You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Opacity setting for layer not accepted/ignored

When changing the opacity of a layer (with slider) and I click somewhere else in the layer window the settings (sometimes) is not confirmed (layer opacity is set to previous value again)
It happens quite frequently - despite the fact that I can not reliably reproduce it every time. But since it often happens I was able to record ist - see attached video. Here I changed the opacity of the "Logo" layer from 19% to 75% ... clicked on a different layer and back on the "Logo" layer and the setting was back to 19%. As I said - this does not always happen - but often enough to seriously upset me in the workflow.

Really annoying - If I'm doing something "wrong" (and the behaviour is "by design") it does not seem to be obvious to me. Maybe a reason to re-think the workflow.
Cheers, Timo

CRM.png.a048d588572393102ac3cc403bfa8af7.png

i7-12700KF, 3.60 GHz, 32GB RAM, SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070, Wacom Intuos 4 Tablet, Windows 11 Pro - AP, AD and APublisher V1 and V2
https://www.timobierbaum.com

• Staff

Hey Timo,

Can you reproduce this a) with a mouse and b) on a new document? There's a few of us trying this as we can clearly see something isn't right but so far we haven't been able to reproduce your results.

If you cannot reproduce it on a new doc, it might be doc-specific, in which case could we grab that from you please?

FYI I've also tried with my Wacom

Hi Chris, I can try to reproduce it with a mouse ...
I experience the problem always with various new documents ... (To be precise: in my workflow it happens with an PSD format passed on from CaptureOne that is post-processed in Affinity (it's enough to simply add my logo layer and reduce opacity there). Or do you want to exclude a faulty PSD import? I'll check that as well ...

i7-12700KF, 3.60 GHz, 32GB RAM, SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070, Wacom Intuos 4 Tablet, Windows 11 Pro - AP, AD and APublisher V1 and V2

• Staff

Thanks. Honestly whatever you can try will be appreciated. It's had a few of us scratching our heads today! 

One of the developers did find another issue with the Opacity slider being greyed out on the Colour Panel so that was a win to find that.

Hi Chris,

just reproduced the effect with a new document. Added a plain blue rectangle and dragged my logo asset to the rectangle. Could instantly reproduce the effect with the tablet.
Also tried it with the mouse and had the same effect ...

Strangely this does not happen always. I tried to figure out if it's related to where I click after changing the slider ... but even clicking on identical locations in the window (on another layer or in an empty area in the window) sometimes the value is saved - sometimes not. I'm aware this is no big help. In case I find something that makes me reproduce the effect in 100% of the cases I'll let you know ...

Windows 10 64 bit/APhoto 1.8.5.703 - behaviour is unchanged in APhoto Beta 1.9.0.903/Wacom Intuos Pro

I'm hoping my experience is to the point - but I'm happy to start a new topic if not.  Please see attached video.  The opacity layer setting is ignored - only when using the tablet.  When using the mouse it is accepted first time.  It mostly takes 2 or 3 attempts to set the opacity with the pen+tablet but sometimes several as you see.  The behaviour, whilst not a huge problem, is really annoying until the program finally accepts the opacity setting.

Ok, I was not able to replicate this at first. However with this current beta, I did not do a clean install. I "updated". Thinking about that while trying to replicate this opacity issue, I decided to uninstall and do a clean install, this included deleting the 1.0 Photo Beta folders. 

After doing the clean install, I was easily able to replicate this opacity issue.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

• 1 month later...

Just to bring this up again ...
The problem still exists in the latest beta (.979) ... and it's not an occasional topic ... it happens 50% of the times the setting is changed!
I'm aware it's annoying ... if there's anything I can do to help you solve the topic I'm happy to do so!

Cheers, Timo

Hi @DarkClown, now that the beta build 979 is in production, do you think it is worth starting a new thread (replicating or referencing this one) in the forum for Production builds?  I find this problem particularly annoying and it might help not only to get it brought to attention but to get a fault number allocated.

Maybe a moderat

On 1/15/2021 at 5:03 PM, Chris B said:

Thanks. I had a quick go again but didn't get it. I'm happy to keep poking it and I've asked a few others to keep an eye out for it.

Appreciate the help :) 

Maybe Chris can tell us if ther topic still is on the bug-tracking list ...

• Staff

I can't even reproduce it. I asked around the team and they couldn't either.

@Subclavius - I notice in the video you're changing the opacity and then clicking the slider dropdown again to hide it which is unnecessary. Do you still get the issue if you don't do that?

Thats a bummer ... I'm aware it's hard to look for bugs if you can't reproduce them. Would it be helpful if I record another video?
I was trying to find a "setup" to avoid the behaviour but regardless where I click after changing opacity it still frequently happens. I can click on the layer that is supposed to change the opacity - or click on a different layer. This seems to make no difference.

@Chris B, you're right that clicking the slider to obscure isn't necessary but it makes no difference.  Just old habits ...

The fault occurs every time when starting a new document.  Also, the problem for me only occurs when using the Wacom tablet (which is all the time). When using the mouse to do the same operation APhoto behaves as expected and works the first time.

Although you are unable to reproduce it, I can't seem to avoid it!   I guess I shall have to carry on testing ...

Ok, I might have made some progress on this one.  The problem appears to stem from a mismatch related to the tablet input mode.

• If I select Windows Ink on the Wacom properties AND Windows Ink in APhoto tablet input mode the problem disappears.   The only slight drawback here is that after setting the opacity with the pen, I have to click again to make the slider vanish, otherwise I still get the Windows arrow on the document and land up pressing twice from where I want to drawing, risking a "bounce" with the pen and getting more than one mark when painting
  • with non-Windows Ink modes the problem goes away if the opacity slider is dragged. Up to now I have been setting the opacity by simply tapping on the desired opacity (usualy 50%) and for some reason this is ignored by APhoto until the umpteenth go. Trying to set the opacity to another value after this results in the same behaviour if tapping but it works just fine if dragging the slider.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.