You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[Solved] 1.9.0.885/891 doesn't start on Windows 10 Enterprise N (20H2)

18 minutes ago, Mark Ingram said:

😞 

And the latest version of Publisher works just fine?

Yep - I even uninstalled Publisher, purged all beta folders and re-installed the beta. Still works.

I also tried to run Designer beta from another user account. No luck either.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

1 hour ago, Jowday said:

Yep - I even uninstalled Publisher, purged all beta folders and re-installed the beta. Still works.

I also tried to run Designer beta from another user account. No luck either.

Can you try renaming Designer.exe / Photo.exe to something else, and then running.

15 minutes ago, Mark Ingram said:

Can you try renaming Designer.exe / Photo.exe to something else, and then running.

Same issue.

Found crash reports in c:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\

Version=1
EventType=APPCRASH
EventTime=132550169871524141
ReportType=2
Consent=1
UploadTime=132550169876311180
ReportStatus=268435456
ReportIdentifier=81dbb65e-1da5-4d45-80c6-adbcb1cabe62
IntegratorReportIdentifier=3d054086-1532-4376-b3c8-e6bfbc64662c
Wow64Host=34404
NsAppName=ADesigner.exe
OriginalFilename=Designer.exe
AppSessionGuid=00001c04-0001-000b-f632-c85dade9d601
TargetAppId=W:00067bca6f1a05395272ddd12cbc711f1e5b00000000!00008da90080729a697fecf2af2728038f556d764755!ADesigner.exe
TargetAppVer=2021//01//12:15:35:33!474126!ADesigner.exe
BootId=4294967295
ServiceSplit=1825177601
TargetAsId=598
IsFatal=1
EtwNonCollectReason=1
Response.BucketId=b83097dcadc2c8c2569c0c5d04312980
Response.BucketTable=4
Response.LegacyBucketId=1629190758843099520
Response.type=4
Sig[0].Name=Programnavn
Sig[0].Value=ADesigner.exe
Sig[1].Name=Programversion
Sig[1].Value=1.9.0.891
Sig[2].Name=Tidsstempel for program
Sig[2].Value=5ffdc1c5
Sig[3].Name=Fejlmodulnavn
Sig[3].Value=KERNELBASE.dll
Sig[4].Name=Fejlmodulversion
Sig[4].Value=10.0.19041.662
Sig[5].Name=Tidsstempel for fejlmodul
Sig[5].Value=ec58f015
Sig[6].Name=Undtagelseskode
Sig[6].Value=e0434352
Sig[7].Name=Undtagelsesforskydning
Sig[7].Value=000000000002d759
DynamicSig[1].Name=OS-version
DynamicSig[1].Value=10.0.19042.2.0.0.256.27
DynamicSig[2].Name=Landestandard-id
DynamicSig[2].Value=1030
DynamicSig[22].Name=Flere oplysninger 1
DynamicSig[22].Value=f496
DynamicSig[23].Name=Flere oplysninger 2
DynamicSig[23].Value=f49666310f11c732250f3d103189092b
DynamicSig[24].Name=Flere oplysninger 3
DynamicSig[24].Value=d901
DynamicSig[25].Name=Flere oplysninger 4
DynamicSig[25].Value=d901a9fdeb802b83ee258ac95298821e
UI[2]=C:\Program Files\Affinity\Designer Customer Beta\ADesigner.exe
LoadedModule[0]=C:\Program Files\Affinity\Designer Customer Beta\ADesigner.exe
LoadedModule[1]=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
LoadedModule[2]=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\MSCOREE.DLL
LoadedModule[3]=C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNEL32.dll
LoadedModule[4]=C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
LoadedModule[5]=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\apphelp.dll
LoadedModule[6]=C:\WINDOWS\System32\ADVAPI32.dll
LoadedModule[7]=C:\WINDOWS\System32\msvcrt.dll
LoadedModule[8]=C:\WINDOWS\System32\sechost.dll
LoadedModule[9]=C:\WINDOWS\System32\RPCRT4.dll
LoadedModule[10]=C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\mscoreei.dll
LoadedModule[11]=C:\WINDOWS\System32\SHLWAPI.dll
LoadedModule[12]=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\kernel.appcore.dll
LoadedModule[13]=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\VERSION.dll
LoadedModule[14]=C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\clr.dll
LoadedModule[15]=C:\WINDOWS\System32\USER32.dll
LoadedModule[16]=C:\WINDOWS\System32\win32u.dll
LoadedModule[17]=C:\WINDOWS\System32\GDI32.dll
LoadedModule[18]=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ucrtbase_clr0400.dll
LoadedModule[19]=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\VCRUNTIME140_CLR0400.dll
LoadedModule[20]=C:\WINDOWS\System32\gdi32full.dll
LoadedModule[21]=C:\WINDOWS\System32\msvcp_win.dll
LoadedModule[22]=C:\WINDOWS\System32\ucrtbase.dll
LoadedModule[23]=C:\WINDOWS\System32\IMM32.DLL
LoadedModule[24]=C:\WINDOWS\System32\psapi.dll
LoadedModule[25]=C:\WINDOWS\assembly\NativeImages_v4.0.30319_64\mscorlib\ed4777cae83e1fc9087ac3dc82cf23ab\mscorlib.ni.dll
LoadedModule[26]=C:\WINDOWS\System32\ole32.dll
LoadedModule[27]=C:\WINDOWS\System32\combase.dll
LoadedModule[28]=C:\WINDOWS\System32\bcryptPrimitives.dll
LoadedModule[29]=C:\WINDOWS\system32\uxtheme.dll
State[0].Key=Transport.DoneStage1
State[0].Value=1
OsInfo[0].Key=vermaj
OsInfo[0].Value=10
OsInfo[1].Key=vermin
OsInfo[1].Value=0
OsInfo[2].Key=verbld
OsInfo[2].Value=19042
OsInfo[3].Key=ubr
OsInfo[3].Value=746
OsInfo[4].Key=versp
OsInfo[4].Value=0
OsInfo[5].Key=arch
OsInfo[5].Value=9
OsInfo[6].Key=lcid
OsInfo[6].Value=1030
OsInfo[7].Key=geoid
OsInfo[7].Value=61
OsInfo[8].Key=sku
OsInfo[8].Value=27
OsInfo[9].Key=domain
OsInfo[9].Value=0
OsInfo[10].Key=prodsuite
OsInfo[10].Value=256
OsInfo[11].Key=ntprodtype
OsInfo[11].Value=1
OsInfo[12].Key=platid
OsInfo[12].Value=10
OsInfo[13].Key=sr
OsInfo[13].Value=0
OsInfo[14].Key=tmsi
OsInfo[14].Value=220914265
OsInfo[15].Key=osinsty
OsInfo[15].Value=3
OsInfo[16].Key=iever
OsInfo[16].Value=11.630.19041.0-11.0.220
OsInfo[17].Key=portos
OsInfo[17].Value=0
OsInfo[18].Key=ram
OsInfo[18].Value=8102
OsInfo[19].Key=svolsz
OsInfo[19].Value=118
OsInfo[20].Key=wimbt
OsInfo[20].Value=0
OsInfo[21].Key=blddt
OsInfo[21].Value=191206
OsInfo[22].Key=bldtm
OsInfo[22].Value=1406
OsInfo[23].Key=bldbrch
OsInfo[23].Value=vb_release
OsInfo[24].Key=bldchk
OsInfo[24].Value=0
OsInfo[25].Key=wpvermaj
OsInfo[25].Value=0
OsInfo[26].Key=wpvermin
OsInfo[26].Value=0
OsInfo[27].Key=wpbuildmaj
OsInfo[27].Value=0
OsInfo[28].Key=wpbuildmin
OsInfo[28].Value=0
OsInfo[29].Key=osver
OsInfo[29].Value=10.0.19041.746.amd64fre.vb_release.191206-1406
OsInfo[30].Key=buildflightid
OsInfo[30].Value=6767771C-496D-4755-8838-06469CF3C1E4.1
OsInfo[31].Key=edition
OsInfo[31].Value=EnterpriseN
OsInfo[32].Key=ring
OsInfo[32].Value=Retail
OsInfo[33].Key=expid
OsInfo[33].Value=RS:8390
OsInfo[34].Key=fconid
OsInfo[35].Key=containerid
OsInfo[36].Key=containertype
OsInfo[37].Key=edu
OsInfo[37].Value=0
FriendlyEventName=Handlingen blev afbrudt
ConsentKey=APPCRASH
AppName=Affinity Designer Beta
AppPath=C:\Program Files\Affinity\Designer Customer Beta\ADesigner.exe
NsPartner=windows
NsGroup=windows8
ApplicationIdentity=74CDCCAF605E05B7B0C696A2EF3C5711
MetadataHash=158596604

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

1 hour ago, Mark Ingram said:

Thanks, @Jowday can you copy Publisher.exe into the Designer directory and try that? And the other way around, copy Designer to the Publisher directory?

image.png.7f8a3a240b3a6046acbb22e46683e2a5.png

1 hour ago, Mark Ingram said:

Thanks, @Jowday can you copy Publisher.exe into the Designer directory and try that? And the other way around, copy Designer to the Publisher directory?

Copied Designer.exe beta to Publisher beta folder = works

Copied Publisher.exe beta to Designer beta folder = didn't launch

• Staff
24 minutes ago, Jowday said:

Copied Designer.exe beta to Publisher beta folder = works

Copied Publisher.exe beta to Designer beta folder = didn't launch

That is super interesting.

When you uninstalled Designer did you check to see if the install folder was empty before you reinstalled? Or manually uninstall and then install to a new location

Sounds like a messed up file version somewhere, or an installation problem. If after an uninstall there is still files in the designer folder, please move them to one side rather than just delete them (so we can see what they were).

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

3 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

That is super interesting.

When you uninstalled Designer did you check to see if the install folder was empty before you reinstalled? Or manually uninstall and then install to a new location

Yep, I purged everything a couple of times. Should I un-install it and install it in another folder?

I actually renamed the entire folder after installation once - didn't help.

• Staff

I do not think a different install folder will help but would love to be proven wrong. I will get someone else to look at this thread and see if they have any ideas.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

4 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

I do not think a different install folder will help but would love to be proven wrong. I will get someone else to look at this thread and see if they have any ideas.

Me neither but I know this root cause hunting game too well. I will give it a try.

Nope, didn't work either.

4 hours ago, Jowday said:

Me neither but I know this root cause hunting game too well. I will give it a try.

Nope, didn't work either.

Very interesting. I would what a diff of the directories would show. It sounds like there is some dependency missing somewhere (which is kind of odd, because it works for everyone else). Do you have anti-virus or anything like that? Could something be blocking one of the files during installation?

• Staff

The difference between the Publisher beta folder and the Designer beta folder is "Designer.exe" and "Designer.exe.config" in Designer and "Publisher.exe" and "Publisher.exe.config"  in Publisher

If you right click on the 1.9.0.891 Designer.exe file please go to properties . The file size should be 4.42 MB (4,645,576 bytes) and in the Digital Signature tab check that the sha256 signature is "‎12 ‎January ‎2021 15:38:04" and when you select sha256 and press on Details that the dialog that appears says the digital signature is OK.

image.png

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

4 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:

Very interesting. I would what a diff of the directories would show. It sounds like there is some dependency missing somewhere (which is kind of odd, because it works for everyone else). Do you have anti-virus or anything like that? Could something be blocking one of the files during installation?

Wonder no more:

rapport_diff_full.xlsx

My anti-virus never blocked an installer - and it does inform me whenever it blocks anything with a dialog I have to close.

3 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

The difference between the Publisher beta folder and the Designer beta folder is "Designer.exe" and "Designer.exe.config" in Designer and "Publisher.exe" and "Publisher.exe.config"  in Publisher

If you right click on the 1.9.0.891 Designer.exe file please go to properties . The file size should be 4.42 MB (4,645,576 bytes) and in the Digital Signature tab check that the sha256 signature is "‎12 ‎January ‎2021 15:38:04" and when you select sha256 and press on Details that the dialog that appears says the digital signature is OK.

Looks okay:

image.png.f8251d8b1d9447552854cecd774c6e0c.png

10 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:

Progress. I made this my new lockdown hobby and found that copying the files from the Publisher beta root folder to the Photo beta root folder made Photo (or Designer) work. I copied them over in batches to see if I could pinpoint the one file that causes the issue.

This is what I discovered:

• Made backup of Photo beta folder - did this in the original beta folder:
  • Tried to run photo.exe - fail
  • Copied all serif*.* files from publisher beta root folder
  • Copied all lib*.* files from publisher beta root folder too
  • Tried to run photo.exe - success

Reverse order:

• Copied backup folder into original beta folder
  • Copied all lib*.* files from publisher beta root folder
  • Copied all serif*.* files from publisher beta root folder too
  • Tried to run photo.exe - success

So all of the lib*.* and serif*.* files from the Publisher Beta root folder are required for build 891 of Designer and Photo to run. 

I have a zip of each of these folders I can upload if you provide a dropbox link. 92 files in each folder.

8 hours ago, Jowday said:

Wonder no more:

rapport_diff_full.xlsx 30.61 kB · 0 downloads

My anti-virus never blocked an installer - and it does inform me whenever it blocks anything with a dialog I have to close.

Thanks very much for investigating this. I appreciate it. That spreadsheet is really useful. 

In the Designer folder, there is a licence.xml - indicating that files have been left over from an old install (we haven't written a licence file to the installation directory for a long time). If this file is left over, it may indicate that other binary files have been left over as well, which would cause this failure.

There are no missing files, but there are differences in lib*.dll and Serif.*.dll binaries - this is to be expected, as the projects are built separately. But what I would like to know is, specifically which one of these binaries "fixes" the build. e.g. can you copy over just libpersona.dll from Publisher -> Designer, and will it work? Or does it require all of the lib*.dll files to be copied?

9 minutes ago, Mark Ingram said:

In the Designer folder, there is a licence.xml - indicating that files have been left over from an old install (we haven't written a licence file to the installation directory for a long time). If this file is left over, it may indicate that other binary files have been left over as well, which would cause this failure.

It is not a left over. If I uninstall the designer beta and verify that the folder is completely removed, I see the license file after installing 891 again. But the date... is different? Like it is being generated during install. The time stamp matches the moment I installed the beta.

image.png.39121512aa15b7d820211c0739ba0ab0.png

28 minutes ago, Mark Ingram said:

There are no missing files, but there are differences in lib*.dll and Serif.*.dll binaries - this is to be expected, as the projects are built separately. But what I would like to know is, specifically which one of these binaries "fixes" the build. e.g. can you copy over just libpersona.dll from Publisher -> Designer, and will it work? Or does it require all of the lib*.dll files to be copied?

I uninstalled publisher beta and designer beta and removed their folders.

I tried at first to copy all lib*.dll files and run the .exe - no succes

Then I copied the serif*.dll files one by one from the top - and ran designer.exe every time I had copied a file over.

It looks like designer only runs when I have copied

- All lib*.dll files

- And these five together - copying one at the time didn't make any difference.

image.png.25c75cd5a24d24bc766da06088d74e58.png

So I couldn't find one single file that cause the issue. And I don't think there is.

2 minutes ago, Jowday said:

I uninstalled publisher beta and designer beta and removed their folders.

I tried at first to copy all lib*.dll files and run the .exe - no succes

Then I copied the serif*.dll files on by one from the top - then from the bottom - and ran designer.exe after copying just one file.

It looks like designer runs when I have copied

- All lib*.dll files

- And these five together - copying one at the time didn't make any difference.

image.png.25c75cd5a24d24bc766da06088d74e58.png

So I couldn't find one single file that cause the issue. And I don't think there is.

That does make sense, unfortunately. Each of those libraries depends on the others. I was wondering whether 1 binary was out of sync with the others, and overwriting the "old" one would fix it. But it looks like _all_ of the binaries are out of sync with the main executable (Designer.exe). I think the last thing we can try doing is generating a hash of those files and comparing them to the files that I have here, so see if there are any binary differences. I'll be in touch shortly...

• Staff

@Jowday

Do you still have an install folder that doesn't work when attempting to run Designer or Photo? If so would you be able to ZIP up and attach the contents in the root  of that folder (you shouldn't need to add the sub folders to save you some time and upload).

I've created a Dropbox link here to upload to:
https://www.dropbox.com/request/SUXvV9qH7pOWItCD51G5

Also could you check to see if any of the DLLs in that folder appear to be blocked by Windows? If you go into each of their properties check to ensure you don't have a Security message underneath Attributes with 'Unblock'.
image.png

2 minutes ago, Sean P said:

@Jowday

Do you still have an install folder that doesn't work when attempting to run Designer or Photo? If so would you be able to ZIP up and attach the contents in the root  of that folder (you shouldn't need to add the sub folders to save you some time and upload).

Also could you check to see if any of the DLLs in that folder appear to be blocked by Windows? If you go into each of their properties check to ensure you don't have a Security message underneath Attributes with 'Unblock'.

Yep - it is easy to recreate - I did it many times. 

The default install doesn't work. The previous beta folders were removed.

I will upload and check for block.

28 minutes ago, Sean P said:

@Jowday

image.png

Both Designer and Photo beta files uploaded in a min, thanks.

The unblock attribute is not available on any of the files. I only see that attribute on files I personally downloaded from the Internet.

EDIT: Just to make sure, I ran this PowerShell command for both Photo and Designer to no avail:

get-childitem "C:\Program Files\Affinity\Photo Customer Beta" -recurse | unblock-file

I installed every beta since development of 1.9 began - the issues started in build 885 and 891 and only when trying to run Photo and Designer.

• Staff
20 minutes ago, Jowday said:

Both Designer and Photo beta files uploaded in a min, thanks.

The unblock attribute is not available on any of the files. I only see that attribute on files I personally downloaded from the Internet.

Thanks for that - I've downloaded and extracted your Designer folder and locally that starts up for me without an issue. I've also used kdiff3 and run your extracted folder against my contents and all those files are the same!

Would you mind also attaching a copy of that license.xml file from your install directory to that link as well? This behaviour does seem very weird as Mark said, the app should no longer write a file to this directory, and the Beta app should never write it if you already have the release version installed either!

• Staff
6 minutes ago, Jowday said:

I installed every beta since development of 1.9 began - the issues started in build 885 and 891 and only when trying to run Photo and Designer.

I also wonder if you uninstall the current, empty the folder and then reinstall and older build that did work - whether that would still work for you? Also have you tried installing the Beta do a new location (C:\Program Files\Designer Beta - for example)?

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.