You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

My Windows 10 computer reboots when using Affinity Publisher. Maybe 40-60 minutes into the session. It has never rebooted unexpectably before.

I am only working with master pages and pages having text only. Found one post a few days ago that suggested to set the display to the one we use instead of Windows default, that has been done. Still reboots. 

Also, the first time this happened there was a recovery file saved so I could restore unsaved changes. Since that first time no recovery file has shown up. Is this a setting somewhere?

Thank you.

Edited by Dan Stalker

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

The rebooting should be due to a Windows system problem, or a hardware error, or a device driver (such as a video display driver). The Affinity applications do not run with sufficient privileges to cause a complete system failure.

If you're getting a Blue Screen of Death, it would help to know what the error message on that screen is. Also, the Windows Event Viewer should have some information about the failure.

For the recovery file: There is a setting, which is enabled by default, and set to 300 seconds. So it's on unless you've changed it:

image.png.0575d3984ae3a8eca3ae12f973f35eb4.png

Note that if you're working on a file that has been previously saved (that is, a file with a name), then you'll only be prompted to recover when you Open that file again.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the help, Walt.

Never got the BSOD. Event Viewer just showed "Unexpected reboot." Installed the software to read the mini-dump files. Nothing was specific enough to show the exact cause (my ignorance perhaps).

Installing all the driver and hardware updates, including those in Windows Update, fixed the reboot problem.

Looked at preferences and set the ram limit to 8 GB, with 16 GB on board still have plenty of room for everything else.

Thanks again - Dan