You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

7 minutes ago, mliving said:

I completely rebooted my MacBook Pro before relaunching the apps so nothing would be cached.

And this afternoon was the first time I started my MacBook Pro since last evening the the app opening speed was still 2 sec.

I've rebooted mine after fast opening and sometimes it still opens fast.  Sometimes it doesn't.  Like I said, it's very unpredictable.  Come back in a couple weeks and let us know if any of the apps have reverted to 20+ seconds.

Basically, Affinity has said that the problem is with some sort of "check" with Apple servers that is failing.  Why they are the only app that has this check is yet to be explained.  I don't think (and my results don't show) that switching how the video works fixes the startup glitch.

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, mliving said:

Just a quick update.

I've been using all Affinity apps daily since May 16 when I turned on Metal instead of OpenGL and ALL apps continue to open in 2 secs.

:)

Have you rebooted a few times?  I just rebooted and my apps are back to 15 bounces before opening.  Before rebooting, they were quick at launching.  As a matter of fact, right after updating to macOS 15.4 they still launched fast.  But did a manual restart and then back to slow again.  Checked Preferences and still on "Metal" for all three apps.

14 hours ago, mliving said:

DEMinSoCAL, I have rebooted regularly during this period and have not had any slow app launches.

Seems you have hit upon a bit of good luck then.  Metal didn't work for me as a fix.  Unfortunately, no one else has chimed in with their experience using Metal setting.

4 hours ago, DEMinSoCAL said:

Seems you have hit upon a bit of good luck then.  Metal didn't work for me as a fix.  Unfortunately, no one else has chimed in with their experience using Metal setting.

Doesn’t work for me either on intel 27 inch iMac even after changing to metal. Best option I found close down the iMac select reopen app when logging back in, assuming you have the Affinity Apps open. When you start up the iMac the following day the apps appear quickly .

• 2 weeks later...

Another update.

Last evening I cold started Designer after booting up my MacBook Pro and for some reason both Designer and Photo both took 20-30 secs. to open. Nothing had changed on my system aside from installing a few new fonts.

I rebooted several times and the slow app start persisted. I figured my fast app open free ride was over.

BUT... this morning I started my MacBook Pro and alas all Affinity apps now open in 2 secs. I can not explain what is happening. Nothing at all chaged on my system from last evening and this morning but no the less all my Affinity apps again open very quickly.

Very strange behaviour.

For what it's worth, when I changed to metal there was not much of an improvement, but then I cranked up the available RAM to the mid-way point and things improved greatly.

Mac Pro (Mid 2010) 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon - 16GB RAM - ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB - Asus ProArt  24" 1920 x 1200

iMac 2017 Quad-Core Intel 2.4GHz Cor i5 - 21.5'' Retina 4K - 8Gb RAM - 1TB Fusion drive - Radion Pro 560 4GB - Ventura 13.0.1

Dell Inspiron 15 7000 Series 7559 - i7 6700HQ - 16Mb RAM - 128Gb SSD 1Tb HD - Nvidia GEFORCE GTX 960M 4Gb GDDR5 RAM - 4K

Asus N56V i7 3630QM 2.40GHz; 8Mb RAM; 1Tb HD; 64 bit. Nvidia GT 650M 2Gb: 1920 x 1080 - 2nd Monitor: Asus ProArt  24": 1920 x 1200

• 3 weeks later...

Hey folks,

Today I did my monthly Super Duper! backup and after the backup finished I shutdown my MBP.

I just started my MBP and opened Affinity Designer (Photo and Publisher) and they are all back to 30+ sec. start up time again.

Strange.

• 6 months later...