You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I used a Target sampler from the Info panel then a Levels adjustment layer to adjust each colour so the sample/orange border reached #ffffff
The attached file contains this plus an alternative to an invert layer which was an attempt to reduce the yellow at the top, it doesn't really work
Left image is Photo, right image is that well known competitor using a curves layer and the white picker on the orange border

Boats.jpg

BoatAdjustments.afphoto

Microsoft Windows 11 Home, Intel i7-1360P 2.20 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Intel Iris Xe
Affinity Photo - 24/05/20, Affinity Publisher - 06/12/20, KTM Superduke - 27/09/10

9 minutes ago, firstdefence said:
  1. Has this image ever been printed correctly?
  2. Do you think there is an inherent fault in the negative, for whatever reason?
  3. Do you think there is a fault in your scanning procedure?

Hi Firstdefence, answers to your questions...

1. Never seen a positive print from this neg.

2. Yes, lots on this roll of negs had a light leak problem. (It was taken with my Fathers very old Balda folding 6x6 camera Circa 1950

3. Nope scanning procedure is perfect and repeatable. works very well on E6 and B&W negs.

(Post comment) I have now found a way to do this very easily and posted it. Thanks for your help.

4 minutes ago, Graham L Furlonger said:

I converted from PS and vowed never to return! Found a really quick way of doing it in Affinity Photo, and posted. Thanks Jowday for your input.

Super you found a solution.

I envy you that you starting taking pictures so early in life. I am pretty good but still learn a lot. I started when I was 30. Would love to have learned for 25 additional years - and to have all the photos from my life. They make me remember so much more.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

Could you post a copy of your original negative (of the ship), using this method? I'd be interested to see how well it works on that one.

(I've tried it with some of my old scans with colour casts and it seems to work quite well.)

I assumed that the original was a colour image, but I'm wondering if it is actually black and white? (As far as I remember you could develop C-41 in black and white chemicals but it still retained the orange base.)

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

1 minute ago, Graham L Furlonger said:

Hi Firstdefence, answers to your questions...

1. Never seen a positive print from this neg.

2. Yes, lots on this roll of negs had a light leak problem. (It was taken with my Fathers very old Balda folding 6x6 camera Circa 1950

3. Nope scanning procedure is perfect and repeatable. works very well on E6 and B&W negs.

(Post comment) I have now found a way to do this very easily and posted it. Thanks for your help.

Wouldn't it be great to still have that camera

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

1 minute ago, Jowday said:

Super you found a solution.

I envy you that you starting taking pictures so early in life. I am pretty good but still learn a lot. I started when I was 30. Would love to have learned for 25 additional year - and to have all the photos from my life.

Thanks, I was encouraged from a really early age Jowday, When I first got the opportunity to see a black and white print develop infront of my eyes in a darkroom at the age of 11 I was amazed. I collected some basic stuff and was developing my own negatives and printing from them at the age of 12.

I have done a full circle really, started on negative film B&W then C41, professed to E6 positives, then in the 80's went Medium format 6 x 4.5 and 6x6 ending up with a Mamiya RZ6x7.

Then in the early 2000's purchased a used 4x5 monorail and then a 10x8 field camera (still have these and use them today) then in 2003 purchased a brand new Nikon D100 DSLR, sold loads of my film kit including my FM2n and Olympus OM4 (LOVED the OM) then progressed into D600, D800 and recently purchased a really nice Used FM2n and OM4 again. Currently have two ETRSi bodies too. 

Film is making a serious comeback although will never compete with the mobile phone snapper masses. lol

Enjoy whatever you do, be lucky you started later... my kids will have approx 5000 combined negatives and E6 slides to sort through including:-

35mm, 645, 6x6, 6x7, 4x5 and 10x8!

ha ha

Regards

G

www.grahamfurlonger.co.uk

You have some wonderful photographs on your website.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions