You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Snapping handles to degrees using a key modifier

While working with vector nodes, have holding +control snap handles to major degrees, i.e. 0, 90, 45, etc. Currently, +shift just locks the angle (and making handles lock equal distances from the main node), but it’s harder to find exact alignments.

You could go as far as say +control to snap to major degrees document wide, and even adding +control +alt to adjust the degree snapping according to the angle of the node. But, I'd love at least document wide to quickly lay out points with a little more control.

+1 I found myself looking for this the other day... This is a great feature to implement as an app-wide preference, with multiple angles, perhaps related to the Grid angles as well...

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

• Staff

There will be more connection between the grid and future snapping improvements.  I'll test ways we can snap curve handles to grid axis and other angles.  It's all possible - just need to see how it works when we try it.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

Hi Ben, does that connection between grid and future snapping require the grid to be visible? (Please no) Also, it would be more efficient as a hotkey/modifier (versus a check mark within the Snapping dropdown) since always having handles snap to degrees would get frustrating, or constantly having to to turn it off and on within the top toolbar.

And thanks!

• Staff

The axis setup would not require the grid to be visible, but you would have to chose an axis setup that suited your purposes.

I have other ideas too that I will be trying out to augment this.

The handle snapping would probably follow our usual model - an option to turn it on/off, then use Alt to override snapping momentarily. It will be a property of the Pen/Node tool.

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

• 1 month later...

...our usual model - an option to turn it on/off, then use Alt to override snapping momentarily.

I'm just here to say that I personally LOVE the temp Alt override model.  It comes in handy so freaking often lol it just makes so much sense... Being able to set ridiculous parameters in the snapping menu knowing that I'm not committing to anything because I'll always be able to just Alt it all away whenever I want/need to is such an empowering thing.  It may not seem like a big deal to some - but to me, ANYTHING that removes the potential risk of "wasted time" associated with expressing creative freedom on the fly while working on a project is absolutely priceless.  This feature, along with so many others that you all have implemented has made an impeccable impact on my ability to safely and consistently push the boundaries in everything that I create.  Sure, I could create in AI.  But with AD, I can BE creative.  I'm able to create so much more efficiently and that extra time allows me to experiment within those creations.  AI is a means to an end, AD is a playground for creativity.

Seriously, thank you for pushing YOUR boundaries and enabling me to push mine.  I know I'm not the first to say so, but that doesn't make you any less deserving of my sincerest gratitude :)

• Staff

@kevn86

Thanks - at least someone else gets it.  ;)  We did come to this way of doing things as a result of using the app a lot ourselves.

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB