You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher Cannot Place a Microsoft Word Document

On 1/16/2021 at 9:38 PM, DWright said:

To import a Word .docx file into Affinity Publisher you will first need to add a empty text frame on your document before using the Place command

Thanks for your reply, yes I have add the empty text frame as per shown in clip, however the Word document seems broken, for the clear information I attach the new clip.

Awaiting the advise.

Are you expecting the Word file to open exactly the same as it does in Word? This would not happen in Indesign, there would be formatting issues. Not sure if this is something Publisher should be able to do. I could be wrong.

A work around and something that seems like it would be simpler would be saving the Word file as a PDF and then placing the PDF in Publisher. This should keep all formatting and Publisher makes PDF's editable and probably a simpler solution in this regard. 

51 minutes ago, wonderings said:

Are you expecting the Word file to open exactly the same as it does in Word? This would not happen in Indesign, there would be formatting issues. Not sure if this is something Publisher should be able to do. I could be wrong.

It's worked quite well with Publisher for the simple documents I've tried.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

25 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

It's worked quite well with Publisher for the simple documents I've tried.

I have had reasonable results with standard letters but nothing like what the OP is trying to import into Publisher.

I did a test with a template Word resume. Formatting looks similar to the OP's file. Publisher could not make heads or tales of this. I could be doing something wrong as my hands on experience is limited, generally just testing things that I see here. I have attached the word file to see if you or anyone else would have better luck. 

Word test file.docx

36 minutes ago, HANDJOJO said:

Dear All,

Thank you for your explanation, I will comeback after try it wit simple document.

I would recommend saving as a PDF and placing that PDF in Publisher. The test file I had in my last post I converted to PDF and then placed the PDF in Publisher made it editable without losing the formatting. 

• 1 month later...