You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

TIF file - Saving in AP - Compression?

Hi all,

I have a existing TIF file. Size around 600 GB.

I open this file and I close the file in AP. Size is the same.

I open the file and say SAVE (STRG+S) and the export windows appears. File size now around 300 GB.

Is there the compression activ for TIF files?

And where can I disable it?

Thanks for you answers!

PMX

Hi Meb,

thank you for your answer.

But as I said I did nothing with export. Just open and save (STRG+S).

I did a new test. Opened a Tif file (750 GB), exported it, compression is set to none and file size is around 375 GB now.

Unbenannt.jpg

First of all I am so glad that you are not working with a 750 GIGABYTE but with a 750 MEGABYTE file. ;)

Made my own tests and YES, a simple save adds a ZIP compression to the file. I would expect that through a simple save all "save settings" are retained.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

• Staff

Hi @PMX,
Thanks for your feedback. I confirm that simply saving TIFF files is indeed adding compression. I'm passing this to the dev team/logging the issue to be looked at. Regarding exporting with Compression set to None, everything seems to be working fine for me both on macOS and Windows - the file is being saved uncompressed (roughly the same size). Do you mind uploading the TIFF file (750 MB) used as example in your screenshot above for us to check please? Here's an upload link to send it directly to us. Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, Fixx said:

Is it really an issue? TIFF LZW compression is generally very compatible with all applications.

Yes it is, as we are talking about unwanted ZIP compression. I already experienced problems with TIF and ZIP compression.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

On 1/26/2021 at 12:32 PM, MEB said:

Hi PMX,
It was logged and marked/tagged as an improvement. No eta or other info available.

Hi Meb,

okay than I will be patient... :(

But in my opinion it is a bug (not an improvment) that the export function always adds compression even when it is set to none!

• Staff

Hi @PMX,
The original issue reported in the tread (ZIP compression being added when saving TIFF files) is what was logged and marked as an improvement (the app was coded to save TIFF files with compression and is acting as such thus wasn't considered a bug per is).

Regarding the File > Export writing a TIFF file with compression when the Compression setting is set to None, i wasn't able to reproduce this as i said in my second post (even with your file). The file is being save uncompressed. The difference in size is due to the additional data the TIFF file contains (photoshop layers etc) that's discarded when you export it as TIFF from Affinity. If you include Affinity layers you will get an uncompressed TIFF file with around 424Mb, without Affinity layers it will have around 84Mb (roughly the same if you open the file in Photoshop and export to TIFF from there without compression and without photoshop layers). So there's no bug to log.

Hi MEB,

thank you for your answer.

To summarize it: So there is no way to keep the PS layers in a TIF file when I want to keep on working with TIF files.

Compression or not is working with TIF files but just with Affinit layers.