You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

47 minutes ago, olivergrosche said:

after setting

0.0.0.0  ocsp2.apple.com
0.0.0.0  ocsp.apple.com

in the etc/hosts

it´s seems to be ok now...

sorry, it wasnt that.
actually i completely disabled sip with csrutil disable.

that is speeding up everything. also wine-apps... 👍 

That SIP disable has to be done in recovery mode, right?

• 4 months later...

Hey guys. It's now March 2022 and latest versions installed, yet still the software 'bounces' in the tray 22 times before even beginning to load.  I'm trying to convince my friends that Affinity is the way to go but this 'bug' is pretty frustrating one tbh.   Any news on fix?   Cheers

On 3/28/2022 at 2:49 AM, Megat Zulfadhli said:

The workarounds are remove Affinity Designer icon on Dock, then go to your Application folder, copy Affinity Designer and paste it in the same folder. Drag the original Affinity Designer into Bin and remove. Rename the new copy to Affinity Designer.

Try to restart and launch the application again to see if it works.

I tried that sometime ago and it worked for awhile. What does seem to work is when you close down the iMac select reopen app when logging back in, assuming you have the Affinity Apps open. When you start up the iMac the following day the apps appear quickly .

2 minutes ago, paschulke2 said:

It works. But only for a while (maybe a week or two).

Affinity: when will this be fixed? It's very annoying!

You are fooling yourself if you think, after almost 18 months, that Affinity is actually working on fixing this.  They aren't.  

4 minutes ago, DEMinSoCAL said:

You are fooling yourself if you think, after almost 18 months, that Affinity is actually working on fixing this.  They aren't.  

I did not and do not think that they are working on it. Let's rephrase my question:

Affinity: When will you start to work on this very annoying problem?

Is this bug a way of "convincing" the Apple Store users to buy another version through the Affinity Store?

5 minutes ago, paschulke2 said:

I did not and do not think that they are working on it. Let's rephrase my question:

Affinity: When will you start to work on this very annoying problem?

Is this bug a way of "convincing" the Apple Store users to buy another version through the Affinity Store?

I think the issue is more to do with Apple rather than Affinity. I found keeping the apps open when shutting down and selecting reopen app when logging in worked for me.

• 3 weeks later...

The temporary fix I've read about before (key word, "temporary") is to hold down the Control key when opening and clearing the user settings.

• The next launch at least will be quicker.
  • Launches after that might be quick or not (I don't know what triggers slowness to return).
  • Obviously this removes all of your previous changes to brushes, etc.

They REALLY need to fix this. Slow launch is a terrible productivity hit and a barrier to wanting to use the software vs opening in something else. Needing to lose your settings is also a productivity hit and is irritating.

On 4/1/2022 at 7:52 AM, ianhg said:

I think the issue is more to do with Apple rather than Affinity. I found keeping the apps open when shutting down and selecting reopen app when logging in worked for me.

Affinity will have you believe that.  Yet no other apps have this annoying delay.  My Pixelmator Pro from the App Store starts instantly, for example.  Affinity seems content to sit on their hands and point the blame on Apple instead of changing their App store version so there isn't such a huge delay.  The "copy-of-app" fix  doesn't work anymore -- they take forever to launch now.  

2 minutes ago, DEMinSoCAL said:

No, but for me, I don't use all the Affinity apps all the time.  So keeping them all open all the time is just a waste of resources.  

Just try it with the one you use the most and see if it helps you. 

• 5 weeks later...

I "had" the same problem with my new M1 Max MacBook and I tried a couple of suggestions I found here in the Affinity forums and while one suggestion (copy app to Desktop, rename or delete original app, copy app back to Applications folder) cut the start up time almost in half, it still took quite a bit longer then Publisher which opens in 2 secs.

So I was looking in the Preferences in Designer and I noticed that Display rendering was set to OpenGL so I changed it to Metal and restarted my MacBook Pro and Designer and Photo now open in 2 sec. just like Publisher.

Hope this helps everyone!

Screen Shot 2022-05-17 at 9.25.29 PM.png

13 hours ago, mliving said:

I "had" the same problem with my new M1 Max MacBook and I tried a couple of suggestions I found here in the Affinity forums and while one suggestion (copy app to Desktop, rename or delete original app, copy app back to Applications folder) cut the start up time almost in half, it still took quite a bit longer then Publisher which opens in 2 secs.

So I was looking in the Preferences in Designer and I noticed that Display rendering was set to OpenGL so I changed it to Metal and restarted my MacBook Pro and Designer and Photo now open in 2 sec. just like Publisher.

Hope this helps everyone!

Screen Shot 2022-05-17 at 9.25.29 PM.png

I would have to say that whatever issue you were seeing with the long delay that was somewhat fixed by the "copy app" workaround is not fixed by this OpeGL--> Metal switch because while Designer was set to OpenGL, my Photo and Publisher were already on Metal and have had the slow start for over a year.  Logically, this switch may fix some other slow startup issue but not the one that plagues the App Store apps.

• Staff
1 hour ago, DEMinSoCAL said:

I would have to say that whatever issue you were seeing with the long delay that was somewhat fixed by the "copy app" workaround is not fixed by this OpeGL--> Metal switch because while Designer was set to OpenGL, my Photo and Publisher were already on Metal and have had the slow start for over a year. 

Just a thought, but could you please try switching Photo to OpenGL, running once & exit, Run again and switch back to Metal and exit. Then running up again.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

2 hours ago, mliving said:

Just a quick follow up.

All Affinity apps started in 2 sec. after a cold boot this afternoon.

Seems to be working for me.

And that is normal behavior.  Even after copying the apps and running those, while it seems to work for a while, it stops working and reverts back to 20+ bounces on the taskbar, requiring you to do the "fix" again.  I know you think you found a fix, but give it time.  

You mentioned in your post that Designer was already launching in 2 seconds before any "fix".  If that's the case, you don't have the problem the rest of us have.  ALL the apps take 20+ bounces before they open.  But once open, they tend to open quickly, even after a reboot, but WILL revert to super slow open soon.

I don't see how making a preference change in ONE APP affects all the other apps (if it even does).

4 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

Just a thought, but could you please try switching Photo to OpenGL, running once & exit, Run again and switch back to Metal and exit. Then running up again.

Of course that seems to work because once you run an app, it starts quickly thereafter.  But after I restart, Photo goes back to 22 bounces to start (expected).

• Staff

Yes sorry I overlooked that (it has been a while I should have remembered)

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Just to be clear.

Before the app copy work around Designer and Photo took 25+ sec to open. After the app copy work around their opening time dropped to 15 sec.

I purchased Designer and Photo from the app store. I purchased Publisher directly from Affinity and have never had an issue with it's opening time.

After switching the display rendering to Metal I saw an immediate improvement in the opening times of Designer and Photo to 2 sec.

I spoke to a developer who seems to think that the delay maybe caused by the app setting up the OpenGL rendering environment.

I have the exact problem on my old Late 2012 iMac which I thought was related to it's age and configuration (i5/8GB ram).

But I made the same Preference changes (Not App copy) to All apps individually, and the difference was noticeable.

Before change/After change
Designer: 35+/15
Photo: 25+/16
Publisher: 20/4

Hope this helps.

19 minutes ago, DEMinSoCAL said:

Of course that seems to work because once you run an app, it starts quickly thereafter.  But after I restart, Photo goes back to 22 bounces to start (expected).

I completely rebooted my MacBook Pro before relaunching the apps so nothing would be cached.

And this afternoon was the first time I started my MacBook Pro since last evening the the app opening speed was still 2 sec.

2 minutes ago, mliving said:

I completely rebooted my MacBook Pro before relaunching the apps so nothing would be cached.

And this afternoon was the first time I started my MacBook Pro since last evening the the app opening speed was still 2 sec.

I'm not disproving your results, I'm saying the OpenGL --> Metal change doesn't work for me.  I do know that the apps don't always stall on opening after a reboot. It's very random.  As is how long the copy-app "fix" stays working.  

By your results above, Designer and Photo should be opening in 2-4 seconds normally.  Even after your "fix", they still take 15+ seconds.  That's not "fixed".  Is it quicker?  Yes, but not "fixed".  

I just don't want others to think that switching an app to Metal fixes the app so it opens in 2-4 seconds because it doesn't.