You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Loving the trial guys!

It's a long time since I've used a drawing program (back in the days of Aldus Freehand, which I loved).

It was easy to move the x:y zero points (in Freehand) by dragging them from the top left hand corner of the rulers. I've tried this in AD but it doesn't work.

Is it possible to move the axis zero points in AD?

If yes, how?

Thanks in advance :)

Affinity Designer feels like familiar territory, albeit with a lot more functionality. Very thankful to have found you. I can't wait to be up to speed and know my way around. I feel a purchase coming on…

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Staff

Hi IsabelAracama,

No not yet. With the introduction or artboards a few things needed some adjustements (guides, rulers, snapping) since we now have an independent coordinate system for each artboard. This is currently being worked on. Only after those changes the custom origin point can be considered.

• 11 months later...

Here are some rulers I created.

I came across this post while searching.

Attached are some rulers I created.

The accuracy is as good as I could get it, based on AffDes. own rulers. 

File Ruler LSC = Landscape.

Ruler is in centimers, divisions in mm.

Document size = A4, rulers extend beyond document edges from zero point outwards.

To use : open document, select >copy the Ruler Group itself to your own document, then paste.

To move the zero point: select the ruler group & move

To position the ruler in portrait : select rulergroup & transform the group 90 deg.

Colors can be changed by selecting the entire group, then pick a new color.

They can be used in AFDes & AFPhoto

Hope this helps,

Feel free to implement improvements.

Here are some rulers I created.

[…]

Feel free to implement improvements.

Crazy, never thought that somebody would really start that.

Probably Serif will add inches, points, nm etc. soon because they promised the needed feature a few seconds ago.  ;) Until this will happen in some years try this.  ;)

• 1 year later...

I understand, but I think the development of new features is slow. Have I pointed out many bugs and the result? Nothing, no change. This example - 3 years !!! for such a basic function? Sorry, but we're not in the Middle Ages. Both programs are great in many ways, but ....

• Staff

Hi J a n,
This is not a bug, but a new feature/improvement. In a few cases new feature/improvements are tied to other parts/features of the program which must be re-written/rethink to accommodate the changes these additions require. That's the case here where several tools/grid/guides etc had to be rewritten (for v1.7) to allow future expansion/new capabilities.

Regarding reported bugs, we are fixing them as fast as possible according to their severity/reported times/dependency on other features/fixes etc.

Sure, I know. This problem is not an bug. But I pointed out the bugs. And no change. Just - we fix it. But how long should I wait? Ok, we wait, but our customers will not wait.
I don't know if I it write English correctly (my English is terrible, sorry), but ... Criticism is the only driving force of progress.

„… for such s basic function“.

I assume, I am working as a graphic designer longer than you are on earth, but I never ever needed this feature.

This doesn‘t mean, it is unnecessary, but It means, it is all but „basic“.

If you ask 500 users for their basic, indispensable and „should be there from the beginning“-features, you will get an application, which isn‘t useable any more.

So work with the application „as is“, look forward for future developments, or, well, look for an application, which has all your favorite features (guess what? I know one! :))

" I assume, I am working as a graphic designer longer than you are on earth, but I never ever needed this feature. "

And so it is always. First - criticism. And then the insult comes. The same moderator here wrote in 2015 "This is coming soon with more improvements." Now is June 2018 and nothing.
As a graphic artist I worked in the first half of the nineties. In Corel, I think PC with CPU 286. And you, mac?

Btw, this feature in Illustrator was used by everyone I knew.