You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Data Merge - Using different Master-page

Is it possible to use 2 Master pages in same Generate file from data merge.

I'll try to explain.

I have a list of awards in 2 languages. Some people get it in two languages but most of them have only one. The two awards have a different layout because of the language.

I know i can add all elements in one master page, but when generated the empty fields are left inside from the language that is not needed. And i know i could make two separate files.

So what I'm trying to say, can I somehow have two master pages, one for English and the other for lets say German layout. 

I'm just trying to figure out the limit of Data Merge. 

Am attaching an Excel file of the list to show what i mean. List.xlsx

THX

OS Name    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Version    10.0.17134 Build 17134
System Type    x64-based PC

• Staff

Hi @Rondem,

Sorry for the delayed reply. 

Yes and no. You could have a master page (say left spread for DE, right spread for EN) and only place the DE columns on one, and the EN columns on the other. Buuuut, the problem is you gonna have "empty" left/right spreads where you won't have the data. So you would end up with a lot of manual clean up. However, there is bug that prevents you from doing so (those empty rows will duplicate the next value)

It would be much easier to just split the list in 3 sections. DE only, EN only, and a mixture. This way you will have everything as you need it, without having to manual clean the result. 

6 hours ago, Gabe said:

Hi @Rondem,

Sorry for the delayed reply. 

Yes and no. You could have a master page (say left spread for DE, right spread for EN) and only place the DE columns on one, and the EN columns on the other. Buuuut, the problem is you gonna have "empty" left/right spreads where you won't have the data. So you would end up with a lot of manual clean up. However, there is bug that prevents you from doing so (those empty rows will duplicate the next value)

It would be much easier to just split the list in 3 sections. DE only, EN only, and a mixture. This way you will have everything as you need it, without having to manual clean the result. 

Thx for reply. I thought it was dificult way to do it in one shot. 

Maby just a thought. What if there was an option to not add objects/fields that are empty in the generated document. 

OS Name    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Version    10.0.17134 Build 17134
System Type    x64-based PC

• Staff

Just a quick update. What we saw here was actually caused by having 2 data merge layouts, and the record advance set to 1. So not a bug. 

You can achieve the correct result by using a normal page(not master), with fields inserted directly in a text frame, rather than using a Data Merge Layout tool. Like this: image.png

You would still end up with empty pages( there is no data driven record control at the moment) but you would have the correct pages. 

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.