You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[Solved] 1.9.0.885/891 doesn't start on Windows 10 Enterprise N (20H2)

Maybe there is something in the Windows Registry that needs to be cleaned/changed? I see you've tried everything at the filesystem level, so who knows?

Best regards!

• Staff
21 minutes ago, Sean P said:

Thanks for that - I've downloaded and extracted your Designer folder and locally that starts up for me without an issue. I've also used kdiff3 and run your extracted folder against my contents and all those files are the same!

Would you mind also attaching a copy of that license.xml file from your install directory to that link as well? This behaviour does seem very weird as Mark said, the app should no longer write a file to this directory, and the Beta app should never write it if you already have the release version installed either!

In addition to this can you give any further information on how all 3 non beta apps are installed? Are they all Affinity Store installs, or are some from the Microsoft Store? Is this any different to how you have the apps installed on your working machine (i.e do you have the same amount of betas, and non betas installed and are they from the same location as the ones on your working machine).

18 minutes ago, Sean P said:

In addition to this can you give any further information on how all 3 non beta apps are installed? Are they all Affinity Store installs, or are some from the Microsoft Store? Is this any different to how you have the apps installed on your working machine (i.e do you have the same amount of betas, and non betas installed and are they from the same location as the ones on your working machine).

All are from the Affinity Store. I install them in the default locations.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

34 minutes ago, Mithferion said:

Maybe there is something in the Windows Registry that needs to be cleaned/changed? I see you've tried everything at the filesystem level, so who knows?

Best regards!

All tried days ago. All checked. I don't think that is the issue at all. Problems started in beta 885 in two simultaneously released betas, and not in the Publisher beta 887. I am pretty sure there is nothing wrong with my setup. I only have problems in these two installs and my .NET setup check out fine as well. No errors.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

14 minutes ago, Jowday said:

All tried days ago. All checked. I don't think that is the issue at all.

I don't want you to spend much more time that you've already done without good results, but other few things I'd try would be:

• Launching them in Windows Safe Mode
  • Launching them playing with the Compatibility Mode options

Best regards!

49 minutes ago, Sean P said:

I also wonder if you uninstall the current, empty the folder and then reinstall and older build that did work - whether that would still work for you? Also have you tried installing the Beta do a new location (C:\Program Files\Designer Beta - for example)?

• Installing build 891 to c:\program files\alabama\whiskey bar\ didn't work
  • Installing good old beta build 876 works fine

Something must have been changed in build 885 and 891 compared to 876 and prior builds. 

Anywhere I can get more logs from .NET?

• Staff
3 minutes ago, Jowday said:
  • Installing build 891 to c:\program files\alabama\whiskey bar\ didn't work
  • Installing good old beta build 876 works fine

Something must have been changed in build 885 and 891 compared to 876 and prior builds. 

Anywhere I can get more logs from .NET?

Does the Event Viewer 'WER' report contain any links to DMP files or can you see any relating to the Designer crash if so can you attach those please?

Not sure if my comment regarding License.xml got missed. Could you attach a copy of that license.xml file from your install directory to that Dropbox link as well? This behaviour does seem very weird as Mark said, the app should no longer write a file to this directory, and the Beta app should never write it if you already have the release version installed. Does your product key email contain any 'exotic' Finnish characters?

Is this still appearing for you when you attempt to run it up? Judging by your previous screenshots I assume you're running a Finnish language version of Windows? I'll try getting that installed on a VM

7 minutes ago, Sean P said:

Does the Event Viewer 'WER' report contain any links to DMP files or can you see any relating to the Designer crash if so can you attach those please?

Not sure if my comment regarding License.xml got missed. Could you attach a copy of that license.xml file from your install directory to that Dropbox link as well? This behaviour does seem very weird as Mark said, the app should no longer write a file to this directory, and the Beta app should never write it if you already have the release version installed. Does your product key email contain any 'exotic' Finnish characters?

Is this still appearing for you when you attempt to run it up? Judging by your previous screenshots I assume you're running a Finnish language version of Windows? I'll try getting that installed on a VM

The reports are not much more informative than the details in the event log - I will upload them within 15 min. I posted the content in a longer post in this thread.

Well, I prefer to be as anonymous as possible 🙂

I am running a Danish Windows 10 Enterprise on both machines. No exotic characters in key or e-mail address. All English letters. Begins with:

<?xml version = "1.0" encoding = "utf-8" ?>
<Licence xmlns:xsd = "http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" xmlns:xsi = "http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">

• Licens only installed in Designer Beta folder
  • Betas run without it
  • Designer release versions does not (starts trial screen)

23 minutes ago, Sean P said:

• Uninstalled Designer release and beta version - purged all folders - reinstalled both, release version first (703).
  • Release version no longer requires the license file to run now
  • Beta version still doesn't run

Out of ideas now.

Tried safe mode and disabling anti-virus days ago btw.

With three release versions and three betas installed (all latest versions from Affinity store) runs flawlessly on other computer (Windows 10 Ent, 1809, paranoid corporate setup)

Uploaded what I get in 

c:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\

c:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\

Event Viewer mentions these files, but they are just not there

\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER10F.tmp.dmp
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER19D.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER1CD.tmp.xml
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER1DB.tmp.csv
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER1FB.tmp.txt

(And yes, I have enabled view hidden files)

• Staff
26 minutes ago, Jowday said:

Uploaded what I get in 

c:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\

c:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\

Event Viewer mentions these files, but they are just not there

\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER10F.tmp.dmp
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER19D.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER1CD.tmp.xml
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER1DB.tmp.csv
\\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER1FB.tmp.txt

(And yes, I have enabled view hidden files)

Thanks for that - trying to download Danish Windows Enterprise N from MSDN but keep getting network errors at the moment. :(

I've zipped up a copy of my Designer install directory. Could you try extracting (Desktop folder is fine) and try launching Designer.exe. The files did seem to match the ones you supplied, so I imagine this probably will also crash.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dpnrjv051asu25l/Designer Customer Beta.zip?dl=0

47 minutes ago, Sean P said:

Thanks for that - trying to download Danish Windows Enterprise N from MSDN but keep getting network errors at the moment. :(

I've zipped up a copy of my Designer install directory. Could you try extracting (Desktop folder is fine) and try launching Designer.exe. The files did seem to match the ones you supplied, so I imagine this probably will also crash.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dpnrjv051asu25l/Designer Customer Beta.zip?dl=0

Yep, they crashed too.

• Staff
1 hour ago, Jowday said:

Yep, they crashed too.

Thanks for checking! I've finally got Windows 10 20H2 Enterprise N in Danish installed and can reproduce that .NET crash straight away! I've also reproduced the behaviour of Designer (and Photo) starting when installed, and think I know why that is the case! Thanks very much for your persistance and help with this! :) 

Just now, Sean P said:

Thanks for checking! I've finally got Windows 10 20H2 Enterprise N in Danish installed and can reproduce that .NET crash straight away! I've also reproduced the behaviour of Designer (and Photo) starting when installed, and think I know why that is the case! Thanks very much for your persistance and help with this! :) 

My pleasure! Anytime. Happy to help!

• Staff

Hi Jowday, 

Just a quick update to let you know that the crash is specific to the N portion of your Windows install. 1.9.0.885 introduced the Export as Timelapse feature which relies on Windows H.264 element. Unfortunately this isn't present in N versions of Windows, so was causing the app to crash immediately.

47 minutes ago, Sean P said:

Just a quick update to let you know that the crash is specific to the N portion of your Windows install. 1.9.0.885 introduced the Export as Timelapse feature which relies on Windows H.264 element. Unfortunately this isn't present in N versions of Windows, so was causing the app to crash immediately.

Thank you for reporting back, Sean. Ah yes, yesterday I read that the N stands for something like Not with Media Player, so that sounds correct.

I don't think I will ever use the timelapse feature, so instead of trying to install the player and what not to see if Designer beta works then, should I just stay put and check your forthcoming fix instead? Is that not the most interesting test scenario?

• Staff
11 minutes ago, Jowday said:

Is that not the most interesting test scenario?

Yes please leave your machine as it is, and the next windows beta should run, but that feature will not function as it relies on OS level functionality that you (and others) will not have.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff
29 minutes ago, Jowday said:

Thank you for reporting back, Sean. Ah yes, yesterday I read that the N stands for something like Not with Media Player, so that sounds correct.

I don't think I will ever use the timelapse feature, so instead of trying to install the player and what not to see if Designer beta works then, should I just stay put and check your forthcoming fix instead? Is that not the most interesting test scenario?

Indeed as Patrick said its worth leaving your machine as is! I did confirm on a VM that after installing the Media Feature Pack (for Windows 10 it can be found in Windows Settings >  Apps > Apps and Features > Optional Features) it did start up. :)

Will do, @Patrick Connor 🙂 - I thought so.

Thank you for the how-to, @Sean P - maybe I will need that quick-guide one day.

Have a nice weekend!

10 minutes ago, HANDJOJO said:

Affinity Designer 1.9.0.891 in my Windonws 20H2 64 bit running well, didn't have any issue as well as for Affinity Photo & Publisher all running well.

This is a Windows Enterprise N issue - so the problem is due to the latest two betas assuming that certain features are available - features that are simply not installed in the N edition. Serif will now add a check for these features (H.264 element) and disable the new timelapse feature if they are not installed.

On 1/15/2021 at 10:44 AM, Sean P said:

Hi Jowday, 

On 1/13/2021 at 12:30 PM, Mark Ingram said:

😞 

And the latest version of Publisher works just fine?

I have the same issue with lastest Publisher Beta working super cool but AfPhoto and AfDesigner not launching.
I decided i'll wait for you to release the next beta release.

Will it require I uninstall then reinstall or just push the update button to get it working.

Thanks

Never be the Same Again !
---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF
Intel Core i5-10500T @2.30GHz with 12GiB 2666MHz DDR4
Intel UHD Graphics 630 for 10th Generation
M.2 2280, 512 GB, PCIe NVMe Gen3 x4, Class 40 SSD

Windows 11 Pro x64 22H2 + LibreOffice 7.5.3

5 minutes ago, Uncle Mez said:

I have the same issue with lastest Publisher Beta working super cool but AfPhoto and AfDesigner not launching.
I decided i'll wait for you to release the next beta release.

Will it require I uninstall then reinstall or just push the update button to get it working.

Thanks

This is a Windows topic, Uncle Mez, about a specific problem on Windows with the Windows beta versions of Affinity. I don't think anything in it is relevant to you on a Mac.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.