You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Duplication (Command+J) opposite side of keyboard

Duplication is Command + J, Grouping is Command + G, which I find used a lot, yet they are “zoned” on opposite sides of the keyboard due to reach of each key with one hand (while the other is on the mouse or drawing tablet). Workflow commands like duplication, grouping, copy, paste would be much better UX wise to keep commands that are common to one side of the keyboard. (imo)

So, suggestion is to make Command + D the default duplication shortcut.

Fortunately with the latest betas you can change the default keyboard shortcuts in the preferences. I agree with you, and I changed my default to Cmd D for Duplicate, and Esc for Deselect....

Duplication is Command + J, Grouping is Command + G, which I find used a lot, yet they are “zoned” on opposite sides of the keyboard due to reach of each key with one hand (while the other is on the mouse or drawing tablet). Workflow commands like duplication, grouping, copy, paste would be much better UX wise to keep commands that are common to one side of the keyboard. (imo)

So, suggestion is to make Command + D the default duplication shortcut.

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4.1

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

Yeah, I saw that in the Designer roadmap, which does make me happy, but this would also be beneficial to new users to the app or getting used to it in the beginning. My thinking is getting UX right so modification (shortcut preferences) is only needed on fringe cases – that way we can move to device to device with less headaches.

Thing is Cmd+D is currently used for Deselect... it's just a matter of preferences... I had to change my deselect to Cmd + Esc, as sometimes Esc alone doesn't register with the app...

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4.1

When I use the mouse I like to click, although I instinctively distrust click on an "empty" region of the canvas unless I am 100% zoomed out, at least in AI it was a hit or miss technique...

I like the certainty of deselecting with a key press, I wish escape was enough, but I think the Layer panel intercepts the keypress first and deselects the Layer, not the object or marching ants :)

Hi laneallen,
What kind of keyboard are you referring to?
I have a wired keyboard with numeric keypad which has a Command key on both the right & left.
This means I use the right Command key + J.
Paul.

Hi Paul, I was referring more to not having to adjust to the other side of the keyboard. When working, I usually have my thumb on the left side command button since most of the shortcuts resides on that side of the keyboard: copy, paste, save, undo, redo, group (command + g), gradient (g), zoom (z), zoom selection (alt + z), move tool (v), node tool (a), text (t). I duplicate items a lot since I'm not sure if I'm going to commit to a change, or if something might be a base shape that I'll build other pieces off of. So, command + J forces a user to look down at the keyboard since the reach to J requires using the other command key.

It's the same principle of Z, X, C, V in that someone can work and focus on whatever they are doing while keeping their hand with a reference (like keeping their thumb on the left hand side command key). Duplicate as command + J is kind of like making Paste command + N, which would constantly require someone to look down to reference where the keys were for currently efficient command + C > command + V without losing any focus on what you're working on.

Ideally, it would even be better to put Pen (P), Pencil (N), and Vector Brush ( b ) as Q, W, E, then a user could work with never having to look at the keyboard.

• Staff

Hi laneallen,

The problem is to find a default config that pleases everyone. While some shortcuts may make sense for someone coming from Adobe, they may conflict with those from someone using just Apple products or even with Affinity specific features. We already changed them a couple times but it's difficult to find consensus here. Customisable shortcuts should help to address this.

Hi MEB. Yes, I was just giving my feedback, and I do realize that custom shortcuts will fix this whole issue. After working with Designer for over a year, I was writing down the things that were consistently coming up. As a long time user of Illustrator, then getting out of Adobe's stale development for Illustrator, I have nothing but praise for Designer – it's a wonderful product.

My only consideration for this suggestion was how to improve workflow for common tasks, and one less looked at concept is the idea of easy to reach shortcuts with one hand. I doubt there is a single person on the forums that can say they can do command + J without looking at the keyboard while all the other shortcuts are on the left side of the keyboard. This is because people usually have their left hand resting on the left portion of the keyboard since 90% of the shortcuts are on that side. If you brought Pen, Pencil and Vector Brush as Q, W, E as well as brought duplication as D or even F, a person working within Designer would rarely need to look at the keyboard, allowing focus on design, making the tools disappear.

It's the same concept as game design for desktop. If you were playing an action game that requires one hand use, the other being on another input device, mouse, or in my case a drawing tablet, having shortcuts within reach without having to look down becomes better design. If you created a game that used AWSD movement controls, then required a key like J as jump, it takes focus off the screen because J is hard to reach without reference, since a users hand is resting around AWSD. Sure, J as Jump makes sense reference wise due to the J in (J)ump, but usability wise, not so much.

Again, I know this is a moot point considering custom shortcuts, but just providing feedback.