Windows N - Export As Timelapse

• Moderators

Note: This is a temporary page, and will be replaced with something more "official" soon.

There are some versions of Microsoft Windows that are distributed as 'N' or 'KN' versions. Due to local law these are missing certain components that Export as Timelapse require. If you are running one of these versions of Windows then you will not be able to access Export as Timelapse.

However should you want to use this functionality you can still do so by installing the Microsoft's Media Feature Pack for Windows N or KN editions. To do so follow the instructions below

To do this on Windows 8.1:

1. Go to https://www.microsoft.com/download/details.aspx?id=40744
  2. Download the x64 release - it should be titled: Windows6.3-KB2835517-x64.msu
    • Note the x86 version is for computers running 32-bit versions of Windows. If you're running Affinity you will be running 64-bit Windows.
  3. Once the download has completed double click to run it and follow on screen instructions
  4. Once the install has finished reboot your machine
  5. You're now ready to use Export as Timelapse

To do this on Windows 10:

1. Go to Start > Settings > Apps and Feature > Optional Features > Add a Feature
  2. Search for 'Media Feature Pack'
  3. Tick the box for 'Media Feature Pack' and click Install
  4. Once installed reboot your machine
  5. You're now ready to use Export as Timelapse

See video below (created using Windows 10 20H2)

For further information on other versions of Windows 8/10 please see this article: https://support.microsoft.com/help/3145500/media-feature-pack-list-for-windows-n-editions

@Mark Ingram I tried doing this since HEVC keeps creating corrupt video files when rendering, but apparently this Media Feature Pack option is not available on regular Windows 10 that I am running (it has no "N" in the name). I do have Windows Media Player installed on that list, which I guess contains these features? Or should I manually download the Media Feature Pack online to make HEVC work? Because right now it is not even available when I search stuff on the list at all.

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Frozen Death Knight said:

@Mark Ingram I tried doing this since HEVC keeps creating corrupt video files when rendering, but apparently this Media Feature Pack option is not available on regular Windows 10 that I am running (it has no "N" in the name). I do have Windows Media Player installed on that list, which I guess contains these features? Or should I manually download the Media Feature Pack online to make HEVC work? Because right now it is not even available when I search stuff on the list at all.

In all honesty, I'm not sure of the answer to that. I can use HEVC fine here (Windows 10). However, I do notice there is a "HEVC Video Extensions" store item from Microsoft (£0.79) that allows HEVC decode and encode for machines that don't have hardware decoders / encoders. I wonder whether I have a hardware encoder available, and you don't? For reference, I don't have those "HEVC Video Extensions" installed.

image.png

@Mark Ingram Apparently I have something like that already installed when I tried to check other versions of that online. However, I only end up with files like these. The format should be supported by my VLC player, but I only get errors when opening the file. This video is broken also when I upload it to this website.

I just get a 0-byte file when I select HEVC.

Do you get an actual file, @Frozen Death Knight ?

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.
27 minutes ago, Frozen Death Knight said:

Nope, I get the same results as you man. 0-byte files all over the place. The strange part is that rendering takes about the same time as using H.256, so something must be happening. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I purchased the 1$ HEVC codec from the Microsoft Store. Then encoding and playing started working.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.
18 minutes ago, Jowday said:

I purchased the 1$ HEVC codec from the Microsoft Store. Then encoding and playing started working.

The HEVC quality is not impressive though. Over-compressed. Even in 4K. Solid surfaces look awful.

9 minutes ago, Jowday said:

The HEVC quality is not impressive though. Over-compressed. Even in 4K. Solid surfaces look awful.

Just purchased the same codec and I am still getting 0-byte files. Something seems very off here. The problem was likely solved on your end since I recall you saying you had the "N" version of Windows in some other thread, so this HEVC codec solved your issue but not mine.

Also, I was afraid of that. Video quality from the rendering has a very low bit rate which creates really ugly artefacts. Until more settings are allowed to be changed that improve bit rate in particular it will be hard to find practical use of this new feature.

2 minutes ago, Frozen Death Knight said:

Just purchased the same codec and I am still getting 0-byte files. Something seems very off here. The problem was likely solved on your end since I recall you saying you had the "N" version of Windows in some other thread, so this HEVC codec solved your issue but not mine.

Did you reboot?

9 hours ago, Frozen Death Knight said:

Just did. Didn't work. Have to wait till the devs figure out what's wrong on my end. ^^

Alright but I agree - some quality adjustment settings are needed as well.

6 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:

That's the file, but it's incomplete. Did you close the app down before uploading it?

Pretty sure the program was still on when I copied it. Can try again.

Log.txt

Don't know if it makes any difference, but I tried rendering out a new HEVC video before I copied the log again. Weirdly enough the Date Modified clock didn't seem to update for Log.txt after I did multiple things afterwards.

Edit: The log seems to have updated after I closed the program, so here's the latest version below.

Log.txt

• Moderators
29 minutes ago, Frozen Death Knight said:

Pretty sure the program was still on when I copied it. Can try again.

Log.txt 9.91 kB · 0 downloads

Don't know if it makes any difference, but I tried rendering out a new HEVC video before I copied the log again. Weirdly enough the Date Modified clock didn't seem to update for Log.txt after I did multiple things afterwards.

Edit: The log seemed to have updated after I closed the program, so here's the latest version below.

Log.txt 9.91 kB · 1 download

Cool, OK, that does show an error writing the videos:

error 0xC00D36B4 (The data specified for the media type is invalid, inconsistent, or not supported by this object.)