You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How do I clone from one layer to another?

In the photo below my kid's feet are a separate layer, on top of the dirt layer.  I'm trying to clone some of the dirt to place around the feet, to make it look more realistic.  But cloning from the dirt (background) layer to the feet does not work.  How can I clone from one layer to another?

-Thanks

image.png.0c9daf02c9d4dcee55d83b4e7d3fc91f.png

Use the Current Layer and Below from the Context Bar. Or just the Layers Beneath.

1469704141_ScreenShot2021-01-11at12_05_42PM.png.d66a560b9cdb61b1c1cffbbd0edcb445.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

3 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

Use the Current Layer and Below from the Context Bar. Or just the Layers Beneath.

1469704141_ScreenShot2021-01-11at12_05_42PM.png.d66a560b9cdb61b1c1cffbbd0edcb445.png

Thank you!  I did not see this option initially.  My context bar has a >> all the way to the right.  If I click on that I see this option.  That's what I get for editing photos on my 17" laptop!  :)

• 1 month later...

I have a similar problem - imagine this …

A background layer of a landscape.

A middle layer with a rendered 3D model of a building.

A 'foreground' layer for any elements to bring 'forward' of the building - for example, a tree which would actually be in front of the building.

How would I use the clone tool to clone the tree from the background to the foreground layer - while keeping the building layer visible so I can control the results.

The options of 'Current Layer & Below' or 'Layers Beneath'  won't work as they would also clone the middle layer.

Photoshop can clone from a specific layer to another - any way to do this in Affinity Photo?

• 1 year later...

Cloning to ALL Layers From Global Source

This took a bit of tinkering to figure out after seeing the post about "Source: Current Layer" options.  What we're all looking for isn't the options in that menu but the button beside it which is "Add Global Source" and click on the source when the new list pops up with the source in it to make sure it's selected as a global source.  Then and only then will your current layer source end up carrying over to other layers.  Without this button it will just copy what's on the same layer only to keep it on that same layer. 

For example, copy a tree from layer 3 to clone TO layer 5, it will only add what's been cloned to layer 3 and if you chose layers below it will only put cloned from 2 on layer 2 and only put cloned from 1 on layer 1. 

None of the cloning goes to another layer than it's source no matter which menu option is chosen without pressing Add Global Source and selecting which one(s) you want to be global. 

I've just now also noticed that after you add a global source the word "Global" appears in the options at the bottom.

2022-05-07 04_29_15-Affinity Photo.png