshing customisations and shortcuts
  • Added Astrophotography Preferences Command Shortcut to Preferences
  • Fixed Astrophotography incorrect slider ranges on Remove Background panel
  • Improved Astrophotography preview of dark and bias frames 
  • Fixed crash using Astrophotography Remove Background with incompatible document formats
  • Added LUT import / export to Adjustments panel
  • Fixed crash loading Fujifilm GFX100 DNG
  • Fixed Inpainting Brush Width slider jumping between values when sliding
  • Fixed masked fill layer with FX leading to incorrect mask position after crop
  • Fixed Haze Removal Filter crash when applying to a pixel layer
  • Re-added Export Preview dialog (with improvements, see below)
  • Fixed nudging in the unit editor incrementing by the wrong amount for some controls
  • Added Canvas Rotation option to Preferences
  • Fixed some languages truncating text on the Preferences dialog
  • Fixed Nozzle and Base Textures failing to appear correctly in Brush Editor
  • Fixed failure to start applications on Windows N variant of operating systems (more information at https://affin.co/WindowsN )

1.9.0.891 release notes

• Staff

Please can users of this beta look at the My Account feature (top right of the main toolbar) even if you have already done so recently in another recent beta.

We have now added the ability to link your Affinity app to your Affinity account through a new app registration process. This will have the advantages of you being able to stream any content you have purchased (or received for free from the Affinity store) directly to all your apps without having to manually install them. This is of particular use to customers who have more than one of our apps, or run our apps on different devices and operating systems as all your content will automatically be available across all of them.

If you register the beta app you will receive a free brush kit (the luminance brush kit) for testing purposes to add to any of the store content you may already own that should also show up.

There have been lots of behind the scene improvements and most of the purchasable and (historical) free claimable content has being made streamable as the beta has progressed.

PLEASE report anything you find using "My Account" IN THAT THREAD

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

21 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:

Added Linked Layers

In the help it says...

1.Select the layer(s) to be linked.
2.On the Layer menu, select Duplicate Linked.

I don't appear to have that option

(I do have the Links studio panel)

links.png

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Not letting me download...just getting Failed...Download error... Ive tried closing the browser and reopening it but still get the same 

Designer downloaded ok

Update.....ignore me looks like the photo download tried to save to a locked off folder on the work server for some reason!!!

First of all: RC1 now starts on Windows 10 Enterprise N, and export menu item triggers a dialog with link to further information, good show.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

Next observation:

I don't see many improvements to the user interface in the export preview, some suggestions:

• The "generating preview" part that shows initially is missing when I alter the JPG quality settings - when exporting huge files there is a long delay with no feedback from the user interface and I am not sure what I am looking at... did it finish updating? So could you show that again with "Updating preview" in that scenario.
  • Some right click menu items (zoom in, out, 100%, to fit) would be appropriate. I could figure out how to use the usual keyboard shortcuts, but Joe/Joeline Average will probably not even know them. And it is not great usability with just a window.
  • When clicking 'Preview' the export dialog and preview window size and placement should be restored to what I used during the previous export - it is maddening to place and size them manually during each and every export. I will never need or be able to use the tiny window to the right. :)

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

4 minutes ago, Jowday said:

When clicking 'Preview' the export dialog and preview window size and placement should be restored to what I used during the previous export - it is maddening to place and size them manually during each and every export. I will never need or be able to use the tiny window to the right. :)

This has been fixed and will be available in the next build 🙂

Just now, Mark Ingram said:

This has been fixed and will be available in the next build 🙂

Excellent, thank you for that.

12 minutes ago, Jowday said:

when I alter the JPG quality settings - when exporting huge files there is a long delay with no feedback from the user interface and I am not sure what I am looking at... did it finish updating?

For now, check the "Estimated File Size:" value

If it still says "calculating" assume the preview has not updated

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• Staff
2 hours ago, Jowday said:

I don't see many improvements to the user interface in the export preview, some suggestions:

Hi Jowday, the Export Preview is just an added perk to the File > Export dialog which is essentially a 'quick export' feature. Its sole purpose is to give you a quick idea of what the export will be like without the complexity of entering the Export Persona to really fine-tune your export. Whilst I agree that a few contexual improvements would be beneficial, it is not meant to be comprehensive or feature-packed.

It's likely that this will receive some improvements in the future but we want to focus on the Export Persona which is essentially the equivelant of the export preview seen in sday, PS.

2 hours ago, Jowday said:

it is maddening to place and size them manually during each and every export. I will never need or be able to use the tiny window to the right. :)

Thanks. In the next build we should be fixing the size/position of the preview window :) It will also close when you select an unsupported file type!

AfPhoto .900 RC installed and working at 100%
Plugins and stuffs fully loaded
Ready to Stomp the Yard ...

Thank you @Mark Ingram and Team

Never be the Same Again !
---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF
Intel Core i5-10500T @2.30GHz with 12GiB 2666MHz DDR4
Intel UHD Graphics 630 for 10th Generation
M.2 2280, 512 GB, PCIe NVMe Gen3 x4, Class 40 SSD

Windows 11 Pro x64 22H2 + LibreOffice 7.5.3

I have again like 18kb/s download speeds with an just tested 100Mbit DSL Line. But at least it’s stable at 18kb/s so it won’t stall 🤣Might be ready when the final 1.9 releases to the public. ✌️😎

| https://www.instagram.com/lutz.heidbrink https://500px.com/lutzheidbrink | https://www.eyeem.com/u/pixelcoder | https://society6.com/pixelcoder 
iPad Pro 10.5 - iOS 11.4.1 - Affinity Photo 1.6.7 - Affinity Designer 1.6.0.35 :11_blush:

1 hour ago, Chris B said:

Hi Jowday, the Export Preview is just an added perk to the File > Export dialog which is essentially a 'quick export' feature. Its sole purpose is to give you a quick idea of what the export will be like without the complexity of entering the Export Persona to really fine-tune your export. Whilst I agree that a few contexual improvements would be beneficial, it is not meant to be comprehensive or feature-packed.

It's likely that this will receive some improvements in the future but we want to focus on the Export Persona which is essentially the equivelant of the export preview seen in sday, PS.

Thanks. In the next build we should be fixing the size/position of the preview window :) It will also close when you select an unsupported file type!

Not expecting feature packed. Just intuitive :)

Looking forward to the size-position change - sounds great, thanks!

Thanks for the update guys. Unfortunately, some of these downloads take ages depending on the daytime and region I guess. Looking forward to test the beta tomorrow as it currently lets me download at a rate of 20kbit/s. :)

I got to say, zooming feels super nice with these controls. Very smooth. Makes me wish I was able to zoom in and out like this without the regular zoom cap (i.e. getting stuck at 25%, 50%, 75%, and 100% zoom with the current Zoom button) by holding down just Mid click when doing regular editing. Maybe add these zoom controls as ctrl+Mid click (by holding down) as to not interfere with Mid click to pan the canvas? Would feel very nice especially with tablet pen.

Hm, it seems like this "feature" could be considered a bug? Apparently this only activates if you press Z, which allows you to zoom freely on the canvas by breaking the regular controls like ctrl+Scroll Wheel to zoom and R click to pan the view. Was able to replicate this every time by pressing Z and then reset the bug by closing the Preview window and opening it by clicking Preview... again.

Though, to be honest, I kind of like this kind of zoom feature with whole percentages for smooth transitions, and I would like to see it available by holding down ctrl+Mid click, which would allow you to zoom with tablet pens that have side buttons. Technically you can with Scrool Wheel type of settings, but it is nowhere as smooth as this. Hope it doesn't get fully removed and instead becomes just another option to zoom.

10 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:

@TheFlow / @pixelcoder - do you have the same ISP out of interest?

Mine is Vodafone Cable 100 in germany. Oddly enough, here at work I have like 10mb/s. I don't care, I'll put it in my dropbox and install it from there in the evening :)
---

@Mark Ingram

Update feels very nice, more snappy starting the program up.
Might I ask, do you guys still have this bug under your radar? The opacity (accumulation as you guys call it) behaves strange still. Thanks.

I will add some criticism and suggestions. The rotation tool is a tool. The tool must have a shortcut on the toolbar and have its own settings. Don't ignore the usability of users using the mouse instead of hotkeys. Novice users will thank you. PS. Perhaps the tool can be nested as a tool in another submenu.

1006337953_-0.jpg.bd44ed322ea757df5b8372e80a75e776.jpg

Windows 11 64-bit,

AMD Ryzen 9 3900 + Nvidia 1660 Super + Nvidia Studio driver + 32 Gb RAM.