You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity takes ages to launch

benwiggy

When I launch any of the Affinity apps, they bounce in the Dock about 30 times -- about 20 seconds or so --  before I get the splashscreen. The app launches quickly after this point. 

Subsequent launches are faster. I'm not sure whether it's just the first time after every boot or after ... some time has passed.

Anyone else had this?

I'm on Big Sur, if that's a factor. I'm on a 2018 Mac Mini, so it's not a slow hard drive ....!

8 minutes ago, benwiggy said:

When I launch any of the Affinity apps, they bounce in the Dock about 30 times -- about 20 seconds or so --  before I get the splashscreen. The app launches quickly after this point. 

Subsequent launches are faster. I'm not sure whether it's just the first time after every boot or after ... some time has passed.

Anyone else had this?

I'm on Big Sur, if that's a factor. I'm on a 2018 Mac Mini, so it's not a slow hard drive ....!

I have a new 27 inch Intel iMac running Big Sur and I noticed that Affinity Apps were opening much faster that was until the Apps were updated for the new Apple M1 chip, they seem to be slow again in opening but work fine once up and running

• Staff

Hi benwiggy,
Thanks for your feedback. We are already aware of these issues. They seem to have started after Big Sur update. As you noticed if only happens after a cold boot. Subsequent launches are quick. We are still investigating what's going on. Are you using the Mac App Store or Affinity Store version?

I have a more severe case of this - but not limited to Affinity apps.  All my Affinity apps worked just fine in Mojave. I did a clean install of Big Sur and now, more often than not, when I launch an app, it does not 'bounce' at all and 30 seconds later, an Apple error message appears with some mumbo-jumbo on insufficient permissions and codesigning.  If I close this and click on the app again, it runs perfectly within a few seconds. Once it starts working, it seems to be ok.

This is not just with Affinity apps though, I have had the same issue with MS Excel,  but not so frequently.

This is on a 6-core Intel I7 Mac Mini, not the M1 - directly connected to modem with cable.

It may be hardware specific; I also have a quad core i7 Macbook pro - which I similarly did a fresh load of Big Sur and all my apps. That seems to work just fine (wifi connection to modem).

1 minute ago, CJW said:

an Apple error message appears with some mumbo-jumbo on insufficient permissions and codesigning.

I suspect the exact details of the mumbo-jumbo may shed some light on the issue. ;-)  I don't seem to have it with other apps - at least not to the same degree. I also tested launching with WiFi off, in case it was the OSCP server issue again, but no change.

Most AV software causes more problems than it fixes. While macOS is not immune from vulnerabilities, it does have very good built-in security, and newly discovered threats are identified and locked out with security updates just as quickly as any third-party software might manage. (The same is true for Windows Defender.)

My understanding is that increased security added to Big Sur (and perhaps Catalina) mean that launching an app will check against an Apple database to see if the app is "whitelisted" (well, that is not the technical term) and not some sort of "rogue" app. Checking a database at launch obviously adds time to the launch.

You can, I believe, get around the delay by turning off WiFi when you launch an app since the OS defaults to allowing the app to run if the OS is unable to check against a certificate on the network.

Turning off/on WiFi is of course a pain, but it would be interesting to see if that was a the issue. Hopefully Apple gives us a way to turn that feature off or can post-evaluate an app before you even go to launch it.

1 hour ago, benwiggy said:

See my comment above: I've already tested with Wifi off, and it's no different. 

Apple has promised to include an opt-out of the OCSP server in the future. 

I can confirm that turning off WiFi makes no difference also one app was purchased through the Apple App Store and the other two Apps were purchased direct from Affinity. All three take some time to initially load. Running Big sur 11.1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/15/2021 at 2:04 PM, MEB said:

Hi benwiggy,
Thanks for your feedback. We are already aware of these issues. They seem to have started after Big Sur update. As you noticed if only happens after a cold boot. Subsequent launches are quick. We are still investigating what's going on. Are you using the Mac App Store or Affinity Store version?

So I have updated to AF 1.9 and updated to Big Sur 11.2 and the AF apps bounce about 30 times before opening, although once open if they are closed and then reopened 3 bounces and they are up and running. Just for info.

• Staff

Hi @ianhg,
Thanks for your feedback. We know this is still an issue. We are trying our best to fix this as soon as possible. Try to copy (duplicate) the app file, rename the old one to something else and use the duplicate to launch the app (you may also have to remove copy from its name). It's possible it launches quickly for you (you can then delete the old/original app file).

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/4/2021 at 3:38 PM, MEB said:

Hi @ianhg,
Thanks for your feedback. We know this is still an issue. We are trying our best to fix this as soon as possible. Try to copy (duplicate) the app file, rename the old one to something else and use the duplicate to launch the app (you may also have to remove copy from its name). It's possible it launches quickly for you (you can then delete the old/original app file).

@MEBThis worked great 5-6 bounces and it opens the Photo App, Designer and Publisher are open 3-4 bounces thanks. Sorry for the delay in getting back.

10 hours ago, benwiggy said:

After updating the OS, the problem has returned to the duplicated apps. 

@MEB I too have updated all apps to 1.9.1 .Well this is strange I purchased Affinity Publisher direct from Affinity and it opens very quickly 3-4 bounces. My AP and AD was purchased via the App store these take 25-30 bounces before they initial start up. If you close the Apps and start them again they will open quickly. 
Running Big Sur 11.2.1 on iMac  (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020), AMD Radeon Pro 5500 XT 8 GB, memory 40 GB 2133 MHz DDR4, processor 3.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i7

I find publisher takes ages to cold boot ever since the 1.9 update

My purchase route was direct from affinity and not the MAS

Big Sur 11.2.1

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)

3.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5

32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3

AMD Radeon R9 M380 2 GB

• 1 month later...

Same here. I'm using the App Store versions of Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher. And launching takes forever (on a cold boot).

Big Sur 11.2.3

MacBook Pro 16" (2019) 64GB RAM, Razer Core X eGPU with Radeon RX Vega 64 8GB GPU (but same without the eGPU and the internal AMD Radeon Pro 5500M/8GB)

same here -  ive had the slow startup issue across all Affinity Apps for a while including this week's 1.9.2 update

@MEB could you tell us what the cause is? some openness and transparency would be helpful in building trust. smiley saying "we've identified the issue but we're not going to tell you about it" is a little old school software dev.