You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Lines Per Inch Question

Can't help you unfortunately, what are you looking to get printed? Not sure why your printer would be asking for that, normally LPI would be done on the RIP level as far as I understand and that has nothing to do with client who is supplying the file. I can see requesting a certain DPI, but not LPI. Is this a unique piece being printed or something more standard?

LPI is a measure of the density of the lines in a halftone grid. To translate this to DPI (or PPI on your computer screen) the usual rule is to multiply it by 1.5 or 2.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 hour ago, SusB said:

My printer wants my document to have …

1. (Objects in) Affinity documents still have no option for setting lpi ?

2. If you use a high image density / contrasts and high end screening methods the printer should use more than 175 lpi!

Ah, I wondered if there was some sort of equivalence between DPI and LPI. Thanks, Alfred. At the least this will give me something to question my printer about.

Oval, no they don't, or at least not so you could find it in the Help. I think the image density will be okay. 

I'll go with a high DPI and hope that works!

42 minutes ago, wonderings said:

Can't help you unfortunately, what are you looking to get printed? Not sure why your printer would be asking for that, normally LPI would be done on the RIP level as far as I understand and that has nothing to do with client who is supplying the file. I can see requesting a certain DPI, but not LPI. Is this a unique piece being printed or something more standard?

Nothing unique about the piece. It's a book with black text and gray pictures. I'm just inexperienced in translating the requirements into Affinity Speak.

16 minutes ago, Lagarto said:

Yes, but this is not what is asked here. Affinity apps cannot be used to produce true monochrome halftone screens (not to mention separations) -- only simulations like halftone effects in Photo:

halfone_effect.jpg.bbdb21724e3a1f1a9bbb947a88dd05d3.jpg

Actual print halftone screens are a prepress stuff and not something that are created in graphic design apps (even when it is technically possible). 

Ours was handled by our RIP,  like you said not something we did on the design or setup end of things which is why I find it curious they are asking for this.