You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Alt + LClick + RClick doesn't change brush size anymore

I've been avoiding updating from 1.8.3 to 1.8.4 for some time due to this issue. Recently I went straight to 1.8.5 [latest version] to see if it would be fixed, but it wasn't.

It's probably not even considered a bug, but I'd like to understand if this was an intended change.

What's happening:

I've always been able to resize my brushes using Alt + LClick + RClick [and drag] until version 1.8.3.

From 1.8.4 on, this command only activates the Color Picker, which is also activated by Alt + LClick, so it's just redundant.

If I want to resize my brushes in 1.8.4+, the command is Ctrl + Alt + LClick + RClick, and the weirdest thing is that the brush/cursor simply disappears after releasing the drag in the desired size, which didn't happen before.

I don't know if this command change was intended, but I see no reason to have 4 buttons for such a shortcut. Also, considering the fact that it disappears after release, looks like something's wrong.

Any thoughts on this, please?

P.S: I know there are other ways to resize a brush like [ ], so save yourself some time before suggesting this. Thanks!

1 hour ago, Kheewz said:

If I want to resize my brushes in 1.8.4+, the command is Ctrl + Alt + LClick + RClick,

No, just Ctrl + Alt + Left-click.

1 hour ago, Kheewz said:

I don't know if this command change was intended,

Yes.

See, for example, this Help entry:https://affinity.help/designer/English.lproj/pages/Painting/painting.html
or

1.8.4 Photo Release Notes :

Changed brush parameter shortcut from Alt+RightMouseButton to Ctrl+Alt (same as macOS)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

14 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

No, just Ctrl + Alt + Left-click.

Okay, you're right. Ctrl + Alt + Left-click works. Is there any reason for the cursor disappearing if I'm resizing the vector brush in Designer?

14 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

This link takes me to the Designer 1.8.4 Release Notes, in which this change is not mentioned at all. But I checked the Photo Release Notes to read your quote.

Also, do you know what's the difference between the new options of low precision, high precision and windows ink for tablet input?

Thanks for your help, Walt.

41 minutes ago, Kheewz said:

Also, do you know what's the difference between the new options of low precision, high precision and windows ink for tablet input?

I don't understand all thos options well enough to explain the  differences; sorry. My suggestion would be to experiment with them.

46 minutes ago, Kheewz said:

Is there any reason for the cursor disappearing if I'm resizing the vector brush in Designer?

That seems like a bug to me. I'm not sure if it's been reported already.

As a workaround, release either the Ctrl or Alt keys before releasing the mouse button when you've finished resizing the brush.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

14 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

I don't understand all thos options well enough to explain the  differences; sorry. My suggestion would be to experiment with them.

Okay, thanks.

14 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

As a workaround, release either the Ctrl or Alt keys before releasing the mouse button when you've finished resizing the brush.

Nice workaround. I've also observed that once you press Ctrl + Alt and LClick you kinda enter in the "resizing mode". I mean, you can release the buttons as soon as you click and hold the Left button, so you can adjust using only the mouse dragging. This also works in this case.

You're welcome, and thanks for the additional info :)

-- Walt
PC: