You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I have a great photo that is horizontal. I need it 5x7 vertical. I can crop it to fit 4x5 vertical. There is grounded below and tree branches above ... is there a feature I can use to stretch just the top and bottom to make it fit 5x7? It doesn’t have to be perfect, just “plausible.”

Thanks.

What's the original image size you're starting with, before you crop it.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

4 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

What's the original image size you're starting with, before you crop it.

You really want to know the percentage of the area below and above that needs to be stretched to get to 5x7 format from 4x5. The image itself is 46MP and I only need to crop the right and left sides to turn it vertical.

I need to add maybe 10% to the top and bottom.

10 hours ago, Lagarto said:

Typically you should be able to just create a marquee selection on a pixel layer and then use the Move tool and stretch it from the outer edge to the edge of the canvas, but most often this causes dramatic -- and unnatural -- changes (image by Maxx Gong | unsplash) :

stretch01.jpg.93a427d36754355086b906b4e23d4903.jpg:stretch02.jpg.19f1a9649acb107c821527a50e7ce737.jpg

stretch03.jpg.ad14cb0bade9662793f75c7edc09dc44.jpgstretch04.jpg.fbbcd5bf8a2774ccac5dff574432e97b.jpg

Therefore resizing just the whole image height (distorting the image evenly) might produce more natural results. With some images using inpainting fill (Edit > Fill > Inpainting) might work well.

This is promising. I will look into it this evening.

42 minutes ago, PLShutterbug said:

You really want to know the percentage of the area below and above that needs to be stretched to get to 5x7 format from 4x5. The image itself is 46MP

No, I don't. I want to know the image dimensions (could be width x height in pixels), not the total number of pixels.

Rather than simply cropping to vertical then stretching, I would recommend you start by resizing/enlarging the image sufficiently that you can crop it to the size you need, without needing to do any unrealistic stretching.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

5 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

No, I don't. I want to know the image dimensions (could be width x height in pixels), not the total number of pixels.

Rather than simply cropping to vertical then stretching, I would recommend you start by resizing/enlarging the image sufficiently that you can crop it to the size you need, without needing to do any unrealistic stretching.

I see I didn’t say that is not possible. It is a family portrait and if I crop like that I’ll chop off some ears. It’s my daughter’s family and the intended recipient isn’t picky so what I want to do is plausible for this image.

The 4x5 aspect is from bottom to top of the uncropped frame. It is not possible to crop further unless I crop into the subjects.

Closing the loop ...

I did try Lagarto's technique. Unfortunately there wasn't as much space as I hoped at the top of the image, and there was none available at the bottom. I only had a tiny area to select, and needed to stretch that selection about 3x to fill in to 5x7. 

The good thing is this is a portrait session of my family and it's convenient to reshoot. And it's a nice weekend.

Thanks for the suggestions.