You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Trying to figure out how to setup the spacing for Tabs, but the only option I can find is Tab Stops. There is no floating ruler, where I can adjust the tabs. If I input tabs into my text, the spacing shows up inconsistently between words... anyone figure out how to get beyond this?

Edit: Apparently you can do this in Publisher with View > Show Text Ruler

But this doesn't appear in the View menu in Affinity Photo. :/

Edited by AffinityType

The Text Ruler was created for use in Publisher which came out quite a while after Designer and Photo.
There’s a chance that this functionality may be brought over to either Designer or Photo (or both) at some point but Serif have their own ways of deciding which features are in which application(s).
All we can do is to make requests in the relevant forum area (there may already be one) and wait to see if anything happens.

On 1/13/2021 at 5:04 AM, AffinityType said:

Why would Affinity Photo not have this basic feature...?

It isn't a "basic feature" in a photo editor; it is in a text editor!

If you need that functionality it would be better to use Publisher. The three apps all have their own particular uses and Studiolink makes it very easy to use all of them together seamlessly.

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

4 hours ago, PaulEC said:

I would not need this feature if using tabs didn't create hugely inconsistent gaps between words. How else can I create a layout with six-eight words that need even spacing? I'm not laying out a book, but I use this to create mockups. For a menu on a web layout, I actually had to type out the spaces one at a time, then go through and type more spaces in between each word until the spacing was correct. Then if I wanted to change a word or a font, I had to completely retool it. Relative to the rest of the program, this is a pretty basic feature, especially since it's been created in Publisher? You seem personally offended...?

It isn't a "basic feature" in a photo editor; it is in a text editor!

If you need that functionality it would be better to use Publisher. The three apps all have their own particular uses and Studiolink makes it very easy to all of them together seamlessly.

24 minutes ago, AffinityType said:

How else can I create a layout with six-eight words that need even spacing? 

Type each word in a Art Text frame and align the frames and use Distribute space.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

17 hours ago, AffinityType said:

Screenshot_2021-01-14-08-28-50.thumb.png.38fef4dd8331c3ba414fe621d9e607d0.png

Insert your text "into" the post of the user to whom you are responding, and even write it in front of him, is really very impractical - it is not at all clear what your text is and what the post you are responding to is.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.