You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

White line at edges

norbinw

Why in the F-ig F-s is there a white line on the edges of a design???? Just make a new document at 300dpi with artboard of 50x50mm, and draw a black sqare in it. Working in mm with pixel alignment ON or off gives same results.. switching to pixel dimensions, the artboards always have .5 or .6 pixels extra. IF PIXEL ALIGMENT IS ON, why the F does it ignore it?? Switching off, gives the same result. This app is the ONLY app that gives this problem. I already regret spending money and time to learn to use this app.. Updates and fixes come 1/year.. The text preview isn't fixed since Big Sur update, and that was quite a long time ago..

Screen Shot 2021-01-15 at 15.04.00.png

squares.afdesign

4 hours ago, norbinw said:

Working in mm with pixel alignment ON or off gives same results.. switching to pixel dimensions, the artboards always have .5 or .6 pixels extra.

Pixel alignment only affects alignment of the origin to the pixel grid. It doesn’t prevent you choosing to make the width and height a non-integer number of pixels (590.6 in this case).

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I know that if you don't have a full number, a white line will (or may) appear, but what I don't understand is WHY DID THE APP CREATE THE FIRST artboard misaligned?... the hell did it move it to Y: 0.1mm? ... I didn't notice, because I selected the rectangle which I had created instead of the artboard.

Like I said, I just punched in 50mm new document w artboard. Didn't move anything. 1st was created (badly as it seems!) and the rest i just duplicated and moved by myself.

Just create a Press ready document, 50mm W and H, no bleed, then draw a square in it, edge to edge. I always lose a little when I turn on pixel preview.. and when saved to PDF and imported back it's visible.

And this time I get 0,0mm coordinates, no decimals. Still I get the white line.

And why isn't this happening in PS? it gives me 591 px document. I understand that 50mm +3mm bleed gives that dimension in pixels, but WTF is the point to give .6 pixels, if it will be white and not the color of the object that fills it (or goes over it, as all my designs go beyond the edge line).. 

I'm just looking for solutions... Because creating a mm document, then switching to pixel units to check if the app created half a pixel, for absolutely no use, is quite long process.. every time... and how come other apps can round that pixel up or down? I prefer to have it larger by half a pixel than to have a white line on the edge. like I said, half a pixel is useless and turns white at export!

On 1/15/2021 at 8:10 AM, norbinw said:

Just make a new document at 300dpi with artboard of 50x50mm, and draw a black sqare in it.

I still can't get a white line to appear in Designer pixel persona or in PDF export, but it does show up when on File > Open in Photo. And rightly so, as others have said, 50mm at 300dpi does not convert to even pixels.

On 1/16/2021 at 5:29 PM, norbinw said:

And why isn't this happening in PS? it gives me 591 px document.

If I File > Save As… > JPG from Designer, I do get a 591px square.

But it's there.. Because others have it too. And again, what's the use of a fraction of a pixel? It's just plain retarded to have 0.6 pixel, so at export to turn white...

Sometimes when I exported from export persona to PDF it went away, other times when used save as, it was there.. Same file. The problem is inconsistency and the addition of the useless fraction of a pixel instead of rounding up or down.

I work in mm.. so am I doomed forever to switch to pixel units just to check after every new document and artboard? Would be nice to have at least an option to turn on/off the "rounding".

I have to ask this, why are you drawing a rectangle to cover the artboard when you can colour the artboard?

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• Staff

Hi @norbinw,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
The issue is caused by the units (mm) which can't be translated directly into integer pixel values. Make sure you remove the decimal parts after changing the units temporarily to pixels (to ensure all off them are integer values) then switch back to mm. If you then duplicate the artboard with Force Pixel Alignment enabled (and Move By Whole Pixels disabled) you shouldn't have issues with the rest of the artboards.

• Staff

No. Move By Whole Pixels does what it says on the tin - if enabled when you move an object that's already on integer values to another position it will end up keeping the integer values since it is only allowed to move whole pixels. If the object isn't on integer values, it will keep the fractional values in the end of the movement since - again - it is only allowed to be moved whole pixels. This is useful for certain tasks, mainly when working at pixel level (on a small icon set for example) where you may have adjusted/moved some vector paths/nodes off the pixel grid to better control the antialiasing on certain areas. When moving these paths you most likely want to keep the fractional values intact, otherwise the pixel alignment would screw up the carefully adjusted antialiasing.

2 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

I have to ask this, why are you drawing a rectangle to cover the artboard when you can colour the artboard?

Because the same happens when I have other elements in the artboard.. But I didn't want to add a raster image (same thing happens) or share a full design.. That rectangle was just an example of how the content doesn't cover the whole AB.

At least i understand why the fractions of pixels... Still, could have an option to have full pixel values, at whatever unit used or resolution.

10 minutes ago, norbinw said:

Still, could have an option to have full pixel values, at whatever unit used or resolution.

But not all dimensions will result in an integer number of pixels. At 96 dpi/ppi a tenth of an inch is 9.6 pixels.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

We are beyond this, I understand that. But I didn't get why the fractions, who would use them.. I work in mm units and have 10-20 different dimension projects/day. Mostly @300 dpi for print. At least for raster banners I don't have to do the switch-a-roo to see the values..

Be that mm or inch, I doubt I am the only one getting white lines.. And most of you correct the AB after creation, if you have decimal units.. ? I get it that some "formulas" you use give you exact numbers, but other times? It's a little inconvenient...