You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[Solved] 1.9.0.885/891 doesn't start on Windows 10 Enterprise N (20H2)

SOLVED in 1.9.0.900 RC1

Hi @Mark Ingram

As I mentioned before

• Neither Designer or Photo beta starts from and with build 885 (the prior beta worked)
  • Publisher beta 887 start normally though
  • Repairing .net framework did not work
  • Installing .net runtime 5.0 did work
  • Reinstalling Designer + Photo beta (deleted everything in %appdata% related to them) didn't work
  • Uninstalled FastPictureViewer because of this thread - didn't work
  • The latest release builds of all three run normally
  • Further I am running Windows 10 Enterprise on a freshly updates 20H2 with no knows issues whatsoever, everything runs fine and no error check-ins tools - for example Microsofts .NET checker - report any errors. Only these two apps malfunction

The two apps just terminates immediately with the error message I sent you; cant' reset settings with CTRL.

Build 876 of Designer and Photo works.

So... Interesting that Publisher 887 works - and Photo/Designer 885 does not.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

Don't try too hard to make it work, this beta has a few bugs that make it almost unusable. I had to uninstall it and go back to the previous beta version like many other users. 

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

And I have .885 of both Photo and Designer running just fine on 20H2. (As do, presumably, some other beta users.)

It will be interesting to see what has caused the problem you have.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

It runs fine on my 20H2 too, but there are many bugs that make Photo and Designer unusable right now. When you open a grouped layer they crash instanty. Same thing when copying those layers... I tried but could not do anything useful. So I went back to the previous version. I'm sure a new beta will come out soon as it's quite hard to test this current beta when it crashes every 5 minutes.

Try to open a group from a file created in a previous version, it crashes intantly. Same when I try to copy a layer inside the group.

-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

5 hours ago, AlainP said:

It runs fine on my 20H2 too, but there are many bugs that make Photo and Designer unusable right now. When you open a grouped layer they crash instanty. Same thing when copying those layers... I tried but could not do anything useful. So I went back to the previous version. I'm sure a new beta will come out soon as it's quite hard to test this current beta when it crashes every 5 minutes.

Try to open a group from a file created in a previous version, it crashes intantly. Same when I try to copy a layer inside the group.

Yep, I get these crashes too on the machine that does run them. Until they crash that is.

I won’t try anything else except if asked to. My machine is running smoothly and all apps including Serif apps run perfectly. Except these two betas (885) - but not the third beta (Publisher 887).

I am pretty sure the root cause is hidden in these two betas.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

1 hour ago, Mark Ingram said:

Thanks @Jowday. Just for reference, I'm running 20H2 here without issue. Could you try uninstall and reinstall of your graphics drivers? Do you have any crash dumps you can share?

%APPDATA%\Affinity\Designer\1.0 (Beta)\CrashReports

• Uninstalling driver didn't help (tried running beta 885 without)
  • Reinstalling didn't help (didn't assume it would, it is good old Intel 3000 HD)
  • Crashreports is empty
  • Event viewer log - software is only trace

I am not sure why just these two betas would fail and everything else run perfectly if there was anything wrong in the driver setup or .NET.

Just now, Jowday said:
  • Uninstalling driver didn't help (tried running beta 885 without)
  • Reinstalling didn't help (didn't assume it would, it is good old Intel 3000 HD)
  • Crashreports is empty
  • Event viewer log - software is only trace

OK, so if you delete / rename the entire "1.0 (Beta)" folder, is it re-created at launch?

1 minute ago, Mark Ingram said:

OK, so if you delete / rename the entire "1.0 (Beta)" folder, is it re-created at launch?

Ah, I looked in the release version folder. There is no beta folder. Never gets to create it.

1 minute ago, Jowday said:

Ah, I looked in the release version folder. There is no beta folder. Never gets to create it.

OK, in that case, the application never even starts running (the first thing the app does is create that directory, and start writing to log.txt). .NET must be failing to run the app for some reason. This is very peculiar. 

2 minutes ago, Mark Ingram said:

OK, in that case, the application never even starts running (the first thing the app does is create that directory, and start writing to log.txt). .NET must be failing to run the app for some reason. This is very peculiar. 

Yep it fails to run instanty with .NET runtime errors the ones I sent you

Navn på program med fejl: Photo.exe, version: 1.9.0.885, tidsstempel: 0x5ff59e8a
Navn på modul med fejl: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.19041.662, tidsstempel: 0xec58f015
Undtagelseskode: 0xe0434352
Forskydning med fejl 0x000000000002d759
Proces-id 0x2c74
Programmets starttidspunkt 0x01d6e8d3b25265f8
Programsti: C:\Program Files\Affinity\Photo Customer Beta\Photo.exe
Modulsti: C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
Rapport-id: 9fd0c431-2c60-4127-8de2-9ab27a77a8b1
Fuldt navn på program med fejl: 
Relativt program-id for program med fejl: 

Program: Photo.exe
Framework-version: v4.0.30319
Beskrivelse: Denne proces blev afsluttet pga. en ubehandlet undtagelse.
Undtagelsesoplysninger: undtagelseskoden e0434352, undtagelsesadressen 00007FFE7770D759
Stak:

Fejlbucket 1785631798724274038, type 4
Hændelsesnavn: APPCRASH
Svar: Ikke tilgængelig
Cab-id: 0

Problemsignatur:
P1: Photo.exe
P2: 1.9.0.885
P3: 5ff59e8a
P4: KERNELBASE.dll
P5: 10.0.19041.662
P6: ec58f015
P7: e0434352
P8: 000000000002d759
P9: 
P10: 

5 minutes ago, Mark Ingram said:

Is there another log in the Event Viewer?

With the Source ".NET Runtime". That entry should contain the exception info. Could you include that here?

image.png.f25390f144645f02aff25c95f54c3ddb.png

9 minutes ago, Mark Ingram said:

Any chance you could copy & paste that text in the middle, as my Danish (?) skills are zero 🙂 

Just empty a few cans of Carlsberg and you will speak fluently Danish. You Have to reach the Balmer Peak!

Translated it:

This process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception info: exception code e0434352, exception address 00007FFE7770D759
Stack:

Event ID 1026

For @Mark Ingram

Reinstalled .885 and tested again. Every time I try to open a group from a file created with the previous versions, Photo shuts down with no message. But this time it created a dump file, here it is.

This happens with or without OpenCL, same problem with Designer. Publisher .887 runs perfectly. Latest video drivers and everything is up to date.

901d15f3-5dfc-4c77-bf6a-ebaceba70320.dmp

-- Macbook Air 15"

2 hours ago, Jowday said:

Just empty a few cans of Carlsberg and you will speak fluently Danish. You Have to reach the Balmer Peak!

Translated it:

This process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception info: exception code e0434352, exception address 00007FFE7770D759
Stack:

Event ID 1026

Is there anything on the details tab?

8 minutes ago, Mark Ingram said:

Is there anything on the details tab?

Not much else:

- Provider
      [ Name] .NET Runtime

- EventID 1026
      [ Qualifiers] 0

Version 0

Level 2

Task 0

Opcode 0

Keywords

0x80000000000000

TimeCreated
      [ SystemTime] 2021-01-12T14:28:43.8212203Z

EventRecordID

Correlation

- Execution
      [ ProcessID] 0
      [ ThreadID] 0

Channel Application

And then it repeats:

- EventData
      Program: Photo.exe Framework-version: v4.0.30319 Beskrivelse: Denne proces blev afsluttet pga. en ubehandlet undtagelse. Undtagelsesoplysninger: undtagelseskoden e0434352, undtagelsesadressen 00007FFE7770D759 Stak:

1 minute ago, Mark Ingram said:

Hmm, literally zero useful information in any of that unfortunately 😞 Thanks anyway @Jowday. I'll be doing another beta build shortly, so let me know if that one works...

Will do - thank you for your effort. 🙂

Here is a part of the dump file if it can be of any help:

Application: Photo.exe Framework Version: v4.0.30319 Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception. Exception Info: System.AccessViolationException at <Module>.DocumentInspectorNode.GetVisibleIndex(DocumentInspectorNode*) at Serif.Affinity.UI.Controls.LayerView.OnUnrealizeItemCommand(System.Object) at Serif.Windows.Data.CommandHelper.ExecuteCommand(System.Windows.Input.ICommand, System.Windows.IInputElement, System.Object) at Serif.Affinity.UI.Controls.VirtualizingTreeView.ClearContainerForItemOverride(System.Windows.DependencyObject, System.Object) at System.Windows.Controls.ItemsControl.MS.Internal.Controls.IGeneratorHost.ClearContainerForItem(System.Windows.DependencyObject, System.Object) at System.Windows.Controls.ItemContainerGenerator.UnlinkContainerFromItem(System.Windows.DependencyObject, System.Object, MS.Internal.Controls.IGeneratorHost) at System.Windows.Controls.ItemContainerGenerator.RemoveAllInternal(Boolean) at System.Windows.Controls.ItemContainerGenerator.OnRefresh() at System.Windows.Controls.ItemContainerGenerator.OnCollectionChanged(System.Object, System.Collections.Specialized.NotifyCollectionChangedEventArgs) at System.Windows.WeakEventManager+ListenerList`1[[System.__Canon, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089]].DeliverEvent(System.Object, System.EventArgs, System.Type) at System.Windows.WeakEventManager.DeliverEvent(System.Object, System.EventArgs) at System.Collections.Specialized.NotifyCollectionChangedEventHandler.Invoke(System.Object, System.Collections.Specialized.NotifyCollectionChangedEventArgs) at System.Windows.Data.CollectionView.OnCollectionChanged(System.Collections.Specialized.NotifyCollectionChangedEventArgs) at System.Windows.WeakEventManager+ListenerList`1[[System.__Canon, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089]].DeliverEvent(System.Object, System.EventArgs, System.Type) at System.Windows.WeakEventManager.DeliverEvent(System.Object, System.EventArgs) at System.Windows.Data.CollectionView.OnCollectionChanged(System.Collections.Specialized.NotifyCollectionChangedEventArgs) at System.Windows.Data.ListCollectionView.RefreshOverride() at System.Windows.Data.CollectionView.RefreshInternal() at Serif.Interop.Persona.Data.VirtualizedCollection`1[[System.__Canon, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089]].raise_CollectionChanged(System.Object, System.Collections.Specialized.NotifyCollectionChangedEventArgs) at Serif.Interop.Persona.Data.VirtualizedCollection`1[[System.__Canon, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089]].OnCollectionChanged(System.Collections.Specialized.NotifyCollectionChangedAction) at Serif.Interop.Persona.Data.VirtualizedCollection`1[[System.__Canon, mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089]].Clear() at Serif.Affinity.UI.Controls.LayerView.Repopulate() at MS.Internal.Commands.CommandHelpers.CriticalExecuteCommandSource(System.Windows.Input.ICommandSource, Boolean) at System.Windows.Controls.Primitives.ButtonBase.OnClick() at System.Windows.Controls.Primitives.ButtonBase.OnMouseLeftButtonUp(System.Windows.Input.MouseButtonEventArgs) at System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs.InvokeHandler(System.Delegate, System.Object) at System.Windows.RoutedEventHandlerInfo.InvokeHandler(System.Object, System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs) at System.Windows.EventRoute.InvokeHandlersImpl(System.Object, System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs, Boolean) at System.Windows.UIElement.ReRaiseEventAs(System.Windows.DependencyObject, System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs, System.Windows.RoutedEvent) at System.Windows.UIElement.OnMouseUpThunk(System.Object, System.Windows.Input.MouseButtonEventArgs) at System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs.InvokeHandler(System.Delegate, System.Object) at System.Windows.RoutedEventHandlerInfo.InvokeHandler(System.Object, System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs) at System.Windows.EventRoute.InvokeHandlersImpl(System.Object, System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs, Boolean) at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEventImpl(System.Windows.DependencyObject, System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs) at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseTrustedEvent(System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs) at System.Windows.Input.InputManager.ProcessStagingArea() at System.Windows.Input.InputManager.ProcessInput(System.Windows.Input.InputEventArgs) at System.Windows.Input.InputProviderSite.ReportInput(System.Windows.Input.InputReport) at System.Windows.Interop.HwndMouseInputProvider.ReportInput(IntPtr, System.Windows.Input.InputMode, Int32, System.Windows.Input.RawMouseActions, Int32, Int32, Int32) at System.Windows.Interop.HwndMouseInputProvider.FilterMessage(IntPtr, MS.Internal.Interop.WindowMessage, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef) at System.Windows.Interop.HwndSource.InputFilterMessage(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef) at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr, Boolean ByRef) at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(System.Object) at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32) at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(System.Object, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32, System.Delegate) at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.LegacyInvokeImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherPriority, System.TimeSpan, System.Delegate, System.Object, Int32) at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr, Int32, IntPtr, IntPtr) at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessage(System.Windows.Interop.MSG ByRef) at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrameImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherFrame) at System.Windows.Application.RunDispatcher(System.Object) at System.Windows.Application.RunInternal(System.Windows.Window) at Photo.Application.Main(System.String[])

-- Macbook Air 15"

20 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:

Hmm, literally zero useful information in any of that unfortunately 😞 Thanks anyway @Jowday. I'll be doing another beta build shortly, so let me know if that one works...

Doesn't run either. 😞

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.