You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Either I've found some weird bug, or I'm doing something wrong.

My Preflight says that "The document index needs updating." and provides a "Fix" button. However, every time I mash the button, nothing happens other than additional entries showing up in the Index Panel (but not on the page). The error remains, and the Index Panel resets itself back to one entry per after a few moments. (see screenshots attached)

If I delete the frame with the entry, the error still remains.

I have only 1 index and 1 table of contents inserted in the entire document.

Am I missing something here?

Screen Shot 2021-01-15 at 11.55.00.png

Screen Shot 2021-01-15 at 11.55.24.png

• Staff

Hi @Loquos,

Sorry to see you're having trouble!

This certainly isn't something I've seen before, so I'd like to request a copy of your file so that I can investigate this further here.

Can you please upload a copy of your .afpub file to the below link for me, then reply here once this has been completed?

https://www.dropbox.com/request/fn4Sd7IpFFbalyh6ficA

Many thanks in advance :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/18/2021 at 7:12 AM, Dan C said:

Hi @Loquos,

Sorry to see you're having trouble!

This certainly isn't something I've seen before, so I'd like to request a copy of your file so that I can investigate this further here.

Can you please upload a copy of your .afpub file to the below link for me, then reply here once this has been completed?

Many thanks in advance :)

Sorry! got busy with work and forgot to come back to this in time. The DropBox link seems to be dead now. Do you mind posting again? The issue still persists.

In fact, it does 3 separate alerts. Two include page numbers where these items are located. The 3rd does not include a page number, and seems to be the one that does go away.

Are you actually clicking the Update Index button in the Index panel?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff
15 hours ago, Loquos said:

Sorry! got busy with work and forgot to come back to this in time. The DropBox link seems to be dead now. Do you mind posting again? The issue still persists.

No problem at all, I certainly understand!

I've re-opened the previously provided link, which I shall also copy below -

Many thanks :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

23 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Are you actually clicking the Update Index button in the Index panel?

Yes. I've tried all the buttons and ways to update. It still gives an error, but as far as I can tell there is nothing out of date.

• Staff

Thanks for your document and my apologies for the delayed response!

I have looked over this file and I cannot see any reason for this with your Index, it seems to be setup correctly and updates when using the Update Now option in the Index Studio, so why the preflight is still showing this needs updating is a mystery.

I will log this file with our developers now so that they can look into this further and hopefully be able to identify and repair this issue :)

Do you recall any 'unusual' steps you may have taken with this document or it's index, so that I can pass this info through to our devs?

Please note -

Many thanks!

On 1/29/2021 at 1:45 PM, Dan C said:

Thanks for your document and my apologies for the delayed response!

I have looked over this file and I cannot see any reason for this with your Index, it seems to be setup correctly and updates when using the Update Now option in the Index Studio, so why the preflight is still showing this needs updating is a mystery.

I will log this file with our developers now so that they can look into this further and hopefully be able to identify and repair this issue :)

Do you recall any 'unusual' steps you may have taken with this document or it's index, so that I can pass this info through to our devs?

As this was the first time I'd messed with either Index or Table of Contents, I don't know if anything I did was unusual or not.

This is a file that was originally built out a few years ago. I simply 'save as' and create the next year's file from the previous. Not sure if that could cause anything odd?

I did the Table of Contents first. In fact, I deleted the old frame that was there and completely redid it - styling and everything.

Another day, I created the Index. This is a new element for this file. Previous versions did not have an Index. It took me a few tries to understand how to build it out. In fact, I'm sure I deleted the entire original frame and started over at one point.

Everything has always been in the same file, and I didn't copy any of the textual elements from any other file.

If I recall anything else, I'll come back and make an update.

2 hours ago, Loquos said:

This is a file that was originally built out a few years ago. I simply 'save as' and create the next year's file from the previous. Not sure if that could cause anything odd?

Given that Publisher has not existed for "a few years" yet, we might guess that you did the original version in some other program, and imported it somehow into Publisher. Would that be correct, and if so can you provide more details of the workflow?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1