You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Digital Noise tool.

On 1/14/2021 at 8:58 PM, Jim Vormelker said:

IF this is already exists, my apologies - I haven't seen it.

I would use a tool to specifically clean up digital noise in under exposed areas, such as dark clouds. I use, by need, not by choice, a cellphone with raw image capability and sunset pictures are often rendered useless by digital noise.

I don't think it does. Personally I use a professional tool for this - Noiseware Professional - that has sliders for NR effect on color ranges and on monochrome areas.

Without such a specialized tool you have to make do with the built in features - and masking layers. I use masking layers too with Noiseware btw.

You can use blend ranges to some extent.

• I applied several iterations of NR on the topmost layer (a duplicate of the layer below)
  • Selected the cog tool (blend ranges) and made adjustments to "source layer ranges"
  • Think of it as a histogram where the curve is adjusted for full effect in shadows (left) and then reduced effect as you move towards the midtones and highlights to the right
  • In reality it is 0% layer transparency to the left and then more transparency as you move towards the midtones and highlights (and then the original image layer below is gradually visible - the image without noise reduction applied)

Arch, English is not my native language - check out the attached file NR in shadows.afphoto

image.png.c25b91c912f0d885428a765f8df1a44c.png

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

27 minutes ago, Jim Vormelker said:

Thanks. I went to Noiseware, but had issues with the download. I notice that it is not a new program - is it possible that it's not available any more?

Their algorithms worked virtually unchanged since forever - the plugin is still updated to work with updates of Photoshop.

I just learned that it crashes (freezes) Photo on this machine. Didn't always do that. So do verify it works for you. I use it with Photoshop CC.

There are many other noise reduction plugins though. I just like Noiseware the most. Easy to use - lightning fast.

These are the settings I mentioned:

image.png.9f75677b9530d2ff134ee8de189ff4d8.png

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

@Jim Vormelker

My choice of "external" app for noise reduction, and which also works fully as a plugin within APh is Neat Image.

HTH

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

If you shoot RAW the best option is  DxO Deep PRIME. It's simply in it's own class , much better then the other alternatives.

Topaz Denoise AI is also very good. It support both RAW and JPEG. You can also mask selected area for denoising.

I own all of the above mentioned tools (and more) except neatimage. Each has its own place in my workflows.

Many are efficient but slow though. That's why I use Noiseware a lot with masks. In Photoshop. I am painting with noise reduction so to speak, and every time I need to apply noise reduction on a layer it works extremely fast. Also in LAB mode that I use exclusively for long periods of time in Photoshop. Once you get the hang of it... no way back.

@Jim Vormelker is in a scenario with RAW images capture on his smartphone. In this case why not stick to apps on the phone. Photoshop Express (PS Express) opens RAW images shot on the phone and I did get some satisfactory result from its noise reduction.