You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Having problem about exporting EPS format

• Staff

Hi Sketches_Maniac,

Welcome to the Forum :)

Some layers of the EPS may be rasterised depending on there contents could you please attach the file in question so that I can take a look at it? Once I have looked at the file it will be deleted :)

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

Hello,

reading your talk, it seems that AD is mainly design for digital uses. What about the print?

Eps is still very important format in print because it's the main format to import vector files in Indesign or Quark Xpress.

It's also a main way to exchange with people working with Illustrator. Our illustrations created with AD must be usable by others graphic designer.

SVG is not a solution because it convert colors in RVB. PSD is not a vector app. Even PDF make changes in illustrations (cmyk colors are modified, transparencies are transformed...)

See the file attached: a very simple illustration. I'm unable to export it correctly as an eps file. The transparencies disappear or the shapes become bitmap. The texts become courbs and are not editable anymore.

Is there a good method to export in eps and keep the illustration safe?

post-10751-0-79805700-1442496155_thumb.png

Hi Sketches_Maniac,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

EPS is an old format that does not support layers. Illustrator is only able to keep them after exporting because it embeds a copy of the illustrator file inside the EPS.

I advise you to export as PDF PSD or SVG if possible.

Is there a way to save in AD in EPS format that let's say we create vector masks using shapes, but when you export as EPS and open in AI it retains the mask? If this could happen it would make AD a true AI killer for me.

Hey Meb!

Thanks for the answer. I look at the roadmap and it seems printing is important for you :-)

But what is the calendar for it?

I know it's a lot of work ( and Bravo for all you've already done!) but to be a really operational, AD has to be full compatible with all professionals who don't have it yet.

Eps is really the generic exchange format for all vector illustration. So it has to be a priority.

We're moving towards improved printing now, and expect it to be in the next Mac App Store update in a matter of months.

EPS is a terrible exchange format, because it does not support transparency at all. It does support vector clipping, which we already use where possible. You really have to design carefully to avoid rasterising if you intend to use it. The best vector format for vector art is PDF, especially if you use other than sRGB. Improvements in our PDF export will also be coming over the next months (and PDF/X is already in the current beta).

Hello,

reading your talk, it seems that AD is mainly design for digital uses. What about the print?

Eps is still very important format in print because it's the main format to import vector files in Indesign or Quark Xpress.

It's also a main way to exchange with people working with Illustrator. Our illustrations created with AD must be usable by others graphic designer.

SVG is not a solution because it convert colors in RVB. PSD is not a vector app. Even PDF make changes in illustrations (cmyk colors are modified, transparencies are transformed...)

See the file attached: a very simple illustration. I'm unable to export it correctly as an eps file. The transparencies disappear or the shapes become bitmap. The texts become courbs and are not editable anymore.

Is there a good method to export in eps and keep the illustration safe?

Hi caum, 

I am from a Pre-Press/Graphic design background for print & packaging. 

At work, I use InDesign for page layout, Illustrator for vector drawing & Photoshop for image editing. 

It's been a very long time since I placed EPS files into a working document, my favoured workflow includes links that are a mix of any or all .ai, .pdf & .psd format — InDesign supports the transparency that is used in those file formats & allows for making some of the files' layers invisible or visible when placed, regardless of the linked files' own layers visibility settings. 

As a result, I have not had the need for EPS files, either vector or raster, in a very long time. 

On the occasion that I have to download a stock vector EPS, I usually find that it has a white background that needs to be deleted & is RGB, so I end up correcting the file & saving it as a .ai or .pdf file to be used as my linked file in InDesign. 

Paul.  ;)

Hi Paul,

I agree with you and I do the same most of the time. Because I have the Adobe suite.

But Eps is still very widespread for those who don't have it (the client who want a source file of your job for example). More other, I have many common works with a graphic who doesn't AD and is attached to the Adobe Suite. We need a good and simple way to exchange.

Ok, pdf could be the solution. But with the AD export tests I did, the colors where modified (you know when a value is transformed from 45% to 44.89%...) and texts became cut by letters and not by words (depending on kerning, line return, etc).

That's why the PDF/X export is so important.

But AD is a very promising soft and I will continue to learn to work with it.

Hi!

I also have a problem with exporting to eps. I made a illustration in AD and i cannot export it. Affinity designer just refuses and quits. If i rasterize the document it wil work but the image looks really bad. I need the export to eps in order to get my illustration printed. Is there any other way?

• 5 years later...

Hi, guys...
My name is Alvin. now is 2021, and I jus found this forum. Iam a designer/illustrator who had worked with Afinity Designer in last 2 months. in the past I used Ai for a long time.
now I have issue in exporting to EPS format, to be opened in illustrator (by my clients). The image is broken in some part. the transparancy looking blur in pixer bitmap. I thought it was rastering.
how to fix it?

Much people want the illustrator format. but I want to continue wit Ad. thanks in advance.

• 9 months later...
On 1/28/2021 at 9:59 AM, alvin fadli said:

Hi, guys...
My name is Alvin. now is 2021, and I jus found this forum. Iam a designer/illustrator who had worked with Afinity Designer in last 2 months. in the past I used Ai for a long time.
now I have issue in exporting to EPS format, to be opened in illustrator (by my clients). The image is broken in some part. the transparancy looking blur in pixer bitmap. I thought it was rastering.
how to fix it?

Much people want the illustrator format. but I want to continue wit Ad. thanks in advance.

Hey, I've been trying to export my work as EPS for two days in order to sell it on Shutterstock that keeps refusing it. I am frustrated... There have to be some issues in the export process. I've tried everything.