Ash

We want to help (again)

This is not a promotion for Agenda, just a promotion of their pricing model.

I strongly encourage Affinity to consider adopting the Agenda pricing model:

Buying (Premium) includes:

• 12 months of all new features
  • Keep all of that “Forever"
  • Includes all basic upgrades forever (ie it also keeps working through OS changes)
  • After that year, pay again whenever Premium features are worth it to you. Or just stick with what you already have if you don't want new features.
  • No lock-in to use what you already paid for.
Thus, no subscription, but the incentives are perfect. Developers can just keep adding improvements and features without waiting for the next big version to ask again. They are incentivized to improve significantly continuously, or folks won't pay again. Modest pricing (like Affinity's) so low barrier to entry and same level to buy new updates. But you can wait 18 months, or two years (if you aren't enticed by new features) or never upgrade past where you bought in. 

More details here: A ‘Cash Cow’ is on the Agenda

Again, this is really just me promoting the pricing model. Like Affinity Designer, it is also an Apple Design winner, so they don't need promoting.

On 1/19/2021 at 2:16 PM, BobMoyer said:

Beeindruckend! Wer hätte gedacht, dass dieses großzügige Angebot negativ sein würde? Affinität setzt weiterhin Maßstäbe.

Hallo Zusammen.

Gibt es nichts besseres als negativ über E Mails zu schreiben, die ein super Angebot zur Verfügung stellen. Ist das die neue Kommunikation in GB nach dem Brexit?

On 2/26/2021 at 12:22 AM, Dan Brooks said:

• Includes all basic upgrades forever (ie it also keeps working through OS changes)
  • After that year, pay again whenever Premium features are worth it to you. Or just stick with what you already have if you don't want new features.
Thus, no subscription, but the incentives are perfect. Developers can just keep adding improvements and features without waiting for the next big version to ask again. They are incentivized to improve significantly continuously, or folks won't pay again. Modest pricing (like Affinity's) so low barrier to entry and same level to buy new updates. But you can wait 18 months, or two years (if you aren't enticed by new features) or never upgrade past where you bought in. 

Again, this is really just me promoting the pricing model. Like Affinity Designer, it is also an Apple Design winner, so they don't need promoting.

Why would you promote a policy that is far worse for the customer than what Affinity has already given us historically?

I realize you are a "noobie" but Affinity hasn't asked up to pay for new features in 4+ years.  

Yes they are likely on the verge of doing so, but for those of us that are not new, a yearly update price would effecitivly start to look like the standard yearly upgrade/update pricing model most consumers are not a fan of.  

Lots of software companies have gone the route you suggested Sonar when Gibson owned them for example - and they went belly up.  

Affinity is at the point where they can charge an upgrade again and not allienate the user base.  And if these sales are any indication, the upgrade price should be pretty reasonable.  

52 minutes ago, 78deluxe said:

Yes they are likely on the verge of doing so, but for those of us that are not new, a yearly update price would effecitivly start to look like the standard yearly upgrade/update pricing model most consumers are not a fan of.  

Personally, I'm not a fan of "you must pay us each year or the software will stop working and all your files will be useless". But I would not mind a new release each year that required a modest payment, if I wanted to get the new functions, as long as my old release would keep working indefinitely.

I'm doing that with several other products, and I generally only update every couple of years. And often only when I find a really good sale :)

The only real problem, for me, is the model that makes the software I've paid for already stop working if I don't choose to update.

(But I prefer Serif's current model, of course :) )

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 2004 (19041.388),
   Desktop: 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz, GeForce GTX 970
   Laptop:  8GB memory, Intel Core i7-3625QM @ 2.30GHz, Intel HD Graphics 4000 or NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M
Affinity Photo 1.9.1.979 and 1.9.1.979 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.9.1.979 and 1.9.1.971 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.9.1.979 and 1.9.1.967 Beta

On 2/25/2021 at 11:22 PM, Dan Brooks said:

I'd be out at the very first sign of software-as-a-service.