You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Aligning a shape that is part of a group

Dear,

I want to align one layer/shape to the canvas center, but that layer is part of a group of layers, and is not in the dead center of the group.

How can I align that layer to the canvas center, while moving the whole group with it at the same time?

Thanks in advance

Use the Transform panel to find the offset of the key shape, in this case the star, and apply the opposite to the group
I think it's easier if the Spread Origin (see Guides Manager) is set to the centre of the canvas. See 'Rulers' in Help for more info.
Select the star, click the centre Anchor point selector and note the values +260 & -84
Select the Group and type -260 at the end of the X box and +84 <enter> for the Y

1.png

2.png

3.png

Microsoft Windows 11 Home, Intel i7-1360P 2.20 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Intel Iris Xe
Affinity Photo - 24/05/20, Affinity Publisher - 06/12/20, KTM Superduke - 27/09/10

6 hours ago, Mohd Bash said:

I want to align one layer/shape to the canvas center, but that layer is part of a group of layers, and is not in the dead center of the group.

How can I align that layer to the canvas center, while moving the whole group with it at the same time?

The trick is to first snap the Group's Transform Origin (TO) to the special member of the Group and then use the TO as a handle for the Group and drag the TO to the centre of the canvas.

A Group's TO can be snapped to a member of the Group when "Candidate List" is the candidates mode of the snapping options and the member is made a candidate.

A TO can be used as a handle by ctrl+dragging on a Mac. (Look at the status bar at bottom of the app window for modifier key hints when the pointer is over the TO.)