You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Replacing a photo resets frame properties

Not sure if this is a bug or maybe a setting I'm missing... I find that depending on the photo dimensions when I replace one photo with another, the picture frame properties are reset to None. I had a file with a collage of 10 photos and had to replace each one and for each one I had to re-choose Scale to Max Fit.

I just did a couple test (both 1.8.x and 1.9 beta) and it seems to work properly if the new photo is the same dimensions or even the same but rotated 90 degrees. But if it's a completely different size then it resets to None.

I also experience an unwanted behavior even when replacing an image with the identical file: then picture frame settings, respectively size and/or position of the image within the frame may become altered for no reason.

@Jeremy, just a handling hint: You can select more than 1 picture frame at a time and edit frame property options for all of them.
It live-previews your selected option for all selected frames. To cancel you must use the cancel button once you tried an option – just leaving the window by clicking outside will close the window + the settings will be applied.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Oddly, I can't replicate it now. I'm using the same file and trying the same batch of photos that I was using when I first posted. There must be some step that I'm missing.

I have one more thing I can try - I really noticed this again when I was updating a photo collage for a calendar, changing 2020 to 2021 and dropping new photos over top the old ones. I can gain access to the 2020 file off my backup later today.

On 1/19/2021 at 1:37 PM, Gabe said:

We can't seem to replicate it here. Have you got any set of images that definitely behave this way? Or is it any images? 

In my experience it's not related to specific images ... but hard to tell what it exactly depends on. I just can say I often get surprised / confused by the result of a replaced image and need to re-adjust its scale & position.

Right now I noticed in the test below 1 main influencer: the the Context Toolbar Replace button which obviously changes scaling for no reason in a picture frame with property Scale + Anchor set to None. Also note that via Context Toolbar a stroke assigned to the image (not frame) gets ignored on replace (see 'pear' > doesn't happen via Res-Mgr).

While, at least in this test, scale & position seem to work as expected via Resource Manager. Unfortunately there the selection of a specific image copy gives a hard time because of its inability to maintain a selected image in its list but selects its folder instead. I am aware that copies of images aren't a usual layout workflow, nevertheless this weird behavior is quite annoying for tests like this. Also one might start with placeholder images spread across a page or document layout for later replacement, which will run into this difficulty, too.

• Staff

I think the key to this bug is the way you positioned/scaled those images (things that happen before the video started), as we can't replicate it. Do you mind zipping up this project? Or attach a screen recording from the beginning of your workflow?

2 hours ago, Gabe said:

the way you positioned/scaled

In the video below 2 methods are used: Image edge dragging & Pict-frm slider. I did not try via Transform panel. – What ways do you use to A.) get and B.) prevent the issue that makes you assume this way may cause the issue?

On replacing both get scaled to 100% / + centered, though both frame properties are set to NO Scale / NO anchor to avoid any influence done by the app. This setting is preferred + saved as Default to be able to crop an image without getting it moved within its frame. (So its more helpful if the image is scaled before getting placed into or converted to a picture frame.) Unfortunately the convert-way ignores this saved default frame property – which seems to be an additional, separate issue/bug.

Here the .afpub + the 3 lowres images of page 1 (= video above) ...  v186 replace images.zip

EDIT: Sorry, below...
... the left recipe "6. No re-position at all" isn't correct. It should say "6. Re-positioning via image edge dragging".
... in the right recipe "5. No cropping at all" would better say "5. No frame-edge-drag cropping"

• 4 weeks later...

As Thomaso, I’m experiencing some odd behaviours  as you can see from the video (link below) I have the same problem in replacing an image with custom scale/position. Once the image is replaced it sets back to 100%scale and centred (I always had this problem even before version 1.9)

Also If replacing the image from the Resource Manager it will remove all the images but the last one, and the one that gets updated changes settings to “Stretch and Fit”.

Very odd indeed and clearly a bug.

ps: the images that I used as sample have the exact same px-size (2 variant of the same image file) and also I tested it using the exact same file and Publisher would behave in the same odd way.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1da3nc1cmKyCoAfc3s_jRsN1Y64RIc7gp/view?usp=sharing

Edited by F-Zimba

+1

Not sure if it's necessary to mention, @Gabe but I am experiencing similar issues with my Windows version (Win10 with Publisher 1.9.0.932).

With the exception, that it does not matter which way I use to replace the image, it never keeps the transformation info of the image to be replace. it always sets everything back to default. with drag and drop, toolbar or via the resource manager.

best, g

1 hour ago, Gabe said:

Sorry, I forgot up update the post. I've logged this with our developers. 

Thank you Gabe!

I think this is the biggest issue for architects. We work on huge presentation and during the layout and export we need the possbility to update our links without to lose everytime the scale/position/rotation settings. Also it will be nice, that if you relocate your Links-folder, you would need to update one link and the AP should understand to take the links from this new folder. (Hope you understand what I mean)

Thank you in advance and I wish you all a wonderfull day!

Cheers

Manuel

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, F-Zimba said:

updating to 1.9.1 but unfortunately all the above stated issues seam to be exact as they were before

@Gabe, to me it became even worse with 1.9.1.: Now replacing an image in a picture frame (set to not scale/no anchor) …

… via Context Toolbar still scales the image, but
… via Resource Manager now even misplaces the image entirely outside its picture frame (making the frame appear empty).

I haven't tried in AD yet but noticed only that the Resource Manager is mentioned in an Affinity "What's New in AD 1.9.1" video tutorial. It is hardly to understand that an APub feature gets transferred to AD before its bugs are fixed in APub. The Resource Manager still has various issues in APub since long, some of them with its UI only – so either AD got an improved version but APub did not – or AD got APub's buggy version, too. Both sounds rationally not sensible.

21 hours ago, F-Zimba said:

Hi all,

Briefly tested Publisher again after updating to 1.9.1 but unfortunately all the above stated issues seam to be exact as they were before.

any luck, anyone?

cheers

F

Same here... I was so enthusiast wenn I saw the new release.. but, yes, as @thomaso said: it became even worst.

I know, everybody has its own trouble and issue, but in my opinion this feature is at the really basic of such a software.

@Gabe any news from the developers?

I wish you all a good night and a good new week for tomorrow!

Cheers

M.

Hi Gabe, for me it is not "slightly worse". It is a catastrophe! Usual I am working with low-res RGB pictures when I am lay outing the pages. At the end - when the layout is confirmed - I replace all pictures with the final retouched High-Res Versions. This works fine - until now. I am so so happy, that I did not update to 1.9. until my last photobook-projekt with 180 pages and 250 pictures was ready. 

By now I can dump my actual project with several  pages and lots of pictures an re-do all the work in Publisher 1.8, where the problem does not occur. Unfortunately there is no way to export a 1.9 .afpub file to 1.8 or something like an IDML. 

Good to know you’re on it and I really hope, you can fix this soon.

Kind regards

Michael

Mac Mini M1 | Big Sur 11.2.3 | Affinity Publisher, Designer, Photo 1.9.2

• Staff

We have tried to mend this a number of ways, but each did not quite solve the whole problem. Please can you try the latest beta 1.9.2.1009 which has a new solution to this problem

WIN:

MAC:  

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

1 hour ago, Patrick Connor said:

We have tried to mend this a number of ways, but each did not quite solve the whole problem. Please can you try the latest beta 1.9.2.1009 which has a new solution to this problem

WIN:

MAC:  

Hi there! It seems to work!!! 😃 I tested both methods, "Replace Image" and "Resource Manager" and I didn't had any issue. Thank you very much! I will try it out with other files. I wish you all a wonderfull day! Cheers, M.

5 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

Hello Patrick,

I have tested beta as suggested and for the most part, it solved the problem:

- replacing images using "Replace Image" button (on toolbar) it works as intended when image is set to any of the image property (S Max fit / S Min fit / Stretch fit / manual scale-position-rotation ) 👍🏻

- replacing images using "Resource Manager..." window it works as intended when image is set to any of the image property (S Max fit / S Min fit / Stretch fit / manual scale-position-rotation) 👍🏻

- replacing images dragging directly from OS (Finder MacOS) it works as intended when image property is set to (S Max fit / S Min fit / Stretch fit)  but it won't work when set to "manual scale-position-rotation" resetting the image to a 100%-100% Scale, 0degree rotation and centring the image to the image-frame.

Definitely a huge improvement guys, even though I have to admit, I'm very much use to use drag and drop that I hope you can find the way to make that work too.

thank you very much.

• Staff

Thanks for looking at this for me @F-Zimba

9 hours ago, F-Zimba said:

...but it won't work when set to "manual scale-position-rotation" resetting the image to a 100%-100% Scale, 0degree rotation and centring the image to the image-frame.

Please could you post this part into the beta forum preferably with a sample document. @Jon P can you replicate without a sample document?

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon