You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Defaults for Publisher - bug needs reporting?

Defaults (Annonymous poll)  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Do you customise your app's defaults when first setting yourself up to use it?

• Never
    • Only sometimes
    • Always
  2. 2. What do you think of customising App Defaults?

• Don't know what defaults are
    • Saving defaults is broken/doesn't work as expected in Publisher, so don't use them
    • Just don't think I need to, or it's useful
    • I find it really useful and the customisation works

I've been trying to use Edit > Save > Defaults

Sometimes in combination with Edit > Save > Sync From Selection as advised on another thread I posted  (Text style workflow in Publisher  )

It seems to work randomly, if at all.

I thought I had saved the No Style to Helvetica and other settings. It appeared to have done so. Then it reverted and is back to the factory "No Style". All I did in between was save a document as a template.

I've not so far been able to save a default set of styles into the defauls at all though I've spent at least an hour on it.

Is anyone else trying to set up defaults, or do people just not bother?

Is anyone else having problems with it?

Does anyone have a workaround?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Words are crude implements, difficult to get perfect, easy to get tied in knots with, and often - usually - misunderstood, which is why 'tolarence' is the best word of all.

The word "professional" fits us all - amateur, semi-pro, beginner, advanced, middle, beyond it all, and on....., because professionals are tolerant.

Did you do Edit > Defaults > Synch from selection or Edit > Defaults > Save?

That sequence works just fine for me.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I tried both @walt.farrell... confident I've been really methodical about it.

I need to leave it alone tbh, and take a break from it, because it's wound me up a bit.

I will double-check because not being able to set defaults in the app is not good.

Might explore whether I can just boot with the same template straight away, bypassing the new dialogue box which also has an issue. A workaround to remove the headache altogether.

Edit: boot with a pre-prepped doc should be easy enough, I'll just stick a document created from the template in the (Mac) dock - remove the app icon, job done.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Words are crude implements, difficult to get perfect, easy to get tied in knots with, and often - usually - misunderstood, which is why 'tolarence' is the best word of all.

The word "professional" fits us all - amateur, semi-pro, beginner, advanced, middle, beyond it all, and on....., because professionals are tolerant.