You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Dragging object to a viewport border doesn't scroll the viewport [Solved]

Hello,

In Affinity Designer 1.8.6 (Mac version) when I drag an object and the mouse pointer reaches a viewport border it should scroll viewport in that direction, but nothing happens. Not sure if this feature is implemented, but It seems obvious scenario for me since it works this way in other apps. I work with mouse and keyboard.  I just want to know whether this feature is implemented and I should turn it of somehow in settings?

Thanks

This works for me with Designer 1.8.5 on Windows 10 but I don’t have a Mac to check it.
As far as I know there is no setting to switch it on/off so it should just work.
If you can explain which tool you are using to drag the layer and how you are dragging it there may be a reason for this behaviour.

You’re welcome.
I’m curious as to how long you have to wait before it starts to scroll and where the pointer needs to be before it starts to scroll.
On my machine it happens almost instantly as the pointer nears the edge of the viewport, and then the scroll rate increases the longer I leave the pointer there.
Would you be able to share a video of what you see happening?

2 hours ago, GarryP said:

You’re welcome.
I’m curious as to how long you have to wait before it starts to scroll and where the pointer needs to be before it starts to scroll.
On my machine it happens almost instantly as the pointer nears the edge of the viewport, and then the scroll rate increases the longer I leave the pointer there.
Would you be able to share a video of what you see happening?

Yes, sure

Oh, that’s quite a distance you have to drag, probably too far I would say.
I’ve attached a video showing how it is on my machine (same thing when the window is not maximised).
Maybe someone else with a Mac can say whether they get the same behaviour as either you or me.
It would be interesting to see if was just your machine (or just some machines).

6 hours ago, GarryP said:

Oh, that’s quite a distance you have to drag, probably too far I would say.
I’ve attached a video showing how it is on my machine (same thing when the window is not maximised).
Maybe someone else with a Mac can say whether they get the same behaviour as either you or me.
It would be interesting to see if was just your machine (or just some machines

Hey @GarryP could you please check on Win whether it is possible to scroll viewport while selecting objects with move tool? Seems not to be working on Mac at all

I get the same thing on Windows – no viewport scrolling when marquee selecting with the Move Tool, either when the window is maximised or not.
I seem to remember seeing this reported before but I don’t remember what the response was from the team.
I did find this post https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/128606-discusssion-of-challenges-moving-from-photoshop-to-affinity-photo/&tab=comments#comment-706733 which, to me, seems to say that they want it to work the way it works now but I might be misinterpreting it.